Can someone please explain cholesterol to me?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    you are probably better researching this one by yourself, because I have highish cholesterol genetically and the amount of misinformation that gets throw around here on this topic is beyond belief. The best one was from an alleged nurse who said 'it's produced by the body so it can't be bad', I mean so is cancer yet, I still be concerned if my body produced that one.

However I think tracking your fats, particularly your 'good fats' and ensuring you don't have transfats, would be more beneficial then cholesterol, simply because not every food that has cholesterol will have it listed in the database.
    Where does the 35,000 mg's that you have circulating in your body right now come from, I wonder?

yeah, it's being produced by my body, but that doesn't make it 'not bad'. One 'nurse' said in a previous post that high blood cholesterol is not bad for you, because it is produced by your body. Yes, my body is producing too much, but that doesn't make it 'good', it still ups my chances of an early heart attack which coincidentally also runs in our family just like the high cholesterol.
    Your body is producing what it needs and if your body is actually manufacturing the most atherogenic type of cholesterol, then it's your lifestyle that is increasing your chances of a heart related event. A study in 2010 showed that 75% of actual heart attack victims in the USA had average to low total cholesterol.........if you want to blame it on saturated fat I suspect not much is going to change, except your will definitely see a decline in your HDL and the particle size of your LDL will get smaller, not something to be promoting imo. Dump the majority of your refined carb sources and increase your protein, get lots of exercise and lose weight. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Epidemiology is easier on the brain.......no thinking required, you can just pick yourself up, brush yourself off and keep walking without a worry in the world. Epidemiology, the weapon of mass confusion. Butter and carrots are dangerous, because saturated fat, beausethey say so, so it must be true, because. lol

Carrots are dangerous?? :huh:

If it can't be proved in a short term study, it couldn't possibly have negative affects in the long term That seems a logical approach. Tell that to smokers.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You are confusing dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The types of fat and carbohydrates you eat often affects your blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/

Having read through it I do think it's conclusions about saturated fats are out of date and incorrect. I personally would suggest moving away from margarine and back to butter. IMHO :smile:

They are not out of date, but it is important to remember that general recommendations do not easily change. People often think new studies trump older studies, which simply is not true. One must look at all the data, old and new, to form a general recommendation. Only when there is more data pointing in a different direction do recommendations change.

As to butter or margarine, it really depends on the margarine and quantities eaten. Those with cholesterol problems would probably be better off with a margarine that contain plant sterols and no partially hydrogenated oil, especially if they eat much of it.
    If one believes that dairy fat is unhealthy, then it makes sense you would believe that.Personally refined vegetable oils are to be strictly avoided.

Why?
    Hard to say, probably because it takes the guess work out out of it for you, and doubt..........doubt takes up a lot of energy, anyway that's something you have to figure out.

Um...what? You personally strictly avoid refined oil to take the guess work out of it for me?? What have you been smoking?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    You are confusing dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels. The types of fat and carbohydrates you eat often affects your blood cholesterol more than dietary cholesterol.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/

Having read through it I do think it's conclusions about saturated fats are out of date and incorrect. I personally would suggest moving away from margarine and back to butter. IMHO :smile:

They are not out of date, but it is important to remember that general recommendations do not easily change. People often think new studies trump older studies, which simply is not true. One must look at all the data, old and new, to form a general recommendation. Only when there is more data pointing in a different direction do recommendations change.

As to butter or margarine, it really depends on the margarine and quantities eaten. Those with cholesterol problems would probably be better off with a margarine that contain plant sterols and no partially hydrogenated oil, especially if they eat much of it.
    If one believes that dairy fat is unhealthy, then it makes sense you would believe that.Personally refined vegetable oils are to be strictly avoided.

Why?
    Hard to say, probably because it takes the guess work out out of it for you, and doubt..........doubt takes up a lot of energy, anyway that's something you have to figure out.

Um...what? You personally strictly avoid refined oil to take the guess work out of it for me?? What have you been smoking?
    lol Whatever.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Epidemiology is easier on the brain.......no thinking required, you can just pick yourself up, brush yourself off and keep walking without a worry in the world. Epidemiology, the weapon of mass confusion. Butter and carrots are dangerous, because saturated fat, beausethey say so, so it must be true, because. lol

If it can't be proved in a short term study, it couldn't possibly have negative affects in the long term That seems a logical approach. Tell that to smokers.
    Sorry that was for tennsidude.........I'm sure he understood my highly cryptic message.Your comparing butter to smoking, really? Correlation is the best that can be surmised and in a very unhealthy and specific demographic, hurray for epidemiology........just like blueberries and broccoli are associated with cancer or better yet, smoking.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Sorry that was for tennsidude.........I'm sure he understood my highly cryptic message.

