Help!! I need a heart rate monitor!!!

Options
bpivy7
bpivy7 Posts: 13 Member
So i did all this research and I was all ready to buy the FitBit Force.. BUT when i tried to buy it they have all been recalled due to the band causing 'mysterious rashes'... I really had my heart set on this device bc i dont want a watch style monitor.. But at this point i dont really care.. My next choice is a product by Polar.. Any advice? what have you all tried and like?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What are you actually trying to track?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have had the polar FT4 and now Polar FT7. both have been priceless to me. my next purchase will be
    Polar RCX3 so I don't have to use my phone as GPS. my phone is so inaccurate.
  • bpivy7
    Options
    I wanna track calories burned is my main goal... but i want something that will be compatible with my phone.. i know the fit bit was compatible with MFP too..
  • nella2014
    nella2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    after extensive research i chose the Withings monitor. It has an an app for the phone and it connects with MFP. it also monitors sleep, but is not a watch style. both my husband and i have been using it for a few months and it works great!
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the polar FT4F in purple!
    I just wanna see burns and for $65 not bad!
    Great reviews and some of my pals that have one love it!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I wanna track calories burned is my main goal... but i want something that will be compatible with my phone.. i know the fit bit was compatible with MFP too..

The Fitbit is an activity tracker. It'll monitor steps throughout the day, but acts kind of like a high-tech pedometer, so it's not as accurate for tracking exercise (from my understanding). If running or walking is your main form of exercise though, I imagine it would be useful for tracking that exercise.

If you want something to track your exercise more effectively (at least steady state cardio), you want a heart rate monitor. I've got a Polar FT4, which I've really enjoyed thus far.
  • bpivy7
    Options
    Yeah im thinking about the PolarFT4 because that was my first choice before the FitBit
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Loop paired up with the Polar H7 Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor which pairs with lots of different fitness apps - like RunKeeper, which also pairs up with MFP so it all gets automatically inputted for me. I like it, it has an LCD display screen, it's got a lot of different features and tracks a bunch of different data for me. The only complaint I have at all about the Polar Loop is that the band comes waaaaay too big and then you have to cut it with scissors down to your size -- incredibly nerve wracking because if you cut off too much you just wasted your money.
  • mslaurza
    mslaurza Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit flex and returned it - then bought a polar f4 and LOVE it. It tells me how many calories I burn and I just enter those into MFP. The other activity trackers provide a lot of information w/o the heart rate which calculates calories burned during activity more accurately than a pedometer/accelerometer. I say skip all the graphs and charts and go with a polar.
  • racitraci
    Options
    Hi,

I've run a couple marathons/ half's and I'm a bit of a gadget girl (love them!). My favorite heart rate monitor is my Garmin.. I find that my rib cage isn't exactly even, and the strap works best for me. Also I find it loses its signal less the my polar did. The added bonus was a great feature that I could track my runs/ mileage/ heart rate with my Garmin. I was able to track my pace, and see my progression. There are so many great products in the market... have fun finding the one that works best for you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

For that specific purpose, either the RS300X which has required stats even available for better calorie burn estimates (it is calculated, not measured, after all).

Or get the Polar app for phone and Bluetooth compatible HR strap.

Saw that req above too.