Increasing protein in oatmeal

Options
sjbtiger
sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
In the breakfast topic, people were talking about adding things to oatmeal to increase protein. If you do this, what specifically do you add?

And to complicate things, I am not much of a nut fan.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I add oat bran, nonfat dried milk, chia seed & ground flax seed:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets
  • An easy fix is adding milk instead of water into your oatmeal!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese or Greek yoghurt instead of water or milk.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to, you could add some nuts to your oatmeal.

But why would you want to increase the protein in oatmeal!?!?!?!? Oatmeal already has tons of protein! I add fruit to my oatmeal to DECREASE the total protein in the meal.
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    I make it with milk (tastes better too!), and sometimes I'll add protein powder (french vanilla or chocolate), peanut butter, or chia seeds. I also like to make overnight oatmeal with milk and greek yogurt which is great for protein.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. I either use a vanilla flavored one and add bananas (and berries, sometimes), or peanut butter flavored one and add a banana.

Oatmeal already has tons of protein!
    :huh:
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    chia seeds
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options

But why would you want to increase the protein in oatmeal!?!?!?!? Oatmeal already has tons of protein! I add fruit to my oatmeal to DECREASE the total protein in the meal.

Adding fruit won't decrease the protein, it will just add carbs. The amount of protein will be the same as it was before adding fruit...
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    you could make it with milk. you can have some cottage cheese, yogurt, hard-boiled egg, turkey sausage in addition to your oatmeal without adding more protein actually to it
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy but I love cottage cheese in oatmeal. Yum! Adds protein and creaminess.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

What kind of oatmeal do you buy that has "tons" of protein? :huh:

OP, I mix in protein powder. I usually use vanilla with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Yummy, and extra protein.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Quote "If you wanted to, you could add some nuts to your oatmeal.

But why would you want to increase the protein in oatmeal!?!?!?!? Oatmeal already has tons of protein! I add fruit to my oatmeal to DECREASE the total protein in the meal."

How are you decreasing the amount of protein? You can't decrease what's already there just by adding something else. All you are adding is what is in the fruit? And why would you want to decrease it anyway?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I mix a scoop of protein powder to the dry oatmeal, then cook it. It seems to come out better that way. Adding the protein after cooking the oatmeal usually ends with lumps. I also found that adding some Greek yogurt to cooked oatmeal is very yummy, creamy, and filling. A spoonful of PB2 is also good, but you don't like nuts:(
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I put PB2 in mine...the one with cocoa. Yummy. I tried adding protein powder but didn't like the texture.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Adding fruit won't decrease the protein, it will just add carbs. The amount of protein will be the same as it was before adding fruit...
    Total protein percentage.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    my mum uses whey powder... some will taste good and some wont... getting samples is the best way to go (if possible).. see which one tastes good with oats

I remember mixing strawberry and chocolate ON whey to simulate the best part of neopolitan ice cream.. that was an epic fail... dont assume things will taste good
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I usually add protein powder to my oatmeal. I used to always add chocolate and some PB2 which was amazing then I ordered Cinnabon flavored protein powder and it is a win....tastes amazing!!!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have made my oatmeal using Muscle Milk Light (vanilla flavor) instead of water. It turns out very creamy.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Beat an egg into the liquid before cooking it. You could add ham or cheese too. I add ground flax for good fat peanut butter for taste and cinnamon because it makes it seem safe.
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    add eggwhites!