Frozen veggie packages

Options
Hi everyone, im an off and on fitnesspal junkie. Recently started back my weight loss journey and feel hard to keep up my veggies on a plate daily.
Does anyone use frozen veggies packages to microwave? I know it saves time, but not sure from nutrition stand point if it beats the point.
How do you get your day veggie intake?

Replies

• rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i like to make a big batch of steamed greens. My fave is kale. Then it's ready to go along side an meal. Also i like adding broccoli to my eggs, or any veggies in eggs is good really. Salads are also good. Raw veggies like carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers are good too for snacking. Oh and homemade vegetable soup..
    *Almost any veggie roasted is delicious.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    i use microwaved frozen veggies, mostly to fill me after a "regular portion meal". i use stirfry packs as i get a variety of tastes and textures in a pack. the belief is that frozen vegetables have less vitamins than fresh ones, but i recently saw a study that said that may not be true. also, having slightly less amount of vitamins is better than not having veggies, as they still have most other nutrients intact if i understand it right. and they are way cheaper than fresh veg.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using table ready frozen vegetables. Get em' however you can! Eat what you enjoy, but challenge yourself to try new stuff too. When I make dinner, instead of just making the portion of vegetables my family will be eating for the night I always prepare extra, then I always have some in the fridge to add to breakfast or lunch. I have used left over cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, peppers and onions scrambled into my eggs for breakfast. If I don't have leftover vegetables I always keep bags of spinach to add to my eggs, and even soups, stews, pasta dishes, etc. Adding the spinach is a quick way to boost nutrition and you hardly taste it (I love the taste of sautéed spinach). I also mix spinach into my protein shakes. Often I make big salads to eat on all week as well and will add in different meats, nuts or even fruit. Good luck!
  • ks467
    ks467 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replies!
    What do you think about microwavable packages though? Good or stripping the nutrients?
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use frozen vegetables almost exclusively. They say freezing veggies retains more of the nutrition. Fresh veggies at the store can sit for weeks between being transported so that destroys most of the nutrients. Unless you are growing your own veggies then frozen is the most nutritious option. Nuking them in the microwave may kill some nutrients but still better than doing without.