TDEE/BMR/MFP????

Options
Okay HELP! I'm so confused about all the different ways to calculate how many calories I should eat and when to eat back exercise calories. I lost 5 lbs quickly and now my weight loss has slowed/stopped. I eat between 1200-1400 each day. I never feel hungry enough to eat more than that. Even on days that I exercise. I only workout 20-30 minutes 6 days a week. Jillian's 30 Day Shred 4 days/wk and cardio 20-30 min 2 days/wk. So I don't eat back my exercise calories, because I figure I'm not burning more than 200 calories from exercise.
MFP has me at 1350 cal to lose 1.5lb per week and Scooby's calculator has me at 1476 for "lose fat-20% calorie reduction". I just don't know which way to go. Is one method better than the other, or does it all even out?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie goal includes your activity level but no exercise, so you must eat back at least a percentage of your calories.

TDEE includes your exercise, so if you customize your goal based on TDEE do not eat back any exercise calories—that would be double dipping.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Try 1,476 calories for two weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP has a great method...there really is no need to go any further.

I know lots say do TDEE-20% because it's simple but so is MFP method.

If you aren't losing weight chances are you are eating more than you think...I can tell because you don't weigh your food.

the 1.5lb a week is a bit high since you only have about 14 to lose...you should set that to 1/2 a week to ensure it's not too quick and you don't lose muscle too.

So if you start weighing your solids...measuring liquids...and eat a "reasonable" deficet for 1/2lb a week you will see the weight go.

ETA: if you choose to stay with MFP eat back 50-75% of your calories...because they are over estimated. As well think about doing some more resistence training and getting in extra protien so you maintain muscle mass instead of losing it by having too big of a deficet.

another Add..to be honest i did MFP method first I had 1380 calories to eat and add in 30DS it was 1600 calories..surprisingly enough that is what my TDEE -20% is...

TDEE is good if your exercise is consistent or you are lifting weights.
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I weigh my protein/meats. And things like sweet potatoes. Should I be weighing all solids, instead of cups/tbsp etc?
  • traceleann
    Options

the 1.5lb a week is a bit high since you only have about 14 to lose...you should set that to 1/2 a week to ensure it's not too quick and you don't lose muscle too.

If I set it to lose 1/2 lb/wk I'd be allowed 1840. There's no way I could eat that much a day. I have trouble eating 1400/day. I'm just so full by the time I eat all the fruits and veggies and drink 8 glasses of water. I've just been assuming if I stay around/under 1500 I would lose, but I'm not. So I think if I ate 1840 I would gain, right?
  • traceleann
    Options
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

If I set it to lose 1/2 lb/wk I'd be allowed 1840. There's no way I could eat that much a day. I have trouble eating 1400/day. I'm just so full by the time I eat all the fruits and veggies and drink 8 glasses of water. I've just been assuming if I stay around/under 1500 I would lose, but I'm not. So I think if I ate 1840 I would gain, right?

Just eat higher calorie foods....that's where it gets fun.

I eat about 1700 a day and lose 1/2lb-1lb a week being older (41) so yah you can lose on 1800...

If you weigh your food you will see just how much you really are eating and I see you watched the video so I don't have to tout on that...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    1. The goal is to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, not the minimum.

2. If you're not losing at 1,400, you may be underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burn. Weigh your food. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Try eating back half your exercise calories.

Did you read the Sexypants link? Here it is again: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • traceleann
    Options
    Thanks! I started weighing my food today instead of just measuring. There were a few things I was overestimating (apples) but for the most part I've been pretty spot on with that. I just added a few higher calorie foods that I don't usually eat to try to get a few more calories in every day. We'll see if that works!
  • traceleann
    Options
    One more thing. If I'm eating all my calories I'm usually over recommended fat, protein, sodium and sugar. Should I just be eating vegetables? I try to get 5 cups (at least) of fruits/veggies a day.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    One more thing. If I'm eating all my calories I'm usually over recommended fat, protein, sodium and sugar. Should I just be eating vegetables? I try to get 5 cups (at least) of fruits/veggies a day.
    I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums & ignore fat & carbs (including sugar). But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different answers.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh my protein/meats. And things like sweet potatoes. Should I be weighing all solids, instead of cups/tbsp etc?

yes, I pretty much weight everything that I can , as that is most accurate method.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you have not yet done this, go into MFP custom setting and change your macro percentages to 40%Protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats…

the mfp default settings are all jacked up for those three macros, IMO
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yup, weigh everything. I was surprised when I finally weighed my protein powder a few months ago. I was using LESS than I realized. So now I'm pre-weighing and storing it in small tubs for easy use. I also use the TDEE-20%, and it's great!