Question when using a recumbent bike...

Options
Which is more important. Time or distance? I did 3 miles on my bike in 15 mins. i know they recommend doing some kind of exercise for 30 mins a day but if im getting in 3 miles in 15 mins does it matter?

Replies

• Christinelmt78
    Options
    I also have a recumbent bike and I love it.. Personally I go by time , the more time, the more calories.. I never really pay attention to distance.. That's just me though, hope this helps
  • Christinelmt78
    Options
    I also should add I go a decent pace, around 15.5-17.5
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Which is more important. Time or distance? I did 3 miles on my bike in 15 mins. i know they recommend doing some kind of exercise for 30 mins a day but if im getting in 3 miles in 15 mins does it matter?

Time usually trumps distance. Even in structured training programs for cyclists, it's all about the time and the intensity - not the distance.

Without knowing your HR, intensity (power watts), goals - if you are trying to get some cardio work - be it on a recumbent or an upright I would certainly suggest working your way up to 30 minutes (and longer). Experiment with your intensity and heart rate to get the most bang for your buck.
  • jessydelong
    jessydelong Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! I really love my bike! I want to be able to do it for longer. my legs were on fire in just 15 mins. ill def work my way up to longer
    :smile:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! I really love my bike! I want to be able to do it for longer. my legs were on fire in just 15 mins. ill def work my way up to longer
    :smile:

If your legs were on fire, dial down the intensity (shift into an easier gear), slow down a bit and you will be able to increase your duration quite easily. As with anything, it takes time to build up the stamina - so be patient.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised how quickly you get used to biking. When I first got my trainer, I also thought I was going to die after about 10 minutes! Now I can do an hour plus with no problems. I bumped up the time by 10 minutes each week. Good luck to you!