Problems After You've Reached Your Goal

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
Everything is not perfect when you lose a lot of weight. It’s not the end of a movie where everything is flawless and not one thing is out of place. There are problems for you after losing a lot of weight that you may not even think about and the following might help you prepare for what is to come.

• Way too many clothes that don’t fit.
Before losing weight this was a problem too but everything was too tight but at least you still had a couple of 'fat day' clothes. After you lose a lot of weight nothing fits you anymore and you look like Hobo even in your ‘fat day’ clothes. You have to buy a whole new wardrobe and that can get expensive. Don’t forget when the weather changes into winter or summer you’ll have to buy new clothes all over again for the clothes that you had stored away for the season. This includes coats/jackets which no longer fit properly too. You’ll be buying more shoes also, with all the exercise that you’ll be doing the treads on your shoes will wear out four times faster.

• You’ll be a lot colder.
I can’t believe how cold I get now. I use to be one of those guys who could wear shorts all the time (Yes, I know that’s not fashionable but my modeling career never took off, so who gives a flip). It didn’t matter if it was below freezing my legs just wouldn’t get cold. Now, I feel as if I’m freezing all the time and I always have to check the thermostat to see if someone has turned down the heat.

• Wedding ring doesn’t fit anymore.
My wedding ring was one to the triggers that started my weight loss journey; it was getting too tight and on the verge of not coming off at all. Now, the things always flopping around on my finger and I have to take it off a lot in fear of losing it while doing activities.

• Having to always be asked, “What’s the secret?” by everyone you’ve ever come into contact with before you lost the weight.
Short answer, there is no secret, eat less and exercise more. No one believes you though and you have to spend a lot of time convincing them that there is no secret diet out there.

• It’s a lot harder to lose weight now.
I put some weight back on after Halloween so I took myself off of maintaining to lose it. It was a whole lot easier to lose three pounds, 80lbs. ago, than it is to lose it now.

• Picky eating
Even after losing weight and you’re maintaining you still have to pay attention to what you’re eating. Just because you can eat more now that you’ve reached your goal doesn’t mean that the 'all you can eat buffet' is open. I can attest to that from my Halloween experience that I just went through. Plus, your friends get irritated with you when you’re still picky about where you eat once you’ve told them you’ve reached your goal. They at least could understand when you were on a 'diet'.

• It’s hard to get out of your routine.
My exercise routine is what got me to my destination, but I’ve found it hard to deviate from it. I can take more time off from it now but I find it hard to do that and that’s a sign of insanity to me. If I don’t get my exercise in for the day there’s a part of my brain that yells at me to ‘just do it!’ even now that I’m just maintaining. If I go out for a night of fun it’s not as fun as it could be because of that insane little voice in my head critiquing me.

• No more excuses.
My weekends use to be full of naps. I’d never get any chores done because I was always tired and would nap my weekends away. Now that I’ve always got energy or I’ve found time to exercise, my wife doesn’t buy the excuse that I had a hard week and need a nap during my Saturday/Sunday afternoons.

Many of these problems are a good problems to have and what I’m really trying say is just be prepared for some of these changes that you may have when you finally reach your goal. I wouldn’t trade any of these ‘little’ problems for the ‘big’ problems that I was facing before taking my journey and they’re all worth it. Good luck to you all and I hope all of you get to enjoy the problems that I'm having now.

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Great post Dan! Thanks. :bigsmile:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    LOL. All TRUE. AND to add to the clothes not fitting - now that you're in shape and looking good - you're way more likely to buy some snazzy clothes that look nice. T-shirts and jeans or sweats or whatever will fit is a lot cheaper than the stuff I buy now. Darn it!

And yes, the questions ROLL IN. What'd you do, what's the secret, only watching calories? So I have to eat healthy? Like what kind of food? (This last one always with a look of disgust.) But still, I wouldn't trade it!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm very close to my goal weight and I have realized that none of my pants fit me anymore. I have 1 pair of jeans that was too tight when I bought them, then suddenly fit perfectly, and now are baggy in all of the areas that flatter me least. But I have been wearing them every day practically until I can get to a store and buy some new ones. The jeans I just bought only a month ago are falling off of me. Yes, I'm happy that I'm reaching my goal. Yes, it feels good to be confident and healthier.