Sorry Neanderthin I must agree with bcattoes carrots are not dangerous.

Well they are if you just steam them!!, which is why I choose to add butter to mine because the healing properties of butter negates the danger steamed carrots present.

I hope that clears things up.
  • LaRose86
    LaRose86 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well I just got the results from my cholesterol test and I lowered my total cholesterol by 40. Still in the high range, but not by much.

Essentially you have total cholesterol (which I have no idea how they get this number), HDL cholesterol which is your good cholesterol, LDL cholesterol which is your bad cholesterol, and triglycerides which is essentially how much a type of fat is floating in your blood.

To lower my cholesterol I essentially looked at the LDL and HDL and hoped it would lower my total cholesterol. To lower your LDL, eat lean meats, avoid / limit saturated, unsaturated, and trans fats, and best of all raise your HDL. Raising your HDL eat items like peanuts and vegetables as natural as possible as these items absorb some cholesterol, eat polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats within reason, fish oil, niacin, and exercise as this creates HDL and makes it easier to collect more LDL for removal.

Also, your liver is responsible for making the cholesterol your body needs to survive. When you ingest animal products like chicken and beef, your cholesterol levels tend to go up because your adding cholesterol to the cholesterol your body makes. The 300 mg of cholesterol in your diary is nothing more then a daily recommended guideline. You will find it hard to hit that limit if your eating to raise your HDL. I personally try to keep that number as low as possible and don't worry too much about it.

All I can say is be careful if your eating to try and raise your HDL specifically, because sometimes you may raise your HDL significantly, but that will be essentially all for nothing because you may end up raising your LDL in the process.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Well I just got the results from my cholesterol test and I lowered my total cholesterol by 40. Still in the high range, but not by much.

Essentially you have total cholesterol (which I have no idea how they get this number), HDL cholesterol which is your good cholesterol, LDL cholesterol which is your bad cholesterol, and triglycerides which is essentially how much a type of fat is floating in your blood.

To lower my cholesterol I essentially looked at the LDL and HDL and hoped it would lower my total cholesterol. To lower your LDL, eat lean meats, avoid / limit saturated, unsaturated, and trans fats, and best of all raise your HDL. Raising your HDL eat items like peanuts and vegetables as natural as possible as these items absorb some cholesterol, eat polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats within reason, fish oil, niacin, and exercise as this creates HDL and makes it easier to collect more LDL for removal.

Also, your liver is responsible for making the cholesterol your body needs to survive. When you ingest animal products like chicken and beef, your cholesterol levels tend to go up because your adding cholesterol to the cholesterol your body makes. The 300 mg of cholesterol in your diary is nothing more then a daily recommended guideline. You will find it hard to hit that limit if your eating to raise your HDL. I personally try to keep that number as low as possible and don't worry too much about it.

All I can say is be careful if your eating to try and raise your HDL specifically, because sometimes you may raise your HDL significantly, but that will be essentially all for nothing because you may end up raising your LDL in the process.

:noway:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Sorry that was for tennsidude.........I'm sure he understood my highly cryptic message.

Sorry Neanderthin I must agree with bcattoes carrots are not dangerous.

Well they are if you just steam them!!, which is why I choose to add butter to mine because the healing properties of butter negates the danger steamed carrots present.

I hope that clears things up.

Carrots can be quite dangerous! If they're thrown at someone they could put an eye out! If they're steamed it's even worse because it could cause some very dangerous burns! :noway:

zxc3kUK.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

Limiting all fat will likely lower your total cholesterol, but it's not the ideal way to do it. Our bodies need fat. Trans fat from partially hydrogenated oils are the only fats that should be avoided or severely limited.

Eating less refined carbohydrates and exercising regularly is a much better way.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I think that proves my point exactly, try throwing a carrot at that force when it's covered in butter - it'll just slip out your hand.

Carrots are only dangerous without butter and in the wrong hands!!!
  • Geckoqueen
    Geckoqueen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who has replied and sent me links. I've had a look at them but its going to take me a while longer to take it all in (I don't feel so daft for asking now, LOL).

Apologies for opening a can of worms.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Agreed - Never feel daft asking questions - the daft ones are the ones that don't ask and carry on regardless.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do to raise your HDL is exercise.

Also, "cholesterol" found in foods really has nothing to do with your total cholesterol/LDL/HDL levels. Fats are much, much more important.

