How to stop binge eating at night time?

Options
124»

Replies

• PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Seconding tea. I make sure to keep a good variety of teas on hand depending on my mood (fruit, green, chai, black, oolong, rooibos). I prefer my tea plain, but if you need something sweet, you can add a squirt of honey to it. It fills your stomach and helps quite a bit with needless hunger.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I tend to want to binge at night. I drink a low cal hot chocolate instead. It satisfies the sweet and chocolate craving, you can get them as low as 60 calories and I even find them somewhat filling. Especially handy for the cold nights! Not as healthy as the tea options but this satisfies me personally much more.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for later on. I used to eat my dinners in bed like a decent 600 cal meal while in bed. Eventually I just learned to mentally adjust and not eat after a certain time. I wake up feeling a lot better
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A nice cup of fruity tea can help with the sweets craving late, as can chewing gum. Honestly, though, if it's 8 and I'm about to make a bad decision, I'll just go I bed (on a weeknight).
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I save calories for later in the day (lately I've been stressed and avoiding food, I'm not really a stress-eater anymore) and snack, and if that isn't enough, I go to bed. I get up early everyday so it just gives me a longer, healthier sleep than normal, so it's a win-win for sleep & not binging.

I also posted some motivational items on my fridge (like for my wedding next year and for the trip I'm taking to Michigan this May).

ETA: yes, tea. I drink a lot of tea. I don't even log it very often anymore because it's not worth it.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Also may be TOM cravings.

I was going to ask this actually. Mid-cycle and the week before I start I feel like I am an insatiable eating machine.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my problem as well, I'm traveling right now so it's actually an issue but if I'm home, this works every single time: Double Chocolate Casein. It's a slow burning protein and it reaaalllyy fills you up. You can have it just with water in a shaker bottle, or, to make it taste like a milk shake, run your blender empty for a min or so (this makes the shake more airy/filling, then add water, ice, and a scoop of casein (and a banana if you want and have any cals left over). Delish!
  • speculator66
    Options
    If you're really hungry try a black coffee, it could be that you're not eating enough during the day. Have a good breakfast and then five small meals during the day. I never eat anything after 6 if it is possible. If you eat big in the morning and light in the evening you will see more weight loss. good luck.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think lots of people have that problem:

What I've found helps:

. eat enough during the day...particularly protein

. go to bed early! When I'm tired, I'll eat too much.

I think sometimes simple works best!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I used to have a major problem with this and these are a few tips which helped me:

- eating more protein at dinner. This helped me stay full longer.

- getting rid of the snack foods I preferred to binge on at night, or at the very least preportioning them so that I would just grab 1 baggy/amt instead of being left to my own devices. I would then take it up to my room and leave the rest down in the kitchen. That was enough to stop my lazy behind from getting up to go for seconds.

- downing a glass of water when I felt the need to eat something come on. This helped me in multiple ways- mainly that I began to recognize that most of what I thought were hunger cues were actually thirst.

- sleeping earlier... on the one hand doesn't seem like this would do much but on the other, I realized that if I slept before 11 then I would just sleep through the night, but if I hit midnight and was still up then I'd start to feel hungry. Might be helpful if you find you fall in the same pattern.

- exercising willpower and letting my tummy rumble. This was the hardest thing to do for me, but oh so necessary. I had to break the pattern- they say 21 days to make a habit but honestly it takes so many more to break a bad one. Tracking EVERYTHING as honestly as possible helped me with this... I was able to clearly see how my night time binging was completely negating all of the better choices I made during the day. For the amount I used to eat at night, I might as well have enjoyed that extra slice of pizza AND handful of cheddar/dollop of dressing on my salad. Seeing how little it was "worth it" helped me find the willpower to ignore it.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Before I started MFP I would eat as many calories in the evening as I was eating during the day. For me it was a form of stress relief, comfort and tiredness. PMT week would be the worst. Now I am on MFP I just eat a small snack in the evening and click "finished logging for today". I know it is possible to add foods at this point but I find the little daily report inspiring and puts me off eating more. I drink hot herbal tea if I feel hungry later.