Intermittent Fasting - Has anyone tried it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it would work for me personally, but I'm finding more and more that nutrition, like fitness, is very different for everyone. Find what works for you and do it.

My biggest question though, if you're training for long distance running (half marathon and longer) would IF really be something that is sustainable?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it would work for me personally, but I'm finding more and more that nutrition, like fitness, is very different for everyone. Find what works for you and do it.

My biggest question though, if you're training for long distance running (half marathon and longer) would IF really be something that is sustainable?
    Maybe it depends on which version of IF?
    I trained for and completed a 100 mile cycle while still losing weight and (for me) one of the advantages of 5:2 is that you aren't glycogen depleted having five days a week eating normally. I've also found my endurance is much improved on long rides with less need to feed as I go.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing IF what chunk of the day do you usually fast? Btw, thanks for all the reponses, this is VERY helpful!

8pm - around 1pm
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I practice 4:3. On three days a week, I eat ~500 cal. The other four days, I eat pretty much anything I want. The general idea on this kind of fasting is that every two days you will be in a deficit overall, or for the week. I alternate my days. This can be read about in alternate day fasting or JUDDD. I really like it. I can socialize and plan my way of eating around events without feeling like I am on a diet every day.
    I often am very happy for a low cal day, as the higher cal days may leave me feeling too full, but am also happy for a higher day, so .i can have a treat! Lol
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing IF what chunk of the day do you usually fast? Btw, thanks for all the reponses, this is VERY helpful!
    9 PM to 6 PM. Might be a hour sooner or earlier, depends. But usually I start eating at around 6PM and at 9 PM im done.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just call it sleeping though.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I practice IF and I think it's wonderful. I have just started but find fasting days easy because I don't have to worry about packing lunch or any of that. It's difficult in the beginning because you are hungry and uncomfortable but after those initial few times it has been wonderful. I say give it a try if you are curious for a couple of weeks. It's not going to hurt anything. And don't listen to the starvation mode people. That really doesn't start happening unil at least 60 hours after not eating and more like 72 hours after. Here is a good group for support and questions:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat from 1pm to 9pm, in the fasting hours if I need it I'll chew gum, drink tea, or have coffee with a very small amount of creamer.
  • tnkitty
    tnkitty Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I decided to start off with 14/10. I fast 9pm-11am. I've been doing it for 4 days now. It was only rough the first day. Otherwise, no issues! I drink green tea and lots of water during the fasting period. Thanks again for all the advice!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I decided to start off with 14/10. I fast 9pm-11am. I've been doing it for 4 days now. It was only rough the first day. Otherwise, no issues! I drink green tea and lots of water during the fasting period. Thanks again for all the advice!

Awesome! Keep with it and let us know if you see any changes :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Please don't.

A response written as someone who knows nothing about IF.

OP, I have done it doing Eat Stop Eat and a 16:8 type. At the moment I am doing sort of 16:8. I tend to prefer Eat Stop Eat, but it seems my schedule is falling into the 16:8 quite naturally right now. It is not some sort of magic that gives amazing fat loss, it is simply a different way to establish a deficit, at least in terms of Eat Stop Eat in which you fast for 24 hours one or two days a week and eat at maintenance the other days.

Oh, the e-book Eat Stop Eat is an excellent purchase as well. Brad Pilon does a good job dealing with the objections to Intermittent Fasting, as well as the benefits. As an added bonus, if you purchase it, when he updates it, which he does every couple of year so far, you get the updated version free--at least that is what has happened so far with me.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    IF crew checking in, makes cutting so much easier, who wants to eat tiny rabbit sized meals 6x a day where you are never really satisfied? no thanks jeff