How fast can you really build muscle?

I have started a pretty rigorous workout regime and have only been going at it for about 2 weeks. It’s actually a bootcamp….anyway, my diet has been pretty on point and I was losing weight prior to working out. Now I appear to be gaining weight – not a significant amount – but my body appears smaller/tighter/less fatty. People are telling me I am gaining muscle but can you REALLY gain that much in such a short amount of time? It seems highly unlikely and I cannot find any consistent information regarding the rate of muscle gain on the internet. Any information would be appreciated.

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Are you male or female?
    Are you lifting heavy weights?
    How much protein are you eating?
    How much of a calorie deficit are you eating at?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Perhaps water weight gain. Muscles hold water for repair and this can temporarily result in higher weight and bigger looking muscles. It's extra water. But the fact that muscles are holding water for repair, means you are on the right track.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I have started a pretty rigorous workout regime and have only been going at it for about 2 weeks. It’s actually a bootcamp….anyway, my diet has been pretty on point and I was losing weight prior to working out. Now I appear to be gaining weight – not a significant amount – but my body appears smaller/tighter/less fatty. People are telling me I am gaining muscle but can you REALLY gain that much in such a short amount of time? It seems highly unlikely and I cannot find any consistent information regarding the rate of muscle gain on the internet. Any information would be appreciated.

It is EXTREMELY hard for a male to put on 1-1.5lbs per month, and it's exponentially harder for females.

When you start a new training program, or increase the intensity of a current one your body will retain water for muscle repair. Once your body adjusts, the water will flush and if you have been eating at a deficit the scale should drop.

When you're at a deficit you lose water, fat, and muscle... Now if you're strength training in that deficit you are working on MAINTAINING that muscle so you lose mostly water and fat. Mix that with the water retention from the new regimen, you can see why you would seem "less fatty", but the scale isn't moving even though you're getting smaller.
  • Female - Idk about heavy weights but we do all sorts of stuff - cardio, body weight exercises, typical weight lifting, resistance exercises, ropes and tire flips - these are all in circuits - I eat between 70-100grams of proteing a day. And I typically don't eat back my exercise calories - my diary is public so you can see what I eat.
  • RGv2
    Female - Idk about heavy weights but we do all sorts of stuff - cardio, body weight exercises, typical weight lifting, resistance exercises, ropes and tire flips - these are all in circuits - I eat between 70-100grams of proteing a day. And I typically don't eat back my exercise calories - my diary is public so you can see what I eat.

See my above post, and if you're not eating back any exercise cals, you're not building any muscle. If you don't eat back exercise cals, what do you net?
  • Female - Idk about heavy weights but we do all sorts of stuff - cardio, body weight exercises, typical weight lifting, resistance exercises, ropes and tire flips - these are all in circuits - I eat between 70-100grams of proteing a day. And I typically don't eat back my exercise calories - my diary is public so you can see what I eat.

See my above post, and if you're not eating back any exercise cals, you're not building any muscle. If you don't eat back exercise cals, what do you net?

I eat between 1600-1700 cals a day - my diary doesnt always reflect EVERYTHING but is pretty close

I eat between 1600-1700 cals a day - my diary doesnt always reflect EVERYTHING but is pretty close

I also think I underestimate my portions, so it's probably a little higher. I am used to eating like a teenage boy so I have significantly improved my habits.
  • RGv2
    Female - Idk about heavy weights but we do all sorts of stuff - cardio, body weight exercises, typical weight lifting, resistance exercises, ropes and tire flips - these are all in circuits - I eat between 70-100grams of proteing a day. And I typically don't eat back my exercise calories - my diary is public so you can see what I eat.

I also think I underestimate my portions, so it's probably a little higher. I am used to eating like a teenage boy so I have significantly improved my habits.

It would be interesting to know, but with the information presented I don't think you'd be building muscle at all (or very little) as you're most likely in a sizeable deficit if you're not eating back exercise cals. Can't say for sure though as I don't know ht, wt, age.

It would be interesting to know, but with the information presented I don't think you'd be building muscle at all (or very little) as you're most likely in a sizeable deficit if you're not eating back exercise cals. Can't say for sure though as I don't know ht, wt, age.