But I wish the clothes could shrink with me.
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head! I've found that when people ask "How did you do it?" they don't really even want to know the answer.....their eyes glaze over immediately after asking the question.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    Many of these problems are a good problems to have and what I’m really trying say is just be prepared for some of these changes that you may have when you finally reach your goal. I wouldn’t trade any of these ‘little’ problems for the ‘big’ problems that I was facing before taking my journey and they’re all worth it. Good luck to you all and I hope all of you get to enjoy the problems that I'm having now.
    I can relate to so many of the problems you listed, but I agree that they're good problems to have for the most part and wouldn't trade them for "before," but still, they are a reality. Thanks for the post and the smile!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Excellent post-thanks for taking the time to write it! So true about the clothes. I'm not quite finished yet but I have had to buy a few things because my pants were falling off (a lot of women's pants don't have belt loops) or I looked like a clown with a goiter. I also agree with the "secret" folks. What's funny is I"ve sent a number of friends here but they don't want to put in the effort to enter their food so they've all quit and kind of make snide comments to me about "that fitness thingy" even while they want to know my "secret"! I"ve also had arguments with people that I must be giving up carbs or some other food and must be starving. Arguments! Congratulations on 80 lbs!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    It does irritate me when people act like they don't believe me about eat-less-move-more method of weight-loss. I think what irks me more than that is when people complain about being fat, but refuse to count calories. Live with your fatness and shut the heck up is what I say.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost my wedding ring because of weight loss! It just fell off and didn't realize it until my wife asked me about it. Good thing she is secure & knows I love her & wouldn"t do anything! THe point ? Get your ring adjusted & put tape or string on it until you do! My ring was a family airloom & non replaceable! Congrats on your loss!
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this, i am not at my goal but have lost almost 90 total and i feel much of the same. I am glad to know i am not alone. hardest is I used to always be HOT, now i am FREEZING too :(
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    OMG I so agree about the getting colder thing!!!! I'm not even TO my goal yet, and I can already tell a difference. My parents were here over Thanksgiving and THEY noticed that I'm getting colder easier. It used to be if I was cold, they KNEW it was cold because I've always run hot (even as a baby...I could never be in those bundle things because I would get WAY too hot and flip out).

In no way, shape or form do I want those extra 33 pounds back, but dang...I wish I could keep the warmth they provided!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head! I've found that when people ask "How did you do it?" they don't really even want to know the answer.....their eyes glaze over immediately after asking the question.

LOL. I wish eyes would just glaze over. I had family ask me my "secret" recently while they spread butter on literally everything they eat (including toaster strudels - wth - and crackers just as a side dish). THEN upon telling them some eating healthy tips, they chimed in with everything they knew about weight loss! From people that had eaten probably 5-6 tablespoons of butter since the opening of the conversation!
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty...good luck keeping yourself in check...below 200 is a great goal and a reasonable one. I'm right behind you with 25 more to go, good to know someone who made it.
    AL.
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    Great Post!

Two things I realized when I lost 75 pounds that I had issues with were.... the fact everyone kept asking me if i was sick or had cancer, cause how else could someone lose that much weight and the mental challenge behind buying clothes. For months after I lost all that weight I was still picking up a size 16.

The above are two things I never thought id have to deal with and this time around while im trying to lose the weight I gained during my pregnancy I am keeping them in mind so its easier to deal with when I reach that goal.

Yes, its s great to lose all that weight but for me I wasnt prepared for the mental games associated with weight loss and think its something people should be aware of.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    One big issue I've had (and seen others have) is that you set out to reach this amazing goal, then pull it off after struggle and sacrifice, but somehow the results don't seem as grand as you originally envisioned. I have a MUCH better slef-image, but it never quite got to where I want it to be, which is why I'm still working after all these years.

People also tend to think that weight loss will fix problems they have. I can tell you right now, if you don't like yourself atleast a little when you're fat, you're not going to miracualously start loving yourself when you're thin. Sometimes there are other issues going on that need attention beyond just losing weight.

Just something to think about.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    ^
    Wow. Nice spelling, huh?
    ^
  • TateFTW
    Options

LOL. I wish eyes would just glaze over. I had family ask me my "secret" recently while they spread butter on literally everything they eat (including toaster strudels - wth - and crackers just as a side dish). THEN upon telling them some eating healthy tips, they chimed in with everything they knew about weight loss! From people that had eaten probably 5-6 tablespoons of butter since the opening of the conversation!

YES!!! My wifes father loves talking about nutrition. Unfortunately that didn't stop him from having a heart attack a couple months ago. Luckily he's fine, but he STILL puts loads and loads of salt on everything, and is unwilling to stop eating fried food.

If people would stop running with their mouths and start running with their feet, they'd start to get somewhere.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I welcome all of these "problems" especially the hobo fat day clothes!! I can't believe i use to fill out a 4xl shirt o happy days!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Great Post!

Two things I realized when I lost 75 pounds that I had issues with were.... the fact everyone kept asking me if i was sick or had cancer, cause how else could someone lose that much weight and the mental challenge behind buying clothes. For months after I lost all that weight I was still picking up a size 16.

The above are two things I never thought id have to deal with and this time around while im trying to lose the weight I gained during my pregnancy I am keeping them in mind so its easier to deal with when I reach that goal.

Yes, its s great to lose all that weight but for me I wasnt prepared for the mental games associated with weight loss and think its something people should be aware of.

YES with the sizes!!! I've finally stopped asking for an XL shirt (unless it's one of those intentionally small women's t-shirts), but now i have to adjust to asking for a M. I picked up my stuff for a race I did on Sunday, and got a size L shirt. Put it on on Monday and the shoulder lines are like an inch or more down my arms. I'm going to ask if I can try on a M when I pick up my stuff for Saturday's race just to see. It's so hard to stop seeing yourself as the size you were!! When I got new coats over Thanksgiving (the parents were here and bought them for me), I put on an XL out of habit and another guy sitting there said "I think that one's too big for you!" Made me feel good, but wow! :)
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with being cold easily.. I need more blankets and hoodies if anyone wants to send some to me let me know. Thanks
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    I have managed to avoid getting cold by cleverly (OK, coincidentally) timing my weight loss with menopause. I'll gladly share my hot flashes with anyone who wants them!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!