Having some issues meeting Calories...

2»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    I understand issues for diabetics are different than most but opting for things like multi grain breads (eat within reason), wild rice, beans, eggs, protein, etc should help you up your calories - I don't understand the dairy? does that have sugar? I need to go check that. Nuts are good - you can have carbs try to eat complex carbs not your overprocessed white breads and pastas. Smaller portions also will help - I can actually be satisfied with 1/4 cup of cooked rice when it's paired with a good protein and lots of veg.
  • scuba8781
    scuba8781 Posts: 5 Member
    Try this recipe. It's full of healthy fats and nutrients. I make this recipe as defined, but cut it into 16 bars. One of my bars is about 330 calories. I usually have one at night after I enter my calories and find I'm short. It's also delicious. I started eating this after someone else here on MFP posted it.

http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/raw-hemp-and-chia-seed-bars/
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    Try this site out - it doesn't seem there are a lot of sugars in dairy >>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    What about almond butter on a couple of slices of Ryvita?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    im having this same issue ! cant pass 800

sure you can or you wouldn't be trying to lose almost 50lbs.

I mean people come on...I understand a pre diabetic avoiding sugars etc but there are many other options out there like butter on popcorn...cooking with olive oil along with lots of other suggestions.

As one poster said stop eating diet food...are you going to live the rest of your life on salads and non fat this and non fat that...no so don't lose weight that way.

the only time I resort to it (because I don't have issues hitting my 1600) is when I want to save calories for my chocolate later...

Such as non fat greek yogurt or low fat cheese or skim milk..but that's about it.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Eat more fats and protein. When I first started it was a struggle to get to 1500 because I felt like I was constantly shoving food in me. You may need to start eating more often to hit the calorie goals. After a few weeks hitting the right amounts, you should have a better understanding of what to add here and there. If you need to avoid certain carbs for health reasons, don't skimp on the other macro nutrients. Coconut oil is great to add to a veggie stir fry and there are lots of ways to get extra protein in.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Eat more fats and protein. When I first started it was a struggle to get to 1500 because I felt like I was constantly shoving food in me. You may need to start eating more often to hit the calorie goals. After a few weeks hitting the right amounts, you should have a better understanding of what to add here and there. If you need to avoid certain carbs for health reasons, don't skimp on the other macro nutrients. Coconut oil is great to add to a veggie stir fry and there are lots of ways to get extra protein in.

Excellent advice. I will add that MFP breaks the macros down with a big bias towards carbs. I early eat more than 100g of carb per day, the bulk of my intake is good protein and good fat. I am never hungry; no insulin spikes.
    Diabetic chocolate and any other diabetic labels foods should be shoved up the moron that thought of the concept. Food is food. Change your macro balance away from carbs and you will be fine. I train six days per week for about 90 minutes per session with a 100g carb maximum, I don't eat any wheat and certainly no pasta. Pasta will only give you calories, much better food out there with some nutrients in it. Carbs from, veg, some fruit, potatoes, some oats and some rice.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    I also struggled with getting enough calories when I first transitioned from crash diets to TDEE-%. I have a history of ED & it's like my brain was fixed on this "all-or-nothing" / "feast or famine" mindset. I am breastfeeding, which makes my daily calorie allotment particularly high (just over 1900) & I also made it a goal to eat more nutrient dense foods, many of which just so happen to have fewer calories. It took me about a week of feeling like I was *always* eating & really struggling to balance my macros before my body adjusted, I found protein sources I enjoy & I started to feel normal... but now I love it! I have more energy, I'm happier & I'm still able to enjoy steady weight loss :-)