Does cardio really suck for fat loss?

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 hours on a treadmill...shoot me now! I hated cardio until I discovered cycling.

>>>Keep searching.<<<

Ultimately I did a mix of cardio and weights (I find weights to be mind-numbingly boring too, but being fat is worse so I do it). The weight lifting purists won't like this, nor will the cardio purists...but they will probably all agree that it was better to do what I do than nothing at all.

I agree with this completely! I never got into cardio, but then I started doing an annual stair climbing event. It gave me a goal. Last year, I climbed 54 flights of stairs in 12 minutes. Not bad for a woman who is 50 plus who couldn't run around the block 5 years ago.

I do the elliptical trainer and the high intensity programs and I'm done in 20 minutes per session, then onto weights and stretching.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is why contributes to weight loss not specific exercises. Exercise is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss

Just not true. Any exercise burns calories and therefore leads to weight loss. It also leads to increased fitness. Anything which contributes to a defecit helps.

Well the previous poster had it right, you don't need to do a single minute of exercise to lose weight, its all down to calorie deficit which can be achieved through diet alone.

Now a different matter altogether exercise in any form is benificial to your body but not needed for pure weight loss.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Aside from being beneficial to your cardiovascular health, doing cardio only puts you in a calorie deficit. You can achieve weight loss without doing any cardio by simply eating in a calorie deficit (consistently). I've personally seen and worked with a few clients that in the past, did nothing but cardio whenever they were in the gym. Despite losing weight, they were still "skinny fat".

If your goal is to lose fat and gain some muscle, I would suggest keeping cardio to a bare minimum and incorporating weight training into your regimen--especially if you're a female. You won't get "bulky" like the guys because you don't naturally have enough testosterone.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You don't have to do cardio to lose weight, however , I find for me that as long as I keep tracking my food intake, the times of the year that I do regular cardio are usually my leanest.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is why contributes to weight loss not specific exercises. Exercise is for fitness. Diet is for weight loss
    This.

I LOVE my runs 3 days a week. I do heavy lifting the other 3 days, and nothing one day. I do cardio a WL because it makes me feel good. I don't do it for weight loss.

Do what you like doing. Exercise is not a must for weight loss but it is for toning and endurance.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Just not true. Any exercise burns calories and therefore leads to weight loss. It also leads to increased fitness. Anything which contributes to a defecit helps.
    Yes it is. All that is required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. The proof is in the people who lose weight without exercise.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you hate cardio so much, stop doing it. Find something you love and do that.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Yes it is. All that is required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. The proof is in the people who lose weight without exercise.

Yes but they're saying that exercises INCREASES your caloric deficit therefore aiding weight loss...
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Reading comprehension would help here.

I was disagreeing with his statemement that exercise is not for weight loss. It is and can be. More than eating less can cause the needed deficit, one of those things being exercise. Exercise uses calories. Its not difficult to understand what I meant, just easier to misunderstand i guess. Maybe thats my fault? Possibly my bad explanation?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you call cardio.

I could have you doing barbell complexes, kettlebell snatches and hill sprints a couple of times a week and if your diet was in order you'd look pretty rad eventually with nothing else required.

You could also go for a couple of nice walks a week, get your diet in order and you'd lose fat.

You could go to muay thai or boxing or krav maga three times a week and as long as...

You could run a 5x5 routine...

You could do a 5 day bro-split...

You could train for a tri...

There's a million ways to get lean. Lifting is one. Circuit training is another. Martial arts. Go for a nice bike ride a couple of times a week. Enter a 10k and raise some cash for the local Children's hospice. Whatever.

Seems like around here unless you're kissing the ringer of the god of heavy lifting or training for a marathon then you're not getting "results". Just do something you'll enjoy, and will therefore stick with, and get your diet in order.
  • xRedHeaterx
    xRedHeaterx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It sounds like pretty much everyone is in agreement. Its possible to lose weight without exercise by having a calorie deficit. I find I can do some cardio without really eating any or much more that day, which makes it easier for me to set up that calorie deficit.

I feel that I do best when I incorporate both weight training and some cardio in my regime, as well as carefully tracking calories. This is an unbeatable combination. I wouldn't personally go to the gym just to do cardio, but I have started doing some after my weight training and it seems to be working. I also go for long walks and walk/runs outside when I can between gym visits. I believe low intensity is good as well as HIIT, although the jury is still out on the relative benefits. For somebody that is reasonably fit most seem to suggest it is the optimal way to go. I do lower intensity though!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No kind of exercise sucks for fat loss. However, both cardio and lifting have their merits. After reading all of the posts of those who hate cardio, I've come to the conclusion that I would hate it too, if I was using machines at a gym. I think I would feel like a hamster on a wheel in a pet store window. For me, I have to be outdoors. I have to vary my routes. I want to see things, go from point a to point b. Maybe you need to change it up. Maybe try some bicycling. We are lucky to have lots of trails, parks, and outdoor shopping areas so I never get bored.
  • Janay333
    Janay333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    \
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Totally agree...if what you are doing for cardio is something you hate, then find something else you like.....there are many, many options for cardio.
  • nineteenstars
    nineteenstars Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Totally agree...if what you are doing for cardio is something you hate, then find something else you like.....there are many, many options for cardio.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've never done cardio for weight loss, I do it to improve my cardiovascular capacity and overall stamina.

With a better cardio capacity and greater stamina, I'm the one who takes the stairs, doesn't mind walking a mile to get the grocery item I forgot, thinks nothing of going out to the park and playing basketball with our son at the end of the work day.

All that movement I do because I'm cardio fit, contributes to my ability to lose weight and keep it off.

IMHO, fitness is for your life, not just your body.

A million times this.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If you are finding your cardio routine boring than DO SOMETHING ELSE.

Doing exercise you find boring is just a form of torture. Make it interesting or find other forms of exercise you actually enjoy.

I did dancing for one year, great exercise and extremely enjoyable.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is king! I use to hate it but I got into running and now love it. I like being out and seeing things. I put my headphones on and hit the street. Not the gospel here but it really put me on target. People say how did you do it and I say running. Counting what I eat is a big part too but the exercise pit me over the top. Find what works, I hate machines to.
  • tammikirkland
    tammikirkland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Most of my workout is cardio, but I also use weights. When I first started I did 15 to 20 minutes per machine. I did do a huge diet change. I hated cardio also. I take pictures every 4 weeks. I take measurements every 2 weeks. As I see my results, I have decided I love cardio and can't wait to hit the gym. My start weight was 226 pounds. I have lost 27 pounds since January 1,2014. I feel 100% healthier than I did 3 months ago. I think it's a combination of all 3. Good look finding what you like.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

weight loss yes but fat loss is a different beast.

To lose only fat you need resistence training and enough protien to maintain current LBM.

ETA: overall this statement is correct tho...exercise is fine but you can't out exercise a bad diet...

As for the OP I agree Cardio for the sake of exercise is torture..I don't do it for exercise.

I do weights 3x a week and HIIT 2x a week and no my HIIT is not running...it's bodyweight stuff..ie lunges, jumping jacks, burpees, etc.

If you want fat loss, lift weights, eat enough protien and eat at a reasonable deficet...I have lost over 8% BF in less than a year...along with 18.5inches...and a net of 14lbs...(gross of 20lbs)...all through resistence training..

And to top it all off...95% of that 20lbs has been fat not muscle.