I am 5'10, 26, weigh 174 and am at 28% bf

Do you really have to eat back all of your calories to gain muscle if you are still getting adequate protein? I am not arguing, I just really want to know.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    You have to eat to build muscle. One of the side effects is you will put on some fat too, so...you say you are 28% bf so you probably can cut down first before you try and add muscle. Lift heavy and continue to eat in a deficit.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    If you are at a caloric deficient, you aren't gaining muscle....Especially in only 2 weeks time.
  • You have to eat to build muscle. One of the side effects is you will put on some fat too, so...you say you are 28% bf so you probably can cut down first before you try and add muscle. Lift heavy and continue to eat in a deficit.

Meh, I would prefer to work out and add muscle... I would like to lean out to about 23% body fat eventually but working out makes me feel better mentally and physically - If I have a little extra cushion in the mean time - I'm not terribly upset about it. I am still within healthy range for women.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    You have to eat to build muscle. One of the side effects is you will put on some fat too, so...you say you are 28% bf so you probably can cut down first before you try and add muscle. Lift heavy and continue to eat in a deficit.

Meh, I would prefer to work out and add muscle... I would like to lean out to about 23% body fat eventually but working out makes me feel better mentally and physically - If I have a little extra cushion in the mean time - I'm not terribly upset about it. I am still within healthy range for women.

He's saying to build muscle you will be in a "bulking phase" which means you will also be adding fat to your body.

ETA: you can be in a "cutting phase" and maintain plenty of your muscle tissue. That's why he's referring to as "cutting down at first".
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You have to eat at a calorie surplus to build muscle. But eating at a deficit and reducing fat will make the muscles you do have more visible. You can gain strength.
  • RGv2

You can't workout and add muscle if you're not supplying the building blocks (calories). You can eat around maintenance and do a recomp, but from what I've read you'd need to change your workout routine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

it's not possible to do those things.

you can lose fat AND get stronger.

But you cannot lose fat and get BIGGER.

Most of the time when women think they are putting on size what they are really doing is dropping body fat and showing definition.

Putting on physical size is very hard- and a long process. You're getting more defined and stronger- not building size.
  • RGv2

I am 5'10, 26, weigh 174 and am at 28% bf

Do you really have to eat back all of your calories to gain muscle if you are still getting adequate protein? I am not arguing, I just really want to know.

Yes... There are outliers of course, morbidly obese, extremely untrained (noob gains), etc....
  • Meh, I would prefer to work out and add muscle... I would like to lean out to about 23% body fat eventually but working out makes me feel better mentally and physically - If I have a little extra cushion in the mean time - I'm not terribly upset about it. I am still within healthy range for women.

it's not possible to do those things.

you can lose fat AND get stronger.

But you cannot lose fat and get BIGGER.

Most of the time when women think they are putting on size what they are really doing is dropping body fat and showing definition.

Putting on physical size is very hard- and a long process. You're getting more defined and stronger- not building size.

I suppose this was the answer I was looking for and I was asking the wrong question

But I appreciate all the information everyone has provided - thank you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I suppose this was the answer I was looking for and I was asking the wrong question

But I appreciate all the information everyone has provided - thank you!

it's a common misconception.

At some point you'll realize definition and strength aren't enough and then you'll WANT the size. :D that's when it gets really fun LOL
  • Young adults are already in a category that lose weight a lot faster than say someone who is 45.
    I am 40 and found P90X and Insanity worked well..very well. Bill Phillips Body for Life worked very well years ago.
    And I wanted something that was easier on my body, didn't take as much time, and I didn't have to think about what my next meal was going to be.
    I researched and found two that my full criteria. I know there are more out there...
    First I found one that is great for men and women at http://buildthemuscle.net.
    And the one I decided to do because it has a great support system of women doing the program and finished the program, just for women, and simply laid out and guaranteed and I found it at http://inshapenow.net.
    I'm losing on average 1 1/2 pounds a week.
    I think one of the keys to success is setting yourself up for success. Find a plan that is realistic to your lifestyle so you aren't cheating or angry at yourself for missing a workout or a meal.

To your lifestyle change!