167+ lbs lost. 10lbs more to "goal"(pics)

Options
HealthWoke0ish
HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
When I first started using Myfitnesspal, I'd smirk and snicker and think "who does that?" when peeps would write that they didn't have any fat pics of themselves and opine on causes, e.g., subconscious shame. It didn't take me too long to realize I was one of those people and that I hardly had any fat pics of myself. A few weeks/month ago, I e-mailed some friends and asked if they had any fat pics of me. I received a reply e-mail a couple days ago with a pic attached. It's of me at costume/Halloween party in Oct 2009. I studied the picture for a while and then went into the bathroom here at work and took a selfie. Here are the pics together:

October 2009 - Approx 400lbs February 2014 - Appox 235lbs
5YEARS.jpg

The timeline:
First, I stopped drinking soda. Besides a ginger ale last year when I was sick, and some Martinelli's at a few New Years Eve parties, I haven't drunk soda since quitting. (Note: I don't know enough to know definitively whether or not soda is bad...but I know it wasn't a good habit for me...so I quit.)

Second. Subsequent to quitting soda, I started limiting myself to one plateful of food at meals. Note: I could get as large a plate as I wanted, and could pile it as high as logistically possible, but still..."one plateful" represented a decrease in total food consumption at meals. (smh...but this was a good step-in-the-right-direction for me with respect to learning to moderate intake)

Third. Subsequent to beginning to regulate (even minimally) portion control, I started using MFP. This is when I really started to pick up steam. (I think I started around Oct-Nov 2012.)

Fourth: I did the 30 Day Shred and was amazed at the results (in one month, I lost 12lbs and a couple of inches...that was A LOT for me!)

Fifth: I started running. I liked/like the challenge, my knees are young'ish, and it's a convenient way for me to burn some calories. (I started out with huffing and puffing around the track--who am I kidding...it was little more than brisk walking...but I ended the year with some 5ks, 10ks, and a pair of half marathons under my--significantly smaller:tongue: --belt).

That's it. I'm currently down 165+lbs. I'd like to lose another 30lbs and then lose some more inches as I gradually add more strength exercise. Thanks to everyone who's helped thus far...and thanks to everyone who continues to help or who will help me in the future. It would have been much harder, if not improbable, without you. :smile:

(BTW...like that costume? I'm supposed to be the Empire State Building and my kid is King Kong. Haha.)

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Hahaha i was about to ask what you were dressed as. very imaginative. Great work mate, inspiration to us all. What was your starting weight/goal weight?
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Job very well done. I'm inspired.
  • minrichard
    minrichard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am truly inspired by your story.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Any small step to becoming healthier is great! Keep up the hard work and I am sure you'll reach your goal!
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great job!

And what an adorable costume idea! haha.

p.s. facial hair really suits you!
  • biancagetsfit94
    biancagetsfit94 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Amazing, handsome, and truly inspiring :)
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Big difference! You look great and I'm sure feel great too. Well done!
  • fitness_n00b
    Options
    Mind = blown

You're amazing!
  • robmac13h
    robmac13h Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    an inspiration, very well done looking good
  • Ilb320
    Ilb320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. You are inspirational.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    very inspiring - awesome work !!!
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Kicking *kitten* dude!!!!! Way to go!
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    Amazing! :smile:
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you look awesome. way to go.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your motivational success story
  • jacquiearchambault
    jacquiearchambault Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love the costume! Congrats on your success! You really took the right aporoach...patient baby steps. Logging my food has really opened my eyes to my mindless snacking and lack of exercise. I have not lost much but st leadt I amnot gaining. You are an inspiration to keep going...it is tough.but I hope I canbe a success story like you soon!
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, you look great!!
  • nikkkie92
    Options
    Wow that is truly amazing :)
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Nice job!!! Thanks for all of the info & tips. You have a great perspective. Congrats to you!
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    freaking awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!