Just Starting Phentermine

Options
New to myfitnesspal and also just started Phentermine. Looking for friends that can give any advice / support and ill do the same
:)

Replies

• McKeeJayne
    Options
    Me too. Started using Fitness Pal - doctor's orders - a month ago...after going in this morning, and finding out I'd been eating well...and still gained 4 pounds...she prescribed Phentermine. Took half a pill today. Kinda excited...and a little scared about it.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This oughtta be fun...
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    <insert popcorn eating gif here>

Oh, and no, there are no pills in my popcorn. And that's not a euphemism for anything.

And OP, listen to your rather ironic profile pic and toss the pills in the trash. :flowerforyou:
  • AbigailWins
    Options
    eek
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    And what happens when you stop the Phentermine? It will come back on. I speak from experience.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Before this thread goes down hill, I'd like to point out that if you were gaining weight while eating "good" you were probably lying to yourself, under estimating calories in, and over estimating calories out.

1) Get a food scale, weigh food.
    2) Get off butt, lift heavy crap.
    3) Profit.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Be warned - you're going to get some negative feedback as most people on MFP don't take kindly to people using quick fixes in order to lose weight. Hopefully you are educating yourself about portion control and are developing a healthy relationship with food. Tough love time: if you're just relying on whatever drug you're taking to lose the weight unfortunately once you go off of it you'll most likely gain all of the weight back....plus some. Good luck OP.
  • 3mtntops
    3mtntops Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% , excuses got you here. Time to get REAL.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I tried two pills and threw away the rest of the bottle because the side effects were just so awful for me.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Be warned - you're going to get some negative feedback as most people on MFP don't take kindly to people using quick fixes in order to lose weight. Hopefully you are educating yourself about portion control and are developing a healthy relationship with food. Tough love time: if you're just relying on whatever drug you're taking to lose the weight unfortunately once you go off of it you'll most likely gain all of the weight back....plus some. Good luck OP.

Here you go:

Figure6.6.gif
  • kibbie99
    kibbie99 Posts: 1
    Options
    phentermine causes u to lose weight by raising your heart rate and (stimulating ur nervous system) so you dont have an appetite... if you dont change why you eat or what you eat you wont do any better on that pill and it has MANY side effects. I was on it for a year and it made me crazy. Very anxious all the time, talking really fast, hyper stimulated basically (and not in a good way) made myself and my husband crazy. PLEASE PLEASE go to a bariatric class (you dont have to go through with the surgery) just the class will teach you SO MUCH about food and labels and even peak into why it is you eat what you do.

Best thing i learned...
    Its calories in vs calories out... SHOCKER
    If you write down everything you put in your mouth (esp condiments like salad dressings, etc) you will be shocked at how many cal you actually eat. If you lower that amount ( i eventually got to 1200 cal per day pre op for sleeve) i lost 40 pounds and didnt have any of the icky side effects that stupid pill gave me. also I didnt lose but 5 lbs while on it. WHY cause i never changed what i ate or why i ate. I would graze just to graze. I would always eat watching TV or on the computer. TWO BIG NO NOs... hard to keep track of how much or what your eating. I got rid of the crap in my house fixed only fresh stuff and started using a salad plate instead of a reg dinner plate... 3 months later i was 40 pounds down! and i didnt even exercise...

Now post op im trying to include the exercise ( i have bad knees and back, so starting with yoga and pilates- gently)

but you can do it... no damn pill will fix it. As soon as you stop you WILL gain it ALL back if not more... (and it made me super depressed when i stopped)... think of that pill like meth-- know any healthy meth heads LOL... sorry for the joke but its honest its a TERRIBLE and proven FAILURE for weight loss. Cause you dont address ANY of the issues that lead you to be the weight you are right now...
    i wish you luck and hope you get off a pill ( no pill can save us, we must start taking responsibility for what we put in our mouth and yes get off our butt and walk more) esp bc that pill is very unsafe- can lead to heart attacks and heart rhythm disorders ( mine was up over 120 every day) ...
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has the same weight loss experience... I too had trouble losing weight and the doctor put me on Phentermine. Turns out, I was insulin resistant due to taking Seroquel for depression. Once I stopped the medication (the seroquel), I still gained weight although I weigh everything and do know that i was not underestimating what i was eating. It does happen. There are also thyroid conditions etc that can stall weight loss and many other medications that make you gain weight.

Sure, you can not change your way of eating and still lose weight with Phentermine but it will come back if you do not make this a lifestyle change.. You have to eat less calories than you expend plain and simple for weight loss. Not everyone who uses Phentermine goes back to their old habits of eating unhealthy and not logging and weighing food. For some people, it is the only way to get your metabolism back to normal. So don't judge without knowing the complete situation.

That being said, I took it for 3 months and lost close to 30 lbs. in that time. My appetite did not increase once I stopped taking them and I started walking and running 5 miles every other day.

So don't let the negative remarks stop you if you are taking it with a prescription. Just make sure to drink plenty of water and be careful not to drink any alcohol with the Phentermine. Good luck to you!!
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with the throwing the pills in the trash. These sound a lot like the old Phenphen that several of my friends used and developed heart trouble from. Of course they got to take part in a class action suit but that's not my cup of tea. Too much caffeine gives me the shakes so I'm not sure how these pills would affect me.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you what to do here- but please just be careful. My mom has taken it and that stuff really messes with your heart and has a lot of negative side effects.

Make sure to do the research and learn healthy habits while you are on it, ok?
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Great message. Thanks.
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of comments on this choice in the forum. Look under the search feature using the drug’s name. Needless to say it's a hot topic (as is anything seen as a short-lived short-cut) and ultimately it comes down to learning the right behaviors during its use that you can then leverage after you are done talking it. It has side effects for most. It works for a limited time before your body makes it ineffective so think of it as a onetime shot. Some people don’t learn to manage their hunger or the role of exercise and calories or whatever and put the weight back on (and then some like any diet short term fix).

If you take it watch for side effects – be ready to quit. Plan to get off it as quickly as possible (usually 3 months max is the recommended period). Use a tool like this to help you monitor your calories in/calories out. Exercise. Learn to eat better/differently. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • carissa321
    Options
    Say NO to pills!
  • VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is an amphetamine-like medication used to suppress appetite. It can help weight loss by decreasing your hunger or making you feel full longer. Phentermine may be recommended as part of an overall weight-loss plan if you're significantly overweight — not if you want to lose just a few pounds.

Phentermine may be a way to kick-start your weight loss. But once you stop taking it, you're likely to regain the weight you lost. That's why phentermine should be part of a plan that includes healthy eating and regular exercise — you're more likely to maintain your weight loss over time if you don't rely solely on medications.

It is not recommended to use for longer than 12 weeks and has several side affects as mentioned by many others.

You have to decide if your consumption problem comes from Strong Appetite or from poor food choices and can you gain control of the Appetite and wean yourself off the pills in a relatively short period of time. Doctors will often keep perscribing them long after they should because patients will come back for quick and profitable office visits so you have to take control of this yourself.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    phentermine can kill you.

literally and suddenly.

it has already killed people taking it for weight loss.

does that sound like something you really want to play around with?