Deadlifts: How much...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A few weeks back, I did 155lb for x45 reps. The heaviest I've attempted is 185lb for x3 reps and completed those. Next time I go for deadlifts, I'm gonna try 200lb!!!
    45 reps of deads..????? Is that a typo?

maybe 4 or 5??

LOL who knows- I'm doing a set of 20 squats I never thought I'd see the day... anything over that I think I might die.

could be 4 or 5 ...

45 on deadlits just seems like a lot ...I mean they are really taxing...I usually limit my reps to 5-8 depending on my weight range...
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 2.5-3 year. Last time I DLed it was 225# for 4 reps. My body weight is 157#. You are doing great! Keep at it!
  • ekemsley1
    ekemsley1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started doing it a couple weeks ago...um...I do 60lbs but I do 3 sets of 12reps with only a short break in between. I weigh like 135 right now so body weight seems....terrifying.

You all seem like you're doing much higher weight than me, but those of you that posted about reps seem to only be doing a few. I've heard when you're first starting not to lift more than what you can do 12 reps of at a time...is there truth to this? or should I just try to go heavier??
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just started doing it a couple weeks ago...um...I do 60lbs but I do 3 sets of 12reps with only a short break in between. I weigh like 135 right now so body weight seems....terrifying.

You all seem like you're doing much higher weight than me, but those of you that posted about reps seem to only be doing a few. I've heard when you're first starting not to lift more than what you can do 12 reps of at a time...is there truth to this? or should I just try to go heavier??

well it's a couple of things-
    1.) you are still new- so form and weight will be an issue- don't rush it and don't feel bad.
    2.) everyone is different so comparing numbers just isn't THAT helpful to be honest
    3..) lifting heavy is a rep range- not a number.

so 12 reps you aren't talking about heavy and strength- you are pushing into muscle endurance.

1-5 pure strength
    5-10 size and strength
    10-15 muscle endurance

if you were to drop down to lower reps- you'd be able to lift more- but when you are first starting- going pure strength is usually not a good idea.

Stick with that 8-12 range- and as you build a base- you can play with working on more strength oriented lifting- in which case I would go to an actual program designated for strength gains- you could actually do that now- but it might be-hoove you to stick to a slightly lower weight and keep working form.

you're aren't wrong- just a different program.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options

This is ME! I'm DL'ing 65 lbs. Interested in any advice on # of reps...
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't do a high amount either...but I do 3 rounds with 12 reps. When it becomes easy, I increase the weight.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I can do 3 X 155lbs, and I'm about 125lb, so thats about 1.25 X BW for me. My current goal is to get to about 1.5 X BW which is about 190 lbs.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Interested in any advice on # of reps...

There's really no golden rule, but I personally like to keep the rep range for Deadlifts (and all other Compound lifts for the matter) in the 5-8 rep range. Deadlifts I tend to do mostly 5 rep sets for a couple of reasons. First it's easier to maintain good form doing only 5 reps then 8 or 12, etc. Second, I lift heavy for strength gains so 5 reps or so is the logical number to work with, plus Deadlifting is a very taxing lift when done heavy. If I do a bunch of reps and sets for Deadlifts then all my other lifts in the workout that follow will suffer. And lastly, keeping a constant # of reps (in my case, 5) makes it easier for me to track my progress - if I can only get 4 reps I don't add weight next workout. If I get all 5 reps then I increase the weight next workout.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Your own body weight in a month? Well done you!!
  • 12amm34
    12amm34 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been dead lifting for about 5 months and maxed out at 220lbs. I weigh 130lbs. :)
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options

There's really no golden rule, but I personally like to keep the rep range for Deadlifts (and all other Compound lifts for the matter) in the 5-8 rep range. Deadlifts I tend to do mostly 5 rep sets for a couple of reasons. First it's easier to maintain good form doing only 5 reps then 8 or 12, etc. Second, I lift heavy for strength gains so 5 reps or so is the logical number to work with, plus Deadlifting is a very taxing lift when done heavy. If I do a bunch of reps and sets for Deadlifts then all my other lifts in the workout that follow will suffer. And lastly, keeping a constant # of reps (in my case, 5) makes it easier for me to track my progress - if I can only get 4 reps I don't add weight next workout. If I get all 5 reps then I increase the weight next workout.

TY this is helpful. I think I have just been babying myself doing 65 x 12. I know I can lift heavier, just been timid to do so. I'm legit afraid I'm going to throw my back out lifting heavier weight.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are looking for... are you asking about a good workout weight? Or a good 1 rep max? An "epic" lift (as one of the above posters put it) for a max would really be closer to about 3x body weight. an "excellent" lift would be about 2-2.5x body weight, and a good lift would be about 1-1.5x. There are all sorts for programs out there to help you build to achieve these numbers, and just because some people out there can't lift body weight it doesn't mean you suck or anything, you just gotta work at it to get better! We all start somewhere...
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    It's all relative, but I've been lifting for a few months and I will attempt to deadlift 235lbs today. On Monday, I lifted 225 lbs for 5 reps, which is above my body weight (I weigh 200).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

TY this is helpful. I think I have just been babying myself doing 65 x 12. I know I can lift heavier, just been timid to do so. I'm legit afraid I'm going to throw my back out lifting heavier weight.

Yeah, I think this was helpful too. I was shooting for 5 reps; I wasn't sure if this was right, but it "felt" right- being a compound lift and all. I'm pretty sure that I can go a little bit higher than 125lbs...but I didn't want to start sacrificing form for some arbitrary #. I think my next goal will be 185lbs, which is close to 1.5 body weight...and coincidentally, my husband's weight.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

Right now i am looking to lift more weight, less reps.
    for me at 109 i deadlift close to 135lbs 5 reprs for 4-5 sets

When I aim to do a bit more of a cardio lift during my cutting season i drop to BW and do more reps
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    For the ladies just starting out: I started last year with an empty bar (45 lbs). The last time I checked my ORM, it was about 225, I weigh 185. So don't worry about starting low, you need to take the time to build good form. The heavy weight will come soon enough.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Don't let others (especially on an internet forum) influence how much weight you put on the bar. You want to progress your Deadlift at a rate where you can lift with good form. When form starts breaking down and you can't hit your set # of reps, then you deload 10% and work your way back up.

This X100

I see so many dudes at the gym lifting 375+ with a bent back. I cringe. I myself was beginning to get a bit sloppy in my heavy sets ~330. Poor form will sometimes allow you to move more weight. Check yourself once in a while (video) and compare your warmup sets to your heavy sets. If there is significant breakdown than work to correct it. Im sacrificing volume for quality reps. I'd bet my left nut that I'll surpass the guys who are lifting with poor form. They'll get injured or just peter out because their leverage isn't efficient.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm 135#, started lifting again in April after a 9 month hiatus due to illness and major surgery. Started at the barbell in April. Got a 1 RM of 225# last week. I do working sets at 185#
  • shaynemkeeler
    Options
    when i was a freshman in high school during football i could max rep about 500 lbs in the dead lift and i could parralel squat 375 but only bench like 150 haha can def tell i was a lineman
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I pulled 385 yesterday @ BW of 180.
    According to http://www.strstd.com/ elite level for my weight is 433.
    I have only been at for 6 months, so maybe I can get there before long.