Fish oil dramatically boosts metabolism?

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. After reading the previous article I posted both fish and krill oil are effective supplements if you're looking to include more EFAsinto your diet. However they do not appear to boost your metabolism.

Metabolic Data

No significant differences between groups were observed over time for resting metabolic rate (SO = -62 ± 184 kcal, FO = 17 ± 260 kcal; p = 0.40), or for the respiratory exchange ratio (SO = 0.023 ± 0.54; FO = -0.019 ± 0.85, p = 0.16).

But if you look at the rest of this study it still makes alot of compelling reasons to include fish oil in your diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958879/

"
    The results of this study showed that 6 weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults. This is in agreement with Couet et al. [21], who observed a significant 0.88 kg reduction in fat mass, and a non-significant 0.20 kg increase in lean mass following 3 weeks of an increased consumption of fish oil. In their study, they added fish oil to the diet, but kept total fat and energy constant between the treatments. In the present study, the fish oil was added on top of an ad libitum diet, with instructions given to the subjects to maintain their normal dietary patterns throughout the study. Similarly, Hill et al [22] found a significant reduction in fat mass following 12 weeks of supplementation with fish oil in overweight subjects. They also observed an increase in lean mass in the fish oil group, however, like the data reported by Couet et al. [21], it did not reach significance. Thorsdottir et al. [23] recently found that supplementation with fish oil, or inclusion of fish in an energy-restricted diet resulted in significantly greater weight loss in young men. Additionally, they found that young men taking the fish oil supplements had a significantly greater reduction in waist circumference compared to the control group, or the group that increased their dietary intake of fish.

Unlike the Couet et al. study [21], we did not observe an increase in RMR, or a decrease in RER following fish oil treatment. The failure to find an increase in RMR following fish oil treatment is hard to explain given the significant increase in lean mass observed in the present study. Several studies have shown that lean mass is the largest determinant of RMR [28-30], and decreasing lean mass decreases RMR [31], while increasing lean mass increases RMR [32]. Therefore, it would be expected that the increase in lean mass would correspond to an increased RMR following fish oil treatment. In the Couet et al. study [21], metabolic data were measured for 45 min following a 90 min rest period. This is a longer time period than the 40 min used in the present study. However, it is doubtful that this methodological difference between the studies contributed to the differing effects observed for RMR and RER values since recent studies have shown that very short rest periods (as little as 5 min) produce reproducible results that correlate extremely well with RMR measures made over much longer time periods [33,34]. It is also unlikely that the use of a subset (n = 24) of the total subject population can explain the failure to observe any metabolic changes since analysis of the 24 subjects found that they responded similar to the entire group in regards to body composition changes. It remains unclear why the increased lean mass observed following fish oil treatment did not correspond to an increase in RMR.

Intuitively it would make sense that if fat mass was reduced, but resting metabolic rate did not change following fish oil treatment, then the amount of calories coming from the oxidation of fatty acids should be increased. However, this was not the case in the present study. Although there was an absolute reduction in the RER following fish oil treatment (which would indicate an increased oxidation of fatty acids), the difference was not statistically significant. While it is possible that a type II error was committed and the reduction in RER was a real effect, it is also possible that the fish oil treatment increased fat oxidation at other times during the day such as during exercise [35], or during the post-prandial period [36].

A potential shortcoming of the present study was not using dietary records to monitor the subjects' intake during the study. Although there are several potential problems with the use of dietary records (for a review of inaccuracies with self-recorded diet records see [37]), they would have provided us with some insight into the dietary habits of the subjects during the study. It therefore remains a possibility that the fish oil supplements resulted in the subjects changing their normal dietary habits. Although increasing dietary fat does not generally cause a decrease in voluntary fat intake [38], it has been shown that fish oil may reduce appetite [39], which could have led to the subjects consuming less total calories during the study. While a reduction in volitional food intake would explain the observed reduction in fat mass following fish oil treatment, it does not explain the increase in lean mass we observed.

Although other studies have observed a significant [3,5], or insignificant [21,22], increase in lean mass following fish oil treatment, to date no study has determined the mechanism by which dietary fish oil causes an increased accretion of lean mass. One possibility lies in the well-documented ability of dietary omega 3 fatty acids to reduce inflammatory cytokines [40], since inflammatory cytokines have the ability to increase protein degradation mainly by activating the ATP-ubiquitin-dependent pathway [41-45]. It is possible then, that dietary fish oil is simply decreasing the breakdown of protein tissue caused by inflammatory cytokines, and this results in an increased accretion of protein over time.

