Weight lifting for women... Help?

Options
I have always believed that I couldn't lift heavy weights because I will bulk up and build a bunch of muscle. After joining mfp I see that this is completely untrue! I've seen success stories where women look amazing and it's all from heavy lifting! My husband lifts and he said he would help me learn... But he is one of the ones that told me not to lift heavy in the first place. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner? Obviously I want to do this the right way without injuring myself, so any advice would be appreciated. I have no idea how much weight to start with or what kinds of lifts.
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It says that lifting heavy won't bulk you up unless you become a power lifter. That being extreme weights.

I am also looking for beginners help, but haven't had much luck. I joined the New Rules group, but wasn't able to get much off that groups postings.

I'm still looking for someone local to help me get started, but most of the people I get an answer from say the same thing; start light. Which isn't what I talk to them about in the first place. <sigh>
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Basic resources like The New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 can help get you started.
    If you go with compound movements like in 5x5 your main concern is form. Once you get that down just
    follow the program.

You'll also want to make sure you have proper mobility, videos on the agile 8 or limber 11 can help with that.
    Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett is good for form and mobility ideas.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I started with Stronglifts. It's a pretty basic program with compound lifts. I am now doing Wendler's 5/3/1. I have many friends that also did New Rules and like that too.

I have a home gym, never lifted in my life before last year & just went slow. There are a lot of videos on you tube that will help you get the correct form. Mark Rippetoe has some very good ones that go into great detail.

There is also a group here on MFP (Eat, Train & Progress). Sara and Sidesteel answer questions and give advice on eating/training.

Good luck and have fun!

ETA: @ Chickee: When I started, I just used the empty bar to learn correct form. When someone says to start light - they are not blowing you off.. Your light is what you can comfortably lift keeping correct form. It's important because incorrect form is the recipe for injuries.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5... Got the app on my phone so it tells me exactly what to do and what weight. Loving it so far :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    One more add. You also need to always warm up correctly. This link saved me when I was doing Stronglifts. It also gives warm up reps for Starting Strength:

http://warmupreps.com/#

This is a good spreadsheet for warm ups/calculations for Wendler's:

http://www.strstd.com/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for 6months at home.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

this group has stickies that help a lot. As well if you want form check they are great with that too.

Other programs like NROLFW or SS do have books to read that you can purchase.

Get under the bar and practice. Watch videos on Youtube and ask you husband to watch your form.

If he still says don't lift heavy show him the threads of women who do...he will change his mind.

As well try these videos on Youtube...So you think you can squat and So you think you can Deadlift.
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have just started with a trainer. He is making sure my firm is good. Weight training session includes squats, Deadlifts and leg press other workout include kettle bell workouts and boxing. I am still not confident to do it by myself so if you can get some support from your hubby do it. I have being going up in 5-10 kg increments and looking to improve weight each week. I am finding the weight training really challenging but far more rewarding than cardio! I can see long term more weight training in my future!
  • ayyeecee
    ayyeecee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If by bulking up you mean getting lean and sexy than yes, it will bulk you up. :D

You will get smaller in some places bigger in others, the only way you would "Bulk up" and become manly looking is if you dedicated your life to bulking up by going through "bulk phase" and all that.

I'm sure your personal trainer has already told you to start eating more protein, and a few more carbs on days you lift, because you won't see any results eating at a deficit. Eat clean accordingly to how much exercise you get that day.
  • daisyflame22
    daisyflame22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saving for links and recommendations.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi, I bought the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It says that lifting heavy won't bulk you up unless you become a power lifter. That being extreme weights.

I am also looking for beginners help, but haven't had much luck. I joined the New Rules group, but wasn't able to get much off that groups postings.

I'm still looking for someone local to help me get started, but most of the people I get an answer from say the same thing; start light. Which isn't what I talk to them about in the first place. <sigh>

bolded- it will not make you bulk unless you eat at a calorie surplus- even if you power lift and you never eat at a surplus- you wont' bulk.

Starting strength- strong lifts- strong curves

are all good places to go if you find NROL complicated.

What are your questions specifically since you aren't getting the answers you are looking for from the group.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump