Why Women Lift

Options

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    To help with carrying babies and lifting cast iron frying pans.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    because it's awesome.... and I hate cardio.

I don't care about the health benefits- I love lifting. Period.

And muscles.

I love muscles.

Pretty much this. I feel like I'm dying when I do cardio. I feel empowered when I weight train.

And when I say "dying" I mean "dying of boredom because it sucks" not "dying because I'm out of shape."

^^This. ALL of this. Soooo all of this (JoRocka and Hollydubs)!!! Cardio, unless it's recreational, is pure hell. :tongue:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I lift for ripped abs and strong shoulders.
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    because it gives me an *kitten* you can bounce a coin off of!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it
    It's good for my health
    It makes my body look good
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I usually do Zumba for cardio but am interested in how to get started on lifting weights. I'm in my late 50's and don't want flabby arms or tummy. What's a good web site to learn from for beginners? Thanks!

Good for you for taking an interest :drinker: !

A couple good resources you can google:

- Starting Strength
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - New Rules of Lifting for Women (book)

If you have access to a gym, I highly reccomend hiring a personal trainer for 3-5 sessions to get you started and teach you proper form. I would also come prepared with the workouts you want to learn (one of the above) so they don't start you off on the wrong foot (i.e. lifting pink dumbbells).

Good luck to you, you won't regret it!

Never too old to start lifting. I started last year at age 53. I want to be fit and fabulous when I grow up. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women Check out this mfp group.
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I lift because I like feeling strong. It makes me feel secure and confident.

I lift because I like exercising, but I'm really bad a running. I make gains in strength if I put in effort in a way I've never succeeded with cardio.

I lift because it's good for my health and I want to be a healthy mother one day and live a long and active life.

I lift because it's useful to be able to move big things.

I lift because it makes my arms and legs and butt look good and my waist gets smaller, and my boobs sit higher on my chest. I know there's no real cure for cellulite, but I seem to have less of it when I'm squatting regularly.

One day my mom and I went away for a ladies weekend. We were in the hotel gym and she was on a bike watching me deadlift. She said to me "Why do you want to be SO strong?"

I looked at her like I thought she was crazy. I asked her "What if I need to lift something heavy?"

She said "We'll that's what your husband is for!"

I said, "What if something heavy falls on him?" :D
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I lift for the endorphins it gives me and everything that follows after. Better health, known strength, better performance, regulated hormones, uncontrollable sex drive, and looking good in my skin suit.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I lift because when I leave the gym after a session I feel like pounding my chest and yelling like a maniac. It's a rush.

And I can fit it into my day. It felt like the law of diminishing returns set it too quickly when I was just running. Run longer, or harder, or...I can just LIFT HEAVIER and make gains in the same amount of time.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I still love my cardio too (especially spinning, kayaking and hiking outdoors) but the effects of lifting weights are the bomb. It always amazes me when women say they will start lifting weights after they lose weight since they have to concentrate on cardio thinking that weights will render this process. Lifting weights is great for practical things like daily chores and keeping muscle mass as you grow older .

However, if you are looking for real motivation think of the day you have lost inches and you look down at the sides of your thighs and see long sexy indents or you look at arms and see "guns" instead of "bat wings". All the hard work will seem like slowly unwrapping a gift to yourself. As someone else on MFP has already said "skinny girls look good in clothes, strong girls look good naked".

Some clothes at the gym will still be a good idea :).
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To have strength and look good. Very simple, but that's it. Everytime I pick up a weight and it feels to easy I like the feeling of moving up in weight. Also, I do it for my Air Force fitness evaluation.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I lift because I love the power. I love having the strength to ask help from no one (generally ;) ) I think muscles are sexy. I want to be a good role model to my children and committing to a physical activity I love. I love seeing my numbers improve.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    love feeling like a spartan
    love being able to lift heavy packages at work instead of asking for help.
  • cece_lily
    cece_lily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the feeling of being strong, and moving up to higher weights. It always used to irritate me that I couldn't do a proper push up, and now I can do a whole bunch of them!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Being strong. Looking hot. Not that complicated.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5. It is a simple but effective program. Starting Strength is just about the same.

I usually do Zumba for cardio but am interested in how to get started on lifting weights. I'm in my late 50's and don't want flabby arms or tummy. What's a good web site to learn from for beginners? Thanks!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i lift because it feels good... it looks good and its healthy. the harder i get... the harder he gets!!!! end of subject!!!!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    because it doesn't bore me like cardio does! it is fun and keeps me locked in the whole time :)

Also I see faster results than I ever have before. My legs actually look toned and are getting close to not rubbing together when I walk :blushing:
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i lift because it feels good... it looks good and its healthy. the harder i get... the harder he gets!!!! end of subject!!!!

haaa :drinker:
  • HealthfulLife
    HealthfulLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Because it's so much better to 'Act like a lady & lift like a boss' than to be skinny!

Best thread I've seen in awhile!