Using exercise ball as an office chair

Options
trapitt
trapitt Posts: 93 Member
I keep some basic exercise equipment (yoga mat, dumb bells and an exercise ball) in my office so I can so do mini workouts during the day (during breaks, lunch). Does anyone know the benefits or risks of sitting on my exercise ball instead of my ergonomic chair when I am using my computer or reading at my desk. I seem to have better posture on the ball, but I am concerned about the ergonomics of working that way.

Replies

• brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    two people here swear by it. it really does help strengthen your core
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    ciFm1Jp.png
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Ball type chairs have started being used for Autism therapy, the studies I have seen indicate that if poor posture is an issue the chair exacerbates the problem and worsens concentration. If posture it not an issue they can be beneficial. So, I doubt there would be a problem so long as you maintain good posture. I think I would be inclined to slump a bit more, especially at the end of the day when I was more fatigued, but that's me. Try it out and see how you feel after a week or so, it could go either way.

Rigger
  • raylo1313
    raylo1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love sitting on my ball at work. The ergonomics are no different than sitting in a regular chair. If you should feel something starting to ache, change it - such as when I get achey from sitting in my chair, I switch to the ball and vice versa. Enjoy!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I keep some basic exercise equipment (yoga mat, dumb bells and an exercise ball) in my office so I can so do mini workouts during the day (during breaks, lunch). Does anyone know the benefits or risks of sitting on my exercise ball instead of my ergonomic chair when I am using my computer or reading at my desk. I seem to have better posture on the ball, but I am concerned about the ergonomics of working that way.

Can you go for a "walk" during your lunch break?

There's a really nice hill by my workplace, so when we don't have 3+ feet of snow, I go for an outdoor walk. Indoor "walking" is great for winter months (I close my door) .............

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1

They also have DVDs.

Resistance bands are great for the office............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEVwZaIRnrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4-r_ON_3A
  • trapitt
    Options
    ciFm1Jp.png
    That is exactly how I think I look! :-)
  • trapitt
    Options
    There is a small lake with a hilly hiking trail near my office - I usually walk that 2 - 3 times a week when it is clear of snow. I try to walk at least 30 minutes a day - even in our minus 27 degree (c) wind chill.
  • trapitt
    Options

Can you go for a "walk" during your lunch break?

There's a really nice hill by my workplace, so when we don't have 3+ feet of snow, I go for an outdoor walk. Indoor "walking" is great for winter months (I close my door) .............

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1

They also have DVDs.

Resistance bands are great for the office............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEVwZaIRnrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm4-r_ON_3A

Thanks for the tips!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I used my ball for a chair for a couple of years. I didn't use it all day but switched back and forth with my standard chair. I'd do sit ups and such which was great. My biggest problem was not having arm rests. I have a lot of trouble with my neck/ shoulders and it definitely took time to get used to.
  • Raggedy_Ann
    Options
    You will all surely find this silly but I occasionally stay up late at night and play PlayStation games, it's my 'me' time I guess. I sit on a fitness ball while I play, it makes me feel less lazy and I swear I play better!
  • Perplexities
    Perplexities Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ.
    Picture someone you highly respect siting on a ****ing exercise ball.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Well brah, it depends upon the environment. At the time I used mine, our entire office was using them so it wasn't like a person stood out by using one. And I'm in a healthcare environment where everyone is comfortable with bringing fitness into the office, so not using one actually set a person out from the crowd.

Just because you wouldn't do it in whatever your situation is, does not mean it isn't suitable in another locale.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I had one and loved it; I even had a little frame for it. It took me a while to train myself to sit with good posture (it's very easy to slouch). I do think it improved my posture and core strength.

True story: One day I was sitting on it and it popped.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ.
    Picture someone you highly respect siting on a ****ing exercise ball.

I would respect them more for being health-conscious and for not caring that they look a little silly to others.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My 110 lb (tops, ever) coworker who teaches Zumba 4X a week had one built into a base. She used it forrrrr 2 months? Then it moved under her desk. My other tiny coworker used one, no base, for about 3 months. Now it sits in a corner.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    A good compromise is a stability disc. You can place that on the seat of your chair. This allows you to still have a back and armrests when you need them but requires you to use your core to sit. And,,,for jerks who only post pictures of a cut body with no face and have loud opinions that have nothing to do with motivation, they don't know the difference when they walk by your office.
  • VeganMagpie
    VeganMagpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I was in recovery from back injury I used an exercise ball as a chair.

It did take a little getting used to and ached a bit at first but then it didn't ache as much as sitting wrong on a chair all day!