Hungry most of the time, any suggestions?

Options
I set up a plan to lose a few pounds a week and I am trying so hard to stick to it, but clearly my knowledge of healthy foods is negotiable.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I should be doing to feel full (besides the typical answer of drinking water)? Should I be looking into low calorie/ low carb / high protein solutions? I need a balance of better snacks because my calorie limit is just too darn small.

This is my first diet ever and I am crazy scared I am going to dump it really soon. I will eat just about anything if it makes me feel fuller than I have.

Replies

• lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me, it has been a combination of an increase of protein and "mind over matter". I found that if I really focus on getting the most protein out of my diet, it helps hold off on the hunger. And the mind over matter portion - whenever I feel hungry but it's not time to eat, I've learned to train myself that the hunger sensation is what is getting me to my goal. Almost like trying to associate it as a positive feeling. "Would I rather feel this hunger, or be miserable in my own skin for another 10 years?" Easier said than done, but the longer I go, the easier it gets.

If you're set up to lose a few pounds a week, you might be going too hard too fast. I've averaged 1 pound per week for the last 8 months. I wonder if you should start with a little more calories (but still within losing range) so that you're not going so cold-turkey starving. Then after a month or so when you've adjusted to that level of feeling hungry, then ramp things up another notch and go for more? Kind of ease into it?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

If you're set up to lose a few pounds a week, you might be going too hard too fast. I've averaged 1 pound per week for the last 8 months. I wonder if you should start with a little more calories (but still within losing range) so that you're not going so cold-turkey starving.

This ^
    You don't have much to lose so a few pounds a week is too much. Move to one pound a week which will give you about 500 more calories. Also make sure you are getting a good balance of protein, fats and carbs. When I go too heavy on the carbs, I am hungry all the time.
  • mrphilinmaine
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. Very sound and reasonable. I think i will increase my calorie count.
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I track my macros and add lots of veggies to my meals so that I will feel satisfied for much fewer calories. Eat a nutritous breakfast and nutrient rich foods. Don't skimp on protein but choose lean choices. Also, with so little to lose a few pounds a week sounds rough. Id be hungry too. I have 7 more to lose and I'm struggling to maintain a one pound a week loss without feeling starved or ridiculously beat down from my workouts. I'm giving it to the 5 pound mark and reevaluating perhaps moving to a 1/2 lb a week deficit. And I do drink a lot of water. ;)
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    You may want to reduce your goal from a couple pounds a week to 1 pound a week. This will increase your caloric intake.

Also I recommend not going on a "diet". Find a way to eat within your caloric limit that you can do forever. Change the way you eat, hence your diet, but don't "diet" to do it. It took me longer than most people to lose the weight I wanted but I made small changes to the way I eat and eat like that always now. It's sustainable. I recommend making that the way you meet your calorie goals... small changes (maybe large ones depending on how you normally eat I guess) that you can do every day, always. People ask if I dieted to lose my weight and I say No. I changed the way I always eat..........

Shop on the outside of the grocery store: veggies, fruit, meat, cheese, milk, etc. Then just go down the center isles you actually need to: pasta, bread, cereal, etc. Cook your meals at home and limit the amount you go out to eat or eat at fast food joints. When I'm hungry at night I've started drinking a cup of earl grey tea around 8:30... it has become a kind of signal to my body that I'm done eating for the day. Snacks: I eat a half of a whole wheat bagel thins toasted with peanut butter or cottage cheese. Or a bowl of cereal. Combining the carbs with protein is very satisfying to me.

Good luck!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well Said ^^^^^^
    You may want to reduce your goal from a couple pounds a week to 1 pound a week. This will increase your caloric intake.

Also I recommend not going on a "diet". Find a way to eat within your caloric limit that you can do forever. Change the way you eat, hence your diet, but don't "diet" to do it. It took me longer than most people to lose the weight I wanted but I made small changes to the way I eat and eat like that always now. It's sustainable. I recommend making that the way you meet your calorie goals... small changes (maybe large ones depending on how you normally eat I guess) that you can do every day, always. People ask if I dieted to lose my weight and I say No. I changed the way I always eat..........

Shop on the outside of the grocery store: veggies, fruit, meat, cheese, milk, etc. Then just go down the center isles you actually need to: pasta, bread, cereal, etc. Cook your meals at home and limit the amount you go out to eat or eat at fast food joints. When I'm hungry at night I've started drinking a cup of earl grey tea around 8:30... it has become a kind of signal to my body that I'm done eating for the day. Snacks: I eat a half of a whole wheat bagel thins toasted with peanut butter or cottage cheese. Or a bowl of cereal. Combining the carbs with protein is very satisfying to me.

Good luck!