How do I log CPR.

Options

Replies

• chemteacher1987
    chemteacher1987 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the save!!! I would say that it falls under what you do for work, but it's extra. Like you typically lift people, so I would have that built in to your lifestyle. But you don't always have to perform CPR, so that would be extra. Since CPR kicks your *kitten* when you do it for the 5-10 minutes in training, I would not hesitate to log it, since you did it for two hours. I would probably put it under circuit training or calisthenics.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that people judge you for wanting to know calories burned.

30 minutes on the elliptical machine - got to log that!!!

2 hours saving somebody's life - how self-centered.

REALLY?

It's self-centered to get the nutrition you need to be prepared to provide vital help to people again tomorrow??? Since when?

and, Judgy McJudgerpants, good luck on your nice little altruistic gym visit. Maybe you should reflect on your choice of profession as well.
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    First off: AWESOME!!!!!!

Secondly, I don't understand why, when people as a question, do others feel the need to tear at them for it. This person worked really hard, and yes, it is VERY hard work, so why do you get to minimalize what they did? Its still a workout. And its not just this post, it seems I keep running into this on many many posts.

Thirdly, I would liken it to any other workout you did where you felt the same, so if you work out hard normally, and get 500 cals, then log 500.

Fourth: GOOD JOB!!!!
  • MyStuff6797
    Options
    Hon, you should ignore those who choose to be so negative and petty because they obviously have never performed CPR. Honestly! The nerve of some people trying to drag others down to their level. :angry:
    As a person trying to lose weight (I assume most here are as well?) I would guess you want your "calories burned" reading to be as accurate as you can because every little calorie burned counts. Since you would not generally be performing CPR to such an extent normally, I would agree with the comment about logging it as the vigorous exercise and counting the minutes.
    Congratulations on saving the lady's life. Awesome job! :heart:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and why is everyone crying about the OP wanted to log it? what, because he did a good deed he don't get to eat? Should he donate his paycheck to charity too?

EMTs make really good money. Or so I've heard.

OP, I know this is a day late, but I'd "log it" by drinking a couple beers and eating a plate of chili cheese fries and not logging them.

heh- that's exactly the opposite of what I've heard.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?
    You've done two hours of CPR before?

It's EXHAUSTING. I don't know what I would count it as, but sheesh. Something.

This website shows it:

http://www.jems.com/article/health-and-safety/neat-calorie-burn-method-perfect-ems
    Doing CPR for 15 minutes: 165 calories
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It isn't like he is trying to log this WHILE he was saving her.

Can you imagine that scene? "Excuse me ma'am, I'll start compressions in a minute, let me put on my heart rate monitor and log into my app first...." :laugh:

OP - You are awesome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I searched the exercise database for humblebragging and didn't find anything.
    WOW lame.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Performing CPR isn't easy if you've never done it and/or aren't that fit. 5 minutes and most people would quit. 2 hours is pretty long, so I'd log it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

It's not a matter of easy vs. hard. Lifting the 400 lb. person is hard too. But, why log it unless the OP's activity level is already calculated to sedentary? There might be fits of CPR and heavy lifting, etc. but interspersed with near sleeping levels (or, in some cases, actual sleeping). Not to mention if you do the physical parts of that job on a regular basis, it's not near the workout it would be for even a fit person who knows CPR but doesn't administer it regularly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

How wonderful for that woman and her family that you saved her life!!!! Well done!

But somehow....you are trivializing your own heroic act by worrying about how many calories you burned in the process. It's time for some inner reflection on the reason you chose your profession.
    No.
    Absolutely. NO.
    They did their job. They did it well. Nothing posted here diminishes that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

How wonderful for that woman and her family that you saved her life!!!! Well done!

But somehow....you are trivializing your own heroic act by worrying about how many calories you burned in the process. It's time for some inner reflection on the reason you chose your profession.
    No.
    Absolutely. NO.
    They did their job. They did it well. Nothing posted here diminishes that.

Actually, the last time somebody saved my life, I grilled them for a good 15 minutes on their motivations, decided that they weren't good enough and killed myself.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Dunno why there are 4 pages of replies unless it's to congratulate you.

I'd log it as light cardio work. No pun intended.

HOWEVER, if you already put your daily activity level as "very active" then it's included. If you put your activity levels as "sedate" then include it.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If this is part of your regular activity, I would just make sure your profile isn't set at sedentary and consider it part of your daily activity.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

That's what you took away from the original post? She needs to do some inner reflection because she asked about calorie burn? Honestly, she probably burned more calories than a lot of people on here eat in a day.

Edited because I realized the original poster was a female. ????
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to jump in and say I would hope if I was ever in the position where I needed CPR that there would be someone as badass as you about! You saved someone's life?? Seriously...do whatever you want to do to celebrate that, eat a cupcake, have a beer, eat a burger and don't worry about the calories because you are an amazing person :) your overall weight loss mission will not be jeopardised by that.

So in awe right now :)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the people that say CPR is not exercise. Wonder if they have ever done it. 2 hours is such a long time! You did an amazing job! I would log it as 200 calories. Not really based on anything, just what I would do. You probably don't do two hour stints of CPR on the regular. And if you had an ice cream or something to celebrate your hard day at work and saving a life, don't sweat it!
  • diamonddaveperry
    diamonddaveperry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ignore the haters. Fine job on saving someone's life! And by all means log the calories. I'd put it down as something like 120 minutes of intense calisthenics.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats and well done!! As for the debate whether to log it or not......... go for it!! You saved a life AND burn't some serious calories. Its a win, win situation. :heart:
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    all you "you're just humblebragging" a-holes can go jump in a lake. oh, and don't forget to log it. :angry:
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't understand taking offense at someone logging the Calories for physical exertion just because the motivation for the physical exertion was first about saving someone's live. If someone's using MFP to keep a deficit and track both intake and burns I think it makes sense to log it--I'd want them replenished for the next call they got and not weaker or tired because "Well I better keep an extra big deficit since you can't log hero Calories."

OP: Glad the night ended well for you. Thanks for your service. :-)
This discussion has been closed.