Energy/Power Bars

Options
SLLRunner
SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
Do any of you make your own energy bars? The reason I ask is because I am soy intolerant and most of the great bars out there, including Kind, have soy in them.

Here's a website I found this morning, and I must say some of these look pretty delicious. http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/homemade-energy-bar-recipes/

I'd love to hear what recipes you guys have for energy bars, if you make them.

Replies

• blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I made several batches of the followiing. My daughter eats the chocolate chip ones. These end up being real sticky but I keep them in the freezer and eat them within 10-20 minutes. It works fine for me. DIY Quest Bars

DIY Quest Bars!

Ingredients ~for the basic dough~ (makes 5 Bars):
    4 Scoops All Natural Vanilla Protein Powder (Depending on the brand, different protein powders have different textures. You want your powder to be as fine as possible, otherwise your bars will taste grainy)
    1/4 cup Organic Creamy Peanut Butter (If you don't like peanut butter, you can use sun butter, cashew butter, or almond butter, anything will work!)
    1/2 cup of honey, agave nectar, or a few tsp of stevia (If you choose to use stevia, you will need more water)
    1/4 cup Oat Flour (or fiber powder or ground flax seed)
    *A few Tbsp of Water (depending on what sweetener you use, you will need more or less water)

Variations:
    Depending on the flavor, you will need to add a few extra ingredients to your dough.
    ~Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar: add 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon to your dough
    ~Chocolate Brownie Quest Bar: add 1-2 Tbsp of cocoa powder to your dough
    ~Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest Bar: add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to your dough

Ingredients ~for the basic dough~ (makes 5 Bars):
    4 Scoops All Natural Vanilla Protein Powder (Depending on the brand, different protein powders have different textures. You want your powder to be as fine as possible, otherwise your bars will taste grainy)
    1/4 cup Organic Creamy Peanut Butter (If you don't like peanut butter, you can use sun butter, cashew butter, or almond butter, anything will work!)
    1/2 cup of honey, agave nectar, or a few tsp of stevia (If you choose to use stevia, you will need more water)
    1/4 cup Oat Flour (or fiber powder or ground flax seed)
    *A few Tbsp of Water (depending on what sweetener you use, you will need more or less water)

Variations:
    Depending on the flavor, you will need to add a few extra ingredients to your dough.
    ~Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar: add 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon to your dough
    ~Chocolate Brownie Quest Bar: add 1-2 Tbsp of cocoa powder to your dough
    ~Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Quest Bar: add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to your dough

Directions:
    With your hands, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Kneed the dough until all of the ingredients are well distributed. Press into a baking pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, cut the dough into 5 equal pieces and eat! Store these bars in the fridge...

The web address is sweetcheetah.com. Good luck!

Nutrition Facts (for 1 bar):

Calories-170

Carbohydrates- 12 grams

Fat- 8 grams

Protein- 20 grams

Sugars- 3 grams

Cholesterol- 0mg

Fiber- 2g
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Of course the nutrition values varied but all pretty close to the above info that was posted on the site.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you! Those actually sound delicious!

I believe most of the protein powders have soy in them too.
  • Ceilidh_H
    Ceilidh_H Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later, thanks!
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These look good. Thanks.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars myself...
    But I don't know if they are made w/ soy.

I will have to try and make my own one day....
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Just wondering if anyone knows of any protein powder that's either unsweetened or made with real sugar? (not a fan of the artificial sweetened kinds)
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I discovered Lara bars tonight. They only have a few ingredients, fruits and nuts usually. I looked at the ingredients and Im totally going to try and make them at home!
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    Sounds great! Just wondering if anyone knows of any protein powder that's either unsweetened or made with real sugar? (not a fan of the artificial sweetened kinds)

These lara bars seem to be sweetened and held together by dates, no sugar to brown rice syrup
  • psmd
    Options
    Omg I just looked up the recipe for Lara bars and they sound amazing and easy!
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    sorry, i didnt mean to quote that, so it looked like dates have protein, they dont. LOL but i like the idea of lara bars because there is no excess sweeteners.
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The Quest bar recipe looks great!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Saving for the recipe thanks
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I discovered Lara bars tonight. They only have a few ingredients, fruits and nuts usually. I looked at the ingredients and Im totally going to try and make them at home!
    I had one yesterday and did not like it real well. Lara bars do not have soy in them, which is nice.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound awesome! Thanks for sharing
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    I had one yesterday and did not like it real well. Lara bars do not have soy in them, which is nice.
    Give a different flavor a try. I got cherry pie which was tasty and tart and my bf got the coconut one and it was totally different.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Give a different flavor a try. I got cherry pie which was tasty and tart and my bf got the coconut one and it was totally different.
    Will do.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Tried another flavor and didn't like that either. I think I'll try making my own, and I will let you guys know how it goes.
  • psmd
    Options
    I just made one of the Lara bar recipes modified:

walnuts
    dates
    dash of salt
    chocolate protein powder (all we have at home right now)
    peppermint essence
    small amt water

Blended-- and they turned out excellent. Per serving: cal 250, fat 12gr (mostly the walnuts, a little from pp), fiber 5gr, protein 6gr

Very filling! I think next time I would take out the peppermint (I was trying the thin mint variety), some parts are extremely minty and others not because it was hard to blend in. Otherwise though it was great. Now I want to try other recipes, maybe the cashew nut...also not super firm so need to keep it refrigerated and eat it not too long after taking out.