More accurate estimates on bicycling?

Options
I've seen a lot of peple say that MFP overestimates calories burned, so I was wondering if there was a better way to roughly calculate it? Even though I don't eat back my calories, I would like to not overestimate how much I'm working off!

5 times a week, I bicycle to university: There's 4km, and I do it in about 18min both ways (So, 13.3kmh or 8.3mph) . I do it in highest gear, and on the way out, there is 600m uphill slope + 200m VERY steep uphill. On the way back there is 200m uphill slope. The rest is moderately flat.
According to MFP, this is LESS than light bicycling... Excuse me, but on the way out, going up all those hills, it deffinitely doesn't feel light! And it's not like I'm falling a sleep on the way back either... So I've been logging it as moderate going out, light going home for a few days, but now I worry I'm massively overestimating the calories burned? I don't log any other things I do, like running errinds, walking up the stairs to my flat etc.. I've also listed myself as 'sedentary' in the options here on MFP.

I'm 216lbs, and 5'8".

Is there a way I can calculate a better estimate?

Replies

• Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I cycle 20-30 miles daily either on flat terrain or hills on a road bike or a mountain bike I also ride a beach cruiser I suggest you buy a HRM (watch and strap). I have the polar FT6. The calories expended results are almost 100 cals less than MFP.
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The only reliable way to know for sure is to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor. It will be worth it and is so much more accurate that MFP or estimating.
  • DickB3008
    DickB3008 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Using a heat rate monitor is the only way to go. I have a road bike that I can ride at average 15-18 mph for an hour plus, (assumes no wind, flat terrain). I also have a hybrid configured for carrying loads (commuting to work). It has different gears, different size cranks and different size tires. All these factor into the speed I can sustain... 11-12 mph for an hour plus.

The only way to level all the factors is to use average heart rate/hour. I aim for 80-90% of my max heart rate and use that to equate to vigorous cycling. In other applications that I have found, that relates to about 600 cal/hour.

Having a HRM also lets you figure out your max HR better than the 220-your age method.