Saturated fats and trans fats = bad fats = raise LDL (bad cholesterol).

Polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats = good fats = raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL and triglycerides.
    How many times in the last 40 years has that been said.........well it was wrong then and it's still wrong. Transfats should be avoided, no doubt about it. Your right though exercise is and should be our foundation for overall health and it does positively effect our cholesterol.

I'd love to see a reputable study that proves it's wrong.
    I'll assume you didn't open any of the links in this thread. I could post more........buy why.

Actually, I did. The Harvard link said exactly what I said. One was someone's "personal blog", so I skipped right over that one (note: I said reputable). The rest had nothing to do with anything I said.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    The best thing to do to raise your HDL is exercise.

Also, "cholesterol" found in foods really has nothing to do with your total cholesterol/LDL/HDL levels. Fats are much, much more important.

Saturated fats and trans fats = bad fats = raise LDL (bad cholesterol).

Polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats = good fats = raise HDL (good cholesterol) and lower LDL and triglycerides.
    How many times in the last 40 years has that been said.........well it was wrong then and it's still wrong. Transfats should be avoided, no doubt about it. Your right though exercise is and should be our foundation for overall health and it does positively effect our cholesterol.

I'd love to see a reputable study that proves it's wrong.
    I'll assume you didn't open any of the links in this thread. I could post more........buy why.

Actually, I did. The Harvard link said exactly what I said. One was someone's "personal blog", so I skipped right over that one (note: I said reputable). The rest had nothing to do with anything I said.
    The Harvard link was an opinion, not a study. The rest had everything to do with what you said.
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but just wanted to throw out there that my nutritionist told me regular exercise (30 minutes, 5 times/week) helps your body retain good cholesterol and flush bad cholesterol. She told me why, as well, or how... or something, but I really only remembered that it helps. :smile:
  • tlebel75
    tlebel75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Go green!!!! No meat, no dairy Cholesterol is my meanest friend and watch the carbs for triglycerides. : )
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit of misinformation here.

Saturated fat contributes to heart disease. The research here is overwhelming. Skeptics will cherry pick a study here and there to try to convince you otherwise. These studies often make the mistake of comparing high fat diets to other unhealthy diets. This is a false dichotomy.

The American Heart Association recommends limiting your saturated fats to 7% of you total daily caloric intake. The WHO recommends less than 10%.

If you're interested in taking care of your heart, the mayo clinic lays it out clearly:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/heart-disease-prevention/art-20046502

On cholesterol:

High cholesterol puts you at risk for heart disease. Low cholesterol can also put you at risk from some nasty stuff.

Basically, you want to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL. The recommendations are for LDL levels below 200 mg/dl and HDL levels above 60 mg/dl.

More here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol-level/faq-20057952

and here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-levels/art-20048245

You should be tracking this every year as part of your annual blood work.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    AvonBell links to actual studies would really work well here considering your 1st paragraph. RCT would be great if you have some. Your LDL level recommendation is more than likely a mistake, I'm sure that's for total C.

Personally I'm a sceptic or at least that's how after quite a long time researching nutritional science is how I've ended up. Ironically the cherry picking seems to be heavily weighted in the camp that makes broad statements, like in the links you provided and again generally their premise for those opinions are on observational long term studies of one nature or another, and never double or triple blind control studies, and that's probably for a good reason, because there aren't any, so at best they prove correlation.......personally i wouldn't call that conclusive, but many do I guess, you for example. I remain sceptical.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    AvonBell links to actual studies would really work well here considering your 1st paragraph. RCT would be great if you have some. Your LDL level recommendation is more than likely a mistake, I'm sure that's for total C.

My point about the research was that the prevailing view among experts is that saturated fats promote heart disease. I can point to any one study (there are so many) but I figured playing study vs study was unhelpful. The said, the Harvard School of Public Health has a good write-up of the current understanding concerning fats and cholesterol. The piece is well sourced and there are many studies listed under references.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/#references

You're right about the cholesterol stuff. I meant to write 70 mg/d. The National Cholesterol Education Program has also set guidelines. They recommend LDL levels below 100 mg/dl.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/cholesterol-targets/

There has been decades worth of research showing the link between saturated fat and heart disease. It's true that replacing saturated fats with refined carbs isn't going to help you at all but replacing sat fats with healthy fats does. This has been conclusively proven. When I encounter a study, not just in nutrition but also in physics or climatology, that counters decades of research I expect extraordinary evidence. Sat fats/cholesterol deniers have failed that test time and time again.