Fitbit: One or Flex??

Options
Hello everyone :flowerforyou:

So I have heard a lot about the Fitbit devices and how helpful they have been for weight loss, and I really want to get one. Which one do you have? Which one would you recommend?

Also, I have looked at the Fitbit website and did a comparison of the two and there was something I was confused about. They both say that they can track calories burned (which is the main reason I want to get one) by going off of your heart rate. How do they track your heart rate? Isn't the Fitbit One a clip on? How does it track your heart rate if it isn't touching your body? Another thing... has anyone had trouble with the Fitbit One falling off? I had a clip on step counter once and it fell off CONSTANTLY and I really wouldn't want to lose it.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :bigsmile:

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Just where does it say a thing about "heart rate" on the fitbit site?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I dont think any of the fitbits do heart rate, they are pedomiters basically. I have the one and I have not had if fall off once, I wear it on my jean pocket normally and on my sportbra when I work out.

https://www.fitbit.com/comparison/trackers
  • andreaheileman
    andreaheileman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I don't get it then. How does it track calories burned and how does it track "active minutes"?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    active minutes are based on how many steps/minute you are taking

calories is based on how many steps throughout the day you take and you weight/height/age
  • andreaheileman
    Options
    Okay, I guess that makes sense. Is it pretty accurate?
  • k_sievert
    k_sievert Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the flex, and have used a body bugg in the past. It is pretty accurate, especially if you set it up correctly. I did some research and thy say that the flex is within 10% of the body bugg, and the body bugg is supposed to be one of the most accurate since it measures calories burned across a much wider range of things other than just steps.

The flex is comfortable, much more so than the body bugg, so I actually wear it all the time and have it synced to my Myfitnesspal account.
  • tloggia
    tloggia Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the one and it's pretty secure on... I have't had any issues with it falling off and I often end up wearing it on my bra because I'm wearing dresses, etc. The only caution I will give is that I have *twice* forgotten to take it off my pocket and it's ended up in the wash. One time it survived.. the other time it didn't swim so well.
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    I have the FitBit one and love it. Just clip it to my jeans pocket. If your worried about it falling off, clip it so the FitBit is in the pocket and the clip is outside the pocket. That way even if it does fall, it falls into the pocket. I work in an office on the computer typing, so I couldn't get the Flex since having it around my wrist would be a total pain while at the computer. Plus I hear about the Fex bands falling apart or breaking... I think it's VERY accurate.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and I think it's great. I haven't had any issues with the band breaking, and the clasp has only came loose once (I think I didn't have it closed all the way). I don't think I could do the One, I'm sure it would end up in the wash and I can't afford to replace a device such as this. I wash dishes and bathe my daughter while wearing the flex, I wouldn't swim with it though. Overall I enjoy the device. I would recommend getting a colored band though. I have the black one, and sometimes I feel like I'm wearing a home monitoring device :smile: I don't have a home computer, so I charge my flex at work. I work a desk job and the bad doesn't effect my typing or comfort while typing.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one sine Jan 14,2013 and have walked about 1400 miles since. Its one of the best things i have bought and love it...
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and love it. I just really like having the wristband instead of a clip on pedometer.
  • ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE the one!
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I have the one - steps counted are very accurate (tested with treadmill). Sleep, stairs, and calories, not so much. The one is still more accurate than the flex though.
  • giftogab
    giftogab Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex. I have had it for about 2 weeks now and it really has made a difference in the way i approach my day. really pushes me to not want to sit around....why sit around when i can walk around and reach my goals.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE the one!

THIS!

I think there is more to the algorithm than just step counting --- Now that I am in maintenance, I am seeing how accurate the calorie estimate is.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've had the flex about 6 months now. Totally has changed my attitude about staying active throughout the day and in turn I think has helped my weight loss. I agree with one on the prior posters, if you have it set up correctly and let it do its thing syncing with MFP it works very well. Easily one of the best purchases I have made as far as my health and fitness goes.
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started with the Flex and had to switch to the One because I got a terrible rash on my wrist from the band (I do have very sensitive skin, so take that with a grain of salt). I LOVE my One. It stays on very well, but I do have to attach it to my bra most days because I wear dresses to work. Steps are very accurate, I have it synced to MFP, and it is very convenient.
  • andreaheileman
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! It came out about 50/50 on the One and Flex lol :)

Has anyone tried the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor? That is something I am really interested in too, but I don't know as much about it and haven't heard as many people say they've used it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! It came out about 50/50 on the One and Flex lol :)

Has anyone tried the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor? That is something I am really interested in too, but I don't know as much about it and haven't heard as many people say they've used it.

Get the One if you ever want to hide it. I do, often - and it goes on my bra. I would never wear the wristband thing to work or with cute spring dresses or nice wedding attire. The One can be worn with anything. <sidenote: I love love love mine>

I used to use an Ft7 which is very similar to the Ft4 (it just stores more sessions). It is a good entry level HRM; I used mine for two years before upgrading to an Ft40. I use my HRM in conjunction with my Fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Oh, there are tons of people using those cheaper Polars FT4/FT7 - and frankly blindly trusting it too much. Go search for any topics about "get HRM" and you'll see. Plus the illogical conclusion that because it's different and lower than MFP is must therefore be more accurate.

If you want it for mainly purpose of calorie count during exercise, then get better one that has at least required stats for better estimate, and self-test to get them - RS300X is best priced one I found.
    Plus if you get in to cardio run or bike, has option add-ons of GPS unit, bike cadence/speed sensor, indoor-running pod.
    Plus more options dealing with your workout zones and info.

But, the FitBit is going to be just as good or better at step based activities, in fact the formula for calculating calories from pace and weight is more accurate than HRM's.
    So long at the FitBit has your stride length down correctly, and counts the steps right - there's your pace. Of course it knows your weight.