(Sort of) new here: BMR & TDEE

Options
I've been on the MFP app for 2 years now but only just started using the discussion boards. I wish I had come here sooner!

I've been working out steadily for over 3 months. I was active before, but a daily run was my only exercise. Now, I do resistance training daily (1 rest day) and a couple group fitness classes a week in addition to about 40-45 minutes of cardio every day.

I've not seen any weight loss in over 2 months. I'm 7 pounds away from my goal weight, and while I understand that the last pounds are especially stubborn, this is so frustrating! Is this because I'm consuming too few/too many calories? I've been blindly following the outline given my MFP and knew nothing about BMR or TDEE until I joined the boards. Can someone shed some light on this for me? And maybe help explain the concept?

Replies

• zzonked
    zzonked Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BMR = Base Metabolic Rate. This is the calories your body uses just to carry out normal functions throughout the day. It varies between people, height and weight can change it for example.
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is the total amount of calories you use in a day, so it would include the BMR and also the calories you use on any exercise you expend calories doing.

If you want to lose weight then eat fewer calories than your TDEE. Your body doesn't get enough calories from food so it burns fat instead.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To be frank it doesn't matter if you use TDEE method or NEAT (which is the default for MFP)

Typically TDEE-20%=calories given by MFP+exercise calories.

What is your weekly weight loss goal?
    What is your intake?
    What are your burns?
    How do you measure your calories burned?
    Do you weigh your food? Measure your liquids?

If you open your diary more accurate answers can be given...