An alternative possibility is that fish oil supplementation was able to increase lean mass by reducing cortisol levels since it is well established that cortisol increases protein catabolism [46-49]. The significant negative correlation (r = -0.504, p = 0.02) observed in the fish oil group between the change in lean mass and the change in salivary cortisol concentrations would support this hypothesis. Although other studies have observed a decrease in cortisol levels following fish oil consumption [20], the exact mechanism(s) responsible are currently unknown. However, it is possible that the reduction of IL-6 as a result of fish oil consumption [50] is causing a reduction in cortisol production since it has been shown that IL-6 induces increases in cortisol levels [51,52]. It is unclear whether it is the well-documented ability of fish oil to reduce inflammatory cytokines, the reduction in cortisol, or a combination of both, that resulted in the increased lean mass observed in the present study following fish oil treatment. More work is needed to determine the mechanism(s) responsible for the accretion of lean mass following fish oil consumption.

The role of cortisol in obesity is poorly understood. Excessive cortisol levels, such as those observed in patients with Cushing's disease, results in substantial fat mass gains - especially in the abdominal region [17,19]. However, there is disagreement between studies about the relationship between values of cortisol that are within a normal physiological range, and obesity [18]. Nevertheless, several studies have shown an association with higher levels of cortisol and fat mass [53-58]. In the present study, there was a significant correlation between the change in salivary cortisol and the change in fat mass following fish oil treatment (r = 0.661, p = 0.001). Recent work by Purnell et al. [59] has shown that a reduction in fat mass as a result of dieting does not lower cortisol production, which would suggest that the relationship observed in the present study between salivary cortisol and fat mass was not simply a result of the reduction in fat mass. However, further work is needed to determine exactly how the reduction in cortisol levels may have influenced fat loss observed in the FO group.

In conclusion, 6 weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults. Given the short duration of this study, it is unclear how these changes would impact long-term body composition changes and more research is needed to determine the impact of chronic fish oil supplementation on long-term body composition. The reduction in salivary cortisol following fish oil treatment was significantly correlated with the increased fat free mass and the decreased fat mass observed. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first time that this association has been described in the literature. Since higher salivary cortisol levels are associated with higher mortality rates [60], the reduction in salivary cortisol levels observed in the present study following fish oil supplementation likely has significant implications beyond positive changes in body composition."
  • ShariTho1
    ShariTho1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this article, and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this!

The article states:
    "EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids found only in fish oil, may have the power to dramatically boost your metabolism -- by about 400 calories per day, researchers from the University of Western Ontario report. Fish oil increases levels of fat-burning enzymes and decreases levels of fat-storage enzymes in your body. For the best metabolism boosting benefit, choose capsules containing at least 300 milligrams of EPA and DHA total."

Thoughts?

Link: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat?page=3

I just read the same thing on WebMD website. Surely you can believe WebMD, can't you?
    My husband is picking some up today!! :-)
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It dramatically boosts the fishiness of your burps.

Truth.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If that were true, I wouldn't need to be here. :smile:
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Let's see FDA approved indication based on Randomized Clinical Trial(s) (key word) remains only hypertriglyceridemia...that is for Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (LOVAZA) whereas fish oils have a laundry list of reported/observational/anecdotal etc. uses for everything ranging from Alzhiemer's to cancer to respiratory diseases to ulcerative colitis (man, many more). It's the same deal with Melatonin.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    fish oil is good for you ..but there are no magic metabolism boosters out there...no matter what you read on MFP threads or see on Dr Oz...

^^ This. I do take a fish oil supplement daily for its' health/nutrition benefits, but pertaining to boosting your metabolism, I'm sorry -- but no.
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    Fish oil is great for you, but boosting metabolism by 400 cal/day is probably too good to be true for the vast majority of people
    Regardless, it probably can't hurt to take it for the other benefits unless you're on blood thinners or have clotting problems or are having surgery soon. Check with your doctor first!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IF that was the case you could eat at maintenance, take fish oil, and lose almost a pound per week….which I think you would have about 0.0% chance of happening...
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I take a flaxseed oil supplement in the morning and a fish oil supplement in the evening so I can get various forms of omega-3. Mostly just because it helps with Dry Eyes and also because I absolutely hate seafood.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Pretty skeptical on it bumping the metabolism significantly but in general, fish oil or krill oil are one of the few supplements that I legitimately think most people should be taking, especially if they cannot afford or otherwise do not eat much in the way of fish.

