Whoosh after TOM?

Options
I know we all lose weight after our TOM but I was wondering if anyone notices their whooshes coming the week after? It seems to be a pattern for me.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Most people hold onto a bit of extra water weight during their TOM. The whoosh might be your body releasing that extra water.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The scale went up 2 pounds for me today as usual, but I suspect I will drop those 2 pounds by next week, plus my usual weekly lose. Damn water retention.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just read a study (finally one done on women) that actually says that we have different nutritional needs in the beginning of the month as opposed to the end. The "whoosh" is the change in hormone levels. The interesting thing is that if we can change our diet to follow the pattern by upping our protein days 14-28 and lowering it days 1-14, we can help keep ourselves on a more even keel. It annoys me every time, I read a study and realize all the information we have is based on studies done only on men.
  • hookemhorns2013
    Options
    Awesome info Thank you!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just read a study (finally one done on women) that actually says that we have different nutritional needs in the beginning of the month as opposed to the end. The "whoosh" is the change in hormone levels. The interesting thing is that if we can change our diet to follow the pattern by upping our protein days 14-28 and lowering it days 1-14, we can help keep ourselves on a more even keel. It annoys me every time, I read a study and realize all the information we have is based on studies done only on men.

You wouldn't happen to have a link handy, would you? I've read something like this before but didn't save it and my google-fu is failing today.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    It's on Yahoo! shine - well being
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

if the goal is to weigh the same throughout the month, then do this...

but why? we retain more water at a particular point in our cycle then lose it a bit later on... my view is that this is how the female body is, and there's some purpose to it, probably related to the body preparing to have a baby, so what health benefit is there in trying to stop this happening? The extra weight isn't fat and if the body's supposed to retain a little extra water at this time, then it's not unhealthy.

In terms of monitoring progress for fat loss, then compare your weights month by month at the same point in your cycle, and if you're losing fat, then you'll weigh less than you did at the same time in your cycle a month before.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

if the goal is to weigh the same throughout the month, then do this...

but why? we retain more water at a particular point in our cycle then lose it a bit later on... my view is that this is how the female body is, and there's some purpose to it, probably related to the body preparing to have a baby, so what health benefit is there in trying to stop this happening? The extra weight isn't fat and if the body's supposed to retain a little extra water at this time, then it's not unhealthy.

In terms of monitoring progress for fat loss, then compare your weights month by month at the same point in your cycle, and if you're losing fat, then you'll weigh less than you did at the same time in your cycle a month before.

It's supposed to help stabilize your hormones... which I could certainly use. Would make my other half a little happier the week before too lol

I don't care so much about the weight gain for a week at a time, more my sanity.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a weight loss "whoosh" some months more than others. I'm not a big water retainer (meaning mine doesn't fluctute nearly as much as some others' do), but i'm guessing it must be partly this.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,199 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tend to hold onto weight during the first three weeks of my cycle, then loose an entire months worth of weight all in the week after. Sure, that could be me losing fat at the same rate that I'm gaining water weight, but it is how my body has always worked. OP, you're not alone in noticing a large(r) drop after TOM. :)
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later