When to Take Breaks?

Options
hey all.. just looking for some advice.

recently I decided to start getting active, but I'm not 100% if i should jut jump right in and get extremely active or ease myself into it. As it is, I'm quite active from my job. I push carts at what people tell me is supposed to be the busiest Sobeys in Atlantic Canada (Clayton Park, Halifax) which involves quite a bit of physical work, and I'm walking almost constantly throughout my shifts that are an average of 6 hours.

anyways, me and my GF have been going for 2 runs a week, and 2 swims a week, and doing things like stingers, stutter steps, crunches, etc before one of our swims. The past few days I've been sore, specifically in the backs of my upper legs, my groin, and just underneath my butt. Crouching down feels terrible. lol. I'm just wondering if I should tough through this, take a break for a few days, cut back my routine and ease myself into it, or what? any advice would be awesome!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You're already active at work so you have a good head start, but you do need to ease into things, especially if you're as sore as you say. Maybe instead of the other exercises you're doing before swimming, just stretch. And of course, stretch before running too. Once you're used to the running and swimming then you can add in more.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are pissed because you're using them pretty much. Just keep doing what you're doing, remember to stretch and warm up and you'll get through it. Unless you get to where you can't walk, don't 'take a break'. The only way your muscles respond is when they're asked to do something and they'll get used to what you're asking of them with a little bit of time. You can not underestimate the importance of warming your muscles up and stretching them. Otherwise, keep it up.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am SO not a doctor but what you're describing sound like muscle aches and not joint or bone pain. I personally tough through it because the soreness goes away as you get more used to it. They are the same aches I get after a really great and intense workout. You could try spacing out your workouts more, stretching a lot more, or easing in. If you're doing this for long term benefits, what's the rush? You can certainly ease in!!!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The past few days I've been sore, specifically in the backs of my upper legs, my groin, and just underneath my butt. Crouching down feels terrible. lol. I'm just wondering if I should tough through this, take a break for a few days, cut back my routine and ease myself into it, or what? any advice would be awesome!

i'm also sore as i type :grumble: . when i stand up from siting postion it hurts :frown: , when i go up the stairs it hurts:frown: when I walk i can feel every muscle toughen up:ohwell: . OY! stretching is very important. I did some serious cardio the past couple days so it makes sense but I will be doing yoga the rest of the week cuz that stretches me out like nothing else and it's very relaxing...when i'm done. :bigsmile: Keep up the good woork. Good luck to u and ur girl.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i say go right into it, but of course you need to know your limits. your muscles are going to feel sore when you start working out but if something doesn't feel right then take a break.

i started working out last monday and i went right into it. my body hated me for a few days but now the muscle soreness is gone!
  • jperry902
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys! me and the GF decided to make it an easy night tonight and just do some stuff on wii fit / wii sports lol. I guess we'll get back to the jogs/runs and swimming tomorrow.. I just wanted to make sure pushing through sore muscles wouldn't cause any damange!