My first 10km race! Will other runners judge me?

Options
Hey guys

I've just signed up for my first 10km race - I'm doing the one organized by El Corte Ingles in Barcelona (I live here). I totally signed up on impulse - I walked past a stand where they were advertising it, and since its free entry I thought why not.

It's in a month's time and I can currently run about 7km. I do 5km in about 30 minutes. I'm confident I can finish the race (even if im so slow I'm almost walking in some parts of it...) I just wanna have fun and not worry about the time. I run 5km at the gym as my standard cardio workout but I've never actually run a 5km race so this is my first race ever.

HOWEVER, what I wanted to ask is what can I expect during the race. Will other runners judge me if I'm walking for parts of it? Is it acceptable to do this ? Is your first race intimidating?

It would be great to hear your experiences of your first 10KM :)

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    No one will judge you. Definitely do the race and have fun! There is nothing like running a race to inspire you to improve at running! Just make sure to start near the back of the pack so you can stay out of everyone's way and avoid injury.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea and a great motivation! I agree with others, I absolutely don't believe that anyone will judge you.
    I hope you will have lots of fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good luck. If they are doing their best to run they will be too busy to judge tiu. Wow 5k in thirty that's great. You can do this. Make your first biggie fun, enjoy.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    No one will judge you.

Unless, of course, you decide to go from run to walk break without moving to the right and checking over your shoulder for traffic before you decellerate. Then they will judge you. And, if they've learned from experience, probably plow right through you.

Just be polite, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You're doing this for you, not them.
  • Niittykukka
    Options
    If anything, even the mere presence of the others will motivate you so much! I did my best personal time at my first 10K race. The crowd just takes you along!!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I doubt people will judge you; however, don't worry about that if some do. focus on yourself and your run. your first race can be intimidating. I ran my first 10K in September 2013 and I was super nervous. I signed up for a half in May 2014 and I was unsure of myself. I've been training for my first half and my confidence is slowly starting to build. I have some friends that do half marathon's and they run/walk them. Continue to train and i'm sure your confidence will build as well. good luck.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think the other posters were dead on with everything they said, I just wanted to add that, yes, your first run is intimidating. I was shaking like a leaf for my first 5k. And my second race wasn't much better. I assume that at some point they get less intimidating, but that is also why they're so fun. If you're not nervous for it, and how you're going to do, the race wouldn't be as much of an achievement in my opinion. So enjoy the nerves.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Two things:
    If you want a 10k training plan for the time you have, Hal Higdon has 10k training plans free online.
    If you want a walk/jog plan, Jeff Galloway has a good plan.

Don't be afraid to start at the back of the pack. There will be less traffic and you can do your own thing. Plus, there are almost always truly inspiring people back there.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Some of them might but they're probably ****s all the time so just ignore them. ;-)

Most of them will be really supportive and encouraging.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    No one will judge you. Start in an appropriate corral for your timing abilities, and have fun. Everyone is focused on their own goals.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nahh they don't care. You'll be surprised by how the atmosphere and spirit of a race lifts you. I'd be surprised to hear you walk at all.
  • diamonddaveperry
    diamonddaveperry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 25 years. No one will judge you.

Do your best, do it for YOU and good luck!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    some runners can be jerks but most runners are fun, encouraging, and will respect you for going out there and finishing! there is no shame in walking during a race. the jerky runners i speak of are ones I have encountered who will literally push you out of the way to get in front of you, litter (ugh, at least TRY to throw your little paper cup into the trash!), and don't cheer on the people who finish AFTER them. most people at races are not like this luckily. i think the adrenaline of doing a race will make you feel awesome (as it does me!) and you won't even worry about anyone or what they are thinking of you.

good luck!
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance Bike rider and my son is an ultra-marathoner. One of the reasons we both do these is the people who we are exercising with. We didn't just start doing these rides/races. We started doing just what you are doing. One foot in front of the other. Because of that we remember those days when we thought a 100 Mile ride or a 100 mile run was impossible. Almost everyone who is running will also remember those days. So I think that what you will experience is a whole lot of support, smiles and help. Everyone will be glad you are out there doing it ! Good luck.. you will do fine !
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I did my first race recently, 6.5km.

The atmosphere was great, and a lot of people walked or walked/ran like I did.

If you are planning to run slow or walk parts of it, just learn if there is a particular side you should keep to so that faster runners can overtake you.

Also start in the appropriate place for your level (faster up the front, slower towards the back)
  • amyws1910
    amyws1910 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll have a read online about race etiquette as I had no idea about moving over to the side to slow down etc!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are going to do fine. One thing: don't try to run 10 km at the same speed you run 5. Slow up some.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey guys

I've just signed up for my first 10km race - I'm doing the one organized by El Corte Ingles in Barcelona (I live here). I totally signed up on impulse - I walked past a stand where they were advertising it, and since its free entry I thought why not.

It's in a month's time and I can currently run about 7km. I do 5km in about 30 minutes. I'm confident I can finish the race (even if im so slow I'm almost walking in some parts of it...) I just wanna have fun and not worry about the time. I run 5km at the gym as my standard cardio workout but I've never actually run a 5km race so this is my first race ever.

HOWEVER, what I wanted to ask is what can I expect during the race. Will other runners judge me if I'm walking for parts of it? Is it acceptable to do this ? Is your first race intimidating?

It would be great to hear your experiences of your first 10KM :)

Don't worry about what ANYONE thinks of you, let alone other runners. Runners tend not to be judgemental, but this is your race and yours alone. Train with dedication and have a fantastic race experience. The advice of starting too fast is very important…running 10km is totally totally different to running 5k in 30 minutes, and running it outdoors is 100% different to running it in a gym. I'd say train outdoors, it will be much better preparation than a treadmill.

Good luck!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    in reply to your message no runner will judge you in fact they motivate you even more even in a race or run so never feel down we all have had to start from scratch so good luck and have a great day