I take one daily that is 657 Mg of EPA and 253 Mg DHA. I also eat salmon at least once per week and usually MahiMahi another time during the week...the Mahi isn't as great a source as the salmon, but I like MahiMahi and it's still a reasonably good source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a fish oil supplement for well over a year and it hasn't done anything for my metabolism. I typically take two per day and they are only 10 calories each.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Full Mayo Clinic Article: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil-alpha-linolenic-acid/background/HRB-20059372

Specifics: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil-alpha-linolenic-acid/evidence/HRB-20059372
    Weight loss

Dietary fish has been found to increase the effects of a weight loss program in improving metabolism and cholesterol in obese people. One study reported that fish oil supplementation helped lower fat mass, but combined studies found a lack of effect on weight loss. Research has looked at the effect of omega-3 on weight gain, due to the calorie content of omega-3 fatty acids. When taken with fenofibrate for up to 16 weeks, there was a lack of weight gain. Further research is needed to understand the potential benefits of omega-3 for weight loss.
    Energy

Studies suggest that athletes who take fish oil may reduce oxygen consumption during exercise. However, other research has found a lack of effect of fish oil on energy or metabolism in healthy people. Further research is needed.
  • bigred503
    bigred503 Posts: 98
    Options
    Cant speak for everyone but I have just recently started taking a 75% fish oil, 900mg and I own a body media. Since the very day I started taking fish oil I burn anywhere from 400 calories extra on a lazy day and 600/700 extra on a more active day. Like I said, I cant vouch for everyone or every brand but I can say along with the health benefits, I'm pretty happy about the extra calorie burn. :)
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've NEVER taken fish oil supplements since a friend of mine was taking them and had to stop cause her husband told her she smelled "fishy" down THERE, once she stopped she went back to normal per say, and i never want that to happen to me...how embarrassing so that made me never want to take them hahahahahaha
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I've NEVER taken fish oil supplements since a friend of mine was taking them and had to stop cause her husband told her she smelled "fishy" down THERE, once she stopped she went back to normal per say, and i never want that to happen to me...how embarrassing so that made me never want to take them hahahahahaha

uh. Good story I guess.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Just eat the fish.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Take the fish oil. Eat pineapples.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cant speak for everyone but I have just recently started taking a 75% fish oil, 900mg and I own a body media. Since the very day I started taking fish oil I burn anywhere from 400 calories extra on a lazy day and 600/700 extra on a more active day. Like I said, I cant vouch for everyone or every brand but I can say along with the health benefits, I'm pretty happy about the extra calorie burn. :)
    Umm, how would you know that? Your Body Media only records your activity rate, not your metabolism...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Here is the study that the OP's article referred to but didn't actually cite:

EFFECTS OF VARYING DOSES OF FISH OIL SUPPLEMENTATION ON RESTING METABOLIC RATE AND BODY COMPOSITION
    E.E. Noreen, R.J. Petrella, FACSM, P.W.R. Lemon, FACSM. (Sponsor: P.W.R. Lemon)
    University of Western Ontario, London ON

Several studies have shown that rodents accumulate less body fat when fed a diet rich in fish oil (FO) when compared to an isoenergetic diet rich in other fat. However, little is known about this effect in humans. PURPOSE: 1) To determine the effect of supplemental FO on resting metabolic rate (RMR) and body composition and 2) To determine if there is a difference in response to varying doses of FO. METHODS: 32 healthy men and women (50+16 y, mean+SD) participated in this study. Baseline measurements were made following an overnight fast. Body composition was assessed by whole body densitometry using air displacement. RMR was measured by indirect calorimetry using a face mask. Blood samples were analyzed for glucose, triglycerides (TG), and insulin. 24h urine creatinine (CR) was measured. Subjects were matched for fat free mass and assigned to one of four groups: Safflower oil (SO) - 9g/d; Low FO (LFO) - 3g/d concentrated FO supplying 900 mg eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 600 mg docosahexaenoic acid (DHA); Medium FO (MFO) - 6g/d FO supplying 1.8g EPA and 1.2g DHA per day; High FO (HFO) - 9g/d FO supplying 2.7g EPA and 1.8g DHA. All tests were repeated following 28d of treatment. RESULTS: RMR increased in all FO groups following supplementation (LFO 488+199 kcal/d, p<0.05; mean+SEM, MFO 196+48 kcal/d, p<0.1, HFO 141+83 kcal/d, p>0.1) and decreased in the SO (-65+77, p>0.1). Urinary CR excretion increased in all FO groups (LFO 30+80 mg/d, p>0.1, MFO 60+50 mg/d, p>0.1, HFO 200+100 mg/d p<0.1) and decreased in the SO (-260 +160 mg/d, p<0.05). Serum TG decreased significantly in all FO (p<0.05), with no change in SO. Body composition changes were not significant. CONCLUSION: 28d of FO supplementation increases RMR in humans; however, lean mass changes do not appear to be responsible.

So it looks like there are some actual studies out there showing that just taking fish oil does boost metabolism, but I'm still a bit skeptical. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.