I am so hungry today

Options
My diary is open, please take a look. I picked up a protein packet at lunch today (pb, melba toast, hard boiled egg etc) thinking it would help.

I am drinking my water, and not as much coffee. I am thinking that may be part of it, by now I would usually have had 3-4 large coffees, instead I have had one, and water.

Please, don't be cynical. If you don't have something helpful to say, don't say it. I don't need to be criticised. I am new, and I am trying so I am not perfect, but instead of going out and engorging myself, I want some helpful advice.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Christinelmt78
    Options
    I go through this during the time I ovulate or I'm getting close to start my period.. It's not every month sometimes every other that I'm starving, can't get enough to eat and nothing will fill me up.. It has to do with the hormone surges your body goes through during this time.. I hope this helps.. It's very frustrating at times..
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    That kind of makes sense, I am about a week away. Sigh. Thank you :)
  • Christinelmt78
    Options
    No problem and yes about a week out is when it starts for me.. But I read somewhere ( don't shoot the messenger lol ) that your body actually burns extra calories during this time.. I will have to research that more, it would be nice
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi....congrats on being here! I hear you, sometimes I am really hungry and then I have days where I am fine...I find it's really important to have enough protein and when I eat a good balance of protein and carbs together, I am full for a long time! Good luck, I have only been at this for a month and am still learning myself.

Also remember it takes awhile to change.....at first I was hungry all of the time lol. It gets easier and you get used to eating less but being satisfied with that.

Do you like nuts? (plain almonds are great for a quick little snack)!!
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have days like this too. I try to wait as long as possible after my meal (say lunch) to eat a snack because I may not actually be as hungry as I thought. I will drink a big thing of water and then wait a bit. If i'm still hungry (or starving in my ming :wink: ) I will grab a protein bar or a granola bar or something like that. It happened a lot when I was just starting to lift and work out more but now it doesn't happen as often. Your body is trying to regulate to your new lifestyle as well. Keep up the good work!
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    So, I'm just going to tell you what worked for me.

For whatever its worth, I've 99% eliminated feeling starving or really having a lot of hunger pangs throughout the day going low carb. And I'm losing fat.

Again, for whatever its worth.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Try eating back at least half of your exercise calories. You left 740 calories uneaten yesteday - of course you're hungry today! The body does not have a reset button at midnight. If you undereat one day, you can overeat the next and it will all average out and you'll still lose weight.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have days like this aswell. Infact i have a whole week like this every month. We have one meal where I can say "ok I need pms chinese" and we get it as our cheat meal that week even if its not the weekend.I did low carb and I was still like this its def a hormonal thing. By allowing myself one cheat meal I know i can have it but once i have it its back to healthy snacks for the rest of the week ect to curb it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try eating back at least half of your exercise calories. You left 740 calories uneaten yesteday - of course you're hungry today! The body does not have a reset button at midnight. If you undereat one day, you can overeat the next and it will all average out and you'll still lose weight.

This
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. but I used to listen to Dr. Drew on love line and I heard him once say, if you aren't hungry you aren't losing weight. I'm hungry now and just know I'm losing weight sitting here being hungry. lol.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options

This! You might be doing your body a disservice because you aren't eating enough. When you don't eat back at least 1/2 your exercise calories then you run the risk of a binge in the future. Your body is telling you that it needs more fuel (hunger). It could be a combination of not eating enough and PMS. But I still feel from diary review and what's worked for me, that it's more the not eating enough.

Best and easiest way to get that is a piece of fruit (apples are good) and a serving size of nuts. Peanut Butter and Celery, or Apples works well too. You don't need to eat "more" just eat more calories. I keep trying to show you a pairing because it's needed. The fruit or veggie (they're carbs) for the quick burn (fuel) and then protein/fat for the longer burn (or delayed fuel). Cheese and crackers would work too but those are a bit more refined than I like to suggest for good hunger satisfying snacks.

I hope that helps and that you do listen to the advice of eating back half the exercise calories. It really helps in the weight loss journey.
  • bobbiejof33
    Options

Some people say eat your exercise, some say don't, so I am always afraid to do it
  • bobbiejof33
    Options

Best and easiest way to get that is a piece of fruit (apples are good) and a serving size of nuts. Peanut Butter and Celery, or Apples works well too. You don't need to eat "more" just eat more calories. I keep trying to show you a pairing because it's needed. The fruit or veggie (they're carbs) for the quick burn (fuel) and then protein/fat for the longer burn (or delayed fuel). Cheese and crackers would work too but those are a bit more refined than I like to suggest for good hunger satisfying snacks.

I hope that helps and that you do listen to the advice of eating back half the exercise calories. It really helps in the weight loss journey.

Thank you, I will try the celery and peanut butter this week :) I love pb and the crunch from celery!!! Thank you!
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    I know how you feel. but I used to listen to Dr. Drew on love line and I heard him once say, if you aren't hungry you aren't losing weight. I'm hungry now and just know I'm losing weight sitting here being hungry. lol.

Yup, I keep thinking that too! Which is why eating back exercise calories is SO hard to do :) Thank you
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replys, They really help.

I have heard so many different opinions on eating vs not eating your exercise calories. Mine are quite high, and one day I think it said I had a whooping 450 cals for the day. WHAT? So I will try eating half my calories back and see if that helps :) Thank you so much everyone :)
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would think most that say they don't eat back exercise calories are using the TDEE method which already counts in their average calories burned through exercise in their daily calorie goal. MFP does not do that it expects you to eat back at least a portion of those calories.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know what I do when the munchies strike. I find things that are have little or no calories and I fill up on them like cucumbers, pickles, tomatoes or sugar free popsicles at 15 calories, etc.
  • lashylashla
    Options
    I too experience the ovulation munchies...
  • Finkerbell
    Finkerbell Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat like every 2 hours. 200-300 cals. It really helps. Love peanut butter and celery/carrots. I try to get a lot of protein.
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I know for me, that if I ate that many refined carbs, I would want more, More, MORE! Cutting back on my carbs and balancing my macros has helped me stabilize my blood sugar and hunger, too. You may actually need more nutrition, too, from foods that are more living that what you're eating. I know when I upgraded the nutritional value of my food, I no longer struggled with being hungry. Though, there's always those "hungry days", but those are few and far between for me now.

If you're ravenous, a hard-boiled egg (protein and fat) can help satisfy. Good luck to you! Tomorrow is a fresh new day, you can do it!