Depression & possible IBS? So much pain. Help?

Options
Hello everyone.
I'm trying to get started again as I didn't manage to maintain and am in an era of self sabotage. I'm constantly exhausted, have headaches and have been dealing with depression for years... and my stomach is causing me hell. That in turn makes me bloated and heavy, and look and feel even more disgusting.
This is making it really hard to get motivated to do anything but I can't fit into my clothes and I want to get back to what I was, if not smaller.
Last year I managed to get really in to it- but this year it feels like the world is against me.
:(
Does anyone know anything about IBS or have any motivation tips?

Replies

• NiikouruDesu
    Options
    You should get it checked out by your doctor. You could have a food allergy or intolerance.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Seems like a doctor visit might be your best option. You will get lots of free advice here, but if you're problems are that severe, I wouldn't gamble my health. take care.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS for years but I suspect that my case isn't as severe as others. I have found that I feel better eating more whole foods, more fiber. I have had fewer flair ups, but had one night before last where the stomach problems came out of the blue and my belly hurt horribly. Yesterday I really didn't feel good at all but better today. I know someone who has it and needs medication so yes, definitely see your doctor!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think you should see a doctor. Regarding depression, here is a blog post I wrote on emotional eating:

Emotions and Eating
    (32 lbs down from highest weight - ticker reset Jan. 1)

For me:
    1. Separating food and exercise in my mind regarding weight loss. I EAT to lose weight, I exercise for FITNESS. This alone was an eye opener.
    2. Don't trust your emotions. Emotions come and go, and your life is only as upsetting as your current mood. It shall pass. Take note of your "internal weather" and "dress" accordingly. Feeling sunny? Wear a smile and problem solve. Raining? Put on your "protective" wear (ie mindless chores, fun craft, something to give you a sense of accomplishment. Your "protective rain coat" prevents you from getting soaked in rainy emotions, wallowing, or worse, dwelling on your problems. Problem solve (pull weeds from the garden of your life) when it's not raining.
    3. Eat better during the "normal" times - you can eat "boring" food when all you really want to do is eat to satisfy hunger. You'll find that's the majority of the time. You only really need "exciting" food a little bit. You'll find that you binge less. You just don't have the taste for it.
    4. If you must binge, binge on healthy stuff. I have a family, who is not on a diet, and I cook for them. Bacon, pancakes, cake, carbs, meats, sauces, desserts are constantly made, by me, for them. Not only is this stuff in the house, but I'm handling it all the time. I have Skinny Cow candy just for me, easy steam veggies, canned soups, frozen meals, etc. that no one else in my house cares about. That's my go to at crunch time.
    5. Count your blessings and pray. We can focus on bad things or good things, and these will affect your moods. Counting your blessings help you focus on good things. Prayer gives you strength and joy.
    6. Post daily on MFP. Sometimes just admitting you are struggling can give you the fortitude to make a DECISION to change your mood with life affirming things. Post your struggle and your decision: I feel like wallowing, BUT, I will do ten squats right now.
    7. Clean. This is a real mood booster. It might be unpleasant, but you see the results right away, and your little brain chemicals give you a star. Other mood boosters:
    Change clothes
    Put on sneakers
    Read something inspiring
    Exercise
    Give encouragement to others
    Hugs and kisses
    Do an unpleasant task you've been avoiding
    8. Separate the behaviors of others from your self worth. People can be really selfish, mean, catty, uncaring, critical, etc. women tend to take these things personally. Don't. They're just being insecure jerks half the time, and has little to do with you. Find ways to not "catch the hot potato" they are trying to throw on you. You can return to sender or, better, let the potato drop on the floor and let them pick it up. There are ways to do this without acting like a jerk yourself. Half of it is training your mind to separate honest constructive criticism from a critical person's insecure need to critique others.
    9. Train yourself to take life one day at a time. Most of the time we are feeling bad its because of hurts from the past or worries about the future. Don't think of HOW LONG you will have to eat well. Think of eating well today. Think about tomorrow, tomorrow,

And,

Philippians 4:8
    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think of these things.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You need to do some reading about the Specific Carb Diet as well as FODMAPS diet. I have used the guidelines from both diets and and have figured out some of my food triggers. I've nearly gotten rid of my IBS entirely. It only acts up on me when I eat off plan.

I can't recommend these diets enough. You can try one or the other or do like me and do a mashup of both. You will find some of the foods that are "Okay" on those diets will NOT be okay for you. You will learn your trigger foods by introducing foods one at a time.

My IBS was alternating between d and c. I'd have constant bloating and a pressure in the left side of my stomach, all the time. It's gone away completely. It has been a huge relief to feel normal again.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I supposedly have IBS and it was bad for years until I figured out what foods trigger it for me. So diet plays a big part in it, and of course stress. So figuring out what is causing your to have episodes is a good start.

for depression I would say see your Dr. I refused to see mine for years, thinking I could just "get over it" and you know what? I really couldn't. For me, a few months of antidepressants was enough to allow me to think clearly again and have motivation to change my lifestyle. My Dr is okay with that and just told me to tell him if I need them again. (i had the super lowest dose so now withdrawal or anything)
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Definitely work with your Primary Care Physician. Self diagnosis can be an expensive and time consuming thing.Trust me, been there done that on several occasions. I'm an IBS-C person. If you're on MFP, make sure you're logging your food and make notes on how you feel day-to-day. Print your diary out and take it to your next appointment. You may do an elimination diet, or they may suggest upping your fiber and/or water intake.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me, stomach problems are a physical manifestation of depression. I messed around with GI doctors for years before i realized i was treating a symptom not a cause. Hope u feel better.