Coming off ketogenic diet after 1 year ?

Options
For the last year I have been doing a very very strict ketogenic diet. By strict I mean for literally over a year I have not cheated 1 time no fruit or starch or grains or "holiday " treats absolutely nothing. I was loosing nicely untill just before Christmas. I noticed for weeks I was not gaining or losing although nothing had changed sticking around 1500 Calories. At least 75-80% fat 10-15% protein and the rest carbs. No more than 20 total carbs ( I don't trust the net carb bull*hit) mostly from almond flour, veggies and lactose carbs in cheeses. Since January 1st I have gone from 155-167 and gained several inches all over. I have not changed a single thing food wise. I figured I needed more food perhaps and increased this week to see if I needed more calories for to active lifestyle and rapidly gained an additional 5.5 lbs. I'm panicking because since feb 2012 I have went from over 350+ lbs to this I have fought every step if the way and now I'm gaining back. I started increasing my cardio and resistance training and have continued to gain. My body fat has increased 2.5% his month and since my last weigh in gained several Inches all over.

I am thinking low carb isn't working anymore and I need a change. My husband is transitioning to vegan and wants me to join him I am greatly concerned because a vegan diet is high in carbs as a general rule and I know the dreadful effects of those who quit low carb gaining massive amounts of weight regardless of how slow you come off.

Anyone experienced low carb to vegan switch?

Before anyone asks I am interftile so therefore no periods
When I say no cheats I literally mean NO cheat no cake for birthdays no fruit no cheat days period EVER
I workout 6 some times 7 days a week and mix of resistance and cardio(interval running and weights switching to Jillian michaels shred videos and workout ball ect ect)
I usually eat 1400-1600 calories daily strictly measured and premade my night before very specific and measured for accuracy.
I have tried lowering and increasing calories and no change in fact gaining
Body fat scale increasing and body inches bigger.

HELP

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    First step may be to stay low carb / high fat but step up the carbs slowly to 30 or 40g. You'll still be borderline ketogenic. You also have scope to increase the protein somewhat as 10-15% is at the bottom end. MFP's standard is now 20%.

The whole vegan thing is pointless from a weight loss perspective.

I would try a week at 1200 calories first though, to see what that does.
  • Deeness88
    Options
    In previous efforts eating 1200 calories is extremely difficult to keep calories low enough and fat high enough. I literally have to starve to death to keep my macros at the 80/15/5 mark or live off coconut oil and Konjac noodles.
    Whoever said keto diet doers loose appetite are full of baloney lol.
  • zaidat
    zaidat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your fat and upping you protein. I would also keep your calories the same. Do you lift?
  • Deeness88
    Options
    I'm worried about I reason protein because your body likes to use what is easiest to turn into useable energy and protein is easier than fat to use and therefore my body would use protein instead of my fat resulting in improper ketogenic cycling. I do lift 5-6 days a
    Week now have for about a week I was just doing low weight and lots o f reps with no results now staring heavier. Started another fat fast see if it gets the pounds back off. Sorta at wit send these days and feel like crap.
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    I follow Maria Emmerich's way of eating. Check out her blog. http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/ she also usually says if you aren't losing, drop the dairy. she's a huge advocate for ketogenic lifestyle. Good luck!
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    About ten years ago I was on the low carb diet and switched for health reasons to vegan diet. I actually lost 10 pounds and I worked out heavily like you. I found that it streamlined my body but also like you I didn't eat alot of junk and processed foods like some vegans/vegetarians allow. I ate whole foods and ate mainly veggies and when I had grains I ate a handful a day (measuring as dry). I had to stop later on because I was diagnosed with some other health issues that restricted my already restricted diet even more (this was unrelated to the vegan diet btw the symptoms just became more pronounced while on the vegan diet).

I say go for it and just continue to eat high protein in veggie form. Finding a good nutrition book on veganism would really help. Also, veggies are lower in calories but once you start adding processed "vegan" foods you need to watch the calories and sugars that are added so they taste like meat. Kind of like the gluten free food products that replace whole grains but are more calories.

Overall, it was great for my health but I had to stop the diet and still struggle like you with exercising, eating right, and gaining for no apparent reason. But I think I'm older than you and I have had a hysterectomy due to health issues. This may have slowed things down for me as well.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you!