All solids should be weighed.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    ice cream gnomes
  • sandst101
    sandst101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I am seriously addicted to ice cream, and this is the toughest thing for me to control. It is usually my reward at the end of a long day while I sit with my husband and catch up on our favorite shows. I used to eat a huge bowl every night. I recently discovered single-serve York Peppermint ice cream patties with low-fat ice cream, and they are really helping! It is almost as satisfying as that big bowl. A real treat. It cut my end of day calories by more than half.
  • polymathaspirant
    polymathaspirant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Aww. No point crying over eaten ice-cream. Next time, go for a walk first. Don't buy ice-cream. Swap for no sugar added greek yogurt, add pureed fruit, mix, freeze and treat yourself post walk/run.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My ability to self-delude with serving sizes is astonishing. Hence one of the big reasons I failed to maintain my weight so many times in the past. I love my digital scale and I hate it. I love it for keeping me honest and on track. I hate it cause almost every time I see what a serving size really is I want to scream, "SERIOUSLY??"

So yeah, a scale. Measuring cups are fine for some things but nothing that can be "packed in," those things you want to put on a scale.

With the kind I have I turn it on, put the measuring dish or cup or whatever on it, hit the "on" button again which subtracts the weight of the dish so it goes back down to zero, then add the food.

As for having eaten more than you thought you did, just carry on from today forward, don't freak out and overly restrict your calories to compensate. You'll be fine.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Slow churned gets some of its fat and calorie savings from the air that is incorporated (it gets it's texture from including air rather than fat...oh, don't get me started) so it's almost impossible not to have it settle some when kept at the generally colder home freezer temps and very easy to pack it. To even try to measure volume without packing, you would want to let it soften just a bit, but not so much that it loses the air. You migth actually find it easier to pick a healthy standard ice cream and eat smaller portions.

Oh, and seriously consider moving out. even if you have to get 4 roommates. It's cheaper than therapy later.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can track calories daily... or weekly.. or monthly. Calories can actually carry over. But I wouldn't suggest restricting yourself and doing anything like having close to no carbs the next day to balance it out (I did this in the past). You'll form a poor relationship with food and start a binge & restrict cycle.

We all have off days (I've had more than I like to admit). What's done is done. Move on and be better than you were yesterday.
  • RissyChris
    Options
    RissyChris how are you and your family doing? How does your sister deal with it??

uh not good but i'm more focused on maintaining my weight in this forum than having the topic of my abusive parents creep into and spoil another facet of my life
  • RissyChris
    Options
    You can track calories daily... or weekly.. or monthly. Calories can actually carry over. But I wouldn't suggest restricting yourself and doing anything like having close to no carbs the next day to balance it out (I did this in the past). You'll form a poor relationship with food and start a binge & restrict cycle.

We all have off days (I've had more than I like to admit). What's done is done. Move on and be better than you were yesterday.

wait you mean carry over as in they build up until you reach 3500 and then you gain a pound? i understand that. that's why i cut calories today
  • RissyChris
    Options
    Slow churned gets some of its fat and calorie savings from the air that is incorporated (it gets it's texture from including air rather than fat...oh, don't get me started) so it's almost impossible not to have it settle some when kept at the generally colder home freezer temps and very easy to pack it. To even try to measure volume without packing, you would want to let it soften just a bit, but not so much that it loses the air. You migth actually find it easier to pick a healthy standard ice cream and eat smaller portions.

Oh, and seriously consider moving out. even if you have to get 4 roommates. It's cheaper than therapy later.

so are you saying some of the 'calories' they list and the 'servings of 12' are actually like 8 servings and less cals?
  • RissyChris
    Options
    you overpacked your "cup"

"cups" outside of baking are poor gauges of measurement

You need a digital food scale then weight that ice cream to the gram/ounce serving size

Yes u overpacked and therefore underestimated your caloric intake.

Digital food scale 15 - 30 bucks at walmart

8 bucks for a decent spring scale if you are really hurting.

This. I love my digital scale, loooooooooooooooove it. P.S. I have Schawn's connections :bigsmile:

to everyone who keeps talking about scales...PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING IT. as i said before i'm not allowed to have scales in the house or they get broken out of spite, even if i hide them.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm definitely avoiding that ice-cream it must be too good!!

That being said I binged all day instead of having a cheat meal like I planned so yeah new day tomorrow.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream addict. I buy 1 pint (4 servings) of full fat, full flavor cookies and cream once a week and share it with my hubby on Saturday night. It's a treat and I look forward too it all week and savor every bite.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I just ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's, and I don't feel bad at all! I'm just going to hit the gym HARD tomorrow! Easier to do that than worry about the food that is already gone.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream every night...and I weigh it. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest a scale.

If that's completely out, then just don't pack it down into your cup. It won't be as accurate, but it'll have to do if you're not able to get a scale.
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Great advice about your questions. It does make me think of a perplexing food label that I've noticed. Jello sugar free fat free cheesecake pudding comes in a box that says it is 28 grams. The nutrition information on the back is given for 4 servings, 8 grams each??? Makes me wonder every time how what's impossible passes the requirements for nutrition labeling. Maybe you might want to check and see if the package size matches up with the nutrition label serving size on your ice cream?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Also, buy a few ramekins, the small porcelain baking/serving cups. Even while measuring, mentally having the smaller cup makes a difference. A 1/2 or even 1 cup in a huge bowl doesn't look like a lot, but 1/2 cup in a ramekin mentally doesn't look as bad. At least I tell myself that.

This is a great suggestion. I have several ramekins plus some condiment cups (those metal ones you get at restaurants for condiments sometimes). Small plates, too. You won't feel deprived if you have a small bowl heaped up with ice cream--it looks like you're getting a lot. Downsize your dinnerware--it's a mental game but it works. But you still have to weight everything. No getting around that.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm actually usually pretty good about control. It's been over a year since I've started this whole journey and I have not once done something like this. As far as everyone mentioning the food scale...I do have one, I just don't understand how one would measure ice cream...I mean my cup that I put the ice cream in weighs something, so how would I gage it w/ice cream inside?
    um

put the cup on the scale then turn it on...put ice cream in...weigh the grams
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    you overpacked your "cup"

"cups" outside of baking are poor gauges of measurement

You need a digital food scale then weight that ice cream to the gram/ounce serving size

Yes u overpacked and therefore underestimated your caloric intake.

Digital food scale 15 - 30 bucks at walmart

8 bucks for a decent spring scale if you are really hurting.

This. I love my digital scale, loooooooooooooooove it. P.S. I have Schawn's connections :bigsmile:

to everyone who keeps talking about scales...PLEASE STOP SUGGESTING IT. as i said before i'm not allowed to have scales in the house or they get broken out of spite, even if i hide them.
    huh?