How can I get back on track after a long period of bingeing?

Options
I have a 14 pound weight gain. -.- Kinda going through a self-hate period now because of the weight gain. >.>

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    All you do is just do it. Get back on track now. Then you're back on track. Do it!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Most important of all—forgive yourself!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • John31TL
    John31TL Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rockmama
  • alibee88
    alibee88 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm quite a bad binger, but since I've been trying hard to sort my diet out, I've found that the best way to deal with it is just not to buy any larger portions of foods I like. So it might be cheaper to buy a 500g pot of tasty greek yogurt but if I'm going to just eat it all at once, I'd be better with a 150g portion at a time. I basically have to do that with all my foods.

If you haven't got it, you can't eat it.... While you're breaking the binging habit, you might find it best to plan out your foods and only buy exactly what you need.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Most important of all—forgive yourself!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Pbz7IGgs.jpg

We all go through the guilt (it's part of the cycle) but break it if you can because it feeds into the cycle and is counterproductive. Instead, use the energy to make and keep a resolution to change (this may mean counseling or a support group).

If it helps, I came upon this article several weeks ago. It does not excuse our bingeing behavior, but it might explain it somewhat. The paper is peer-reviewed and the reasearch is excellent. It links addiction behaviors (including food) to dopamine receptor decreases in the brain.

:flowerforyou:

Edited for spelling
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Re-find your motivation. Ask yourself why exactly you want to do this, and if you want it enough. Write it all down, re-find your passion for it!

And when you do, pass some my way! ;-)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can empathise totally as I did this in the past and gained 14Ibs also, over a two month period. I was bulimic at the time and binged almost constantly. Miracle I did not gain more. I had been slightly underweight anyway but it was still a nasty shock. My reaction was to jump into weight training alongside some HIIT and other cardio and turn the situation around. And I did. I did not lose much weight but I got my bodyfat down to 12-14% over some months and became less fearful of the higher scale number.

You have a choice now to make the most of your situation and jump back into a routine or wallow in self defeating emotions that simply lead you backwards into more binge eating and weight gain.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Same here, lost weight slipped & gained most back.
    My words of wisdom are simple: "New Day, New Beginning" in other words, "Take it one day at a time"

Good Luck to All of us! :happy:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Listen I do this sometimes where I gain weight but that's okay as long as I get back with it. The best thing to do is start fresh. I started January 2013 and I haven't been focused that whole time but just majority of the time and enough of the time to be down on the scale. A tip for me that helps is I don't always get on the scale when I start back up. I will say let me work really hard for a week and see where I am which helps me to work really hard for a week and then the number is quite as bad. You can do this just remember that!
  • Nimroth
    Nimroth Posts: 18
    Options
    Best way to stop bingeing is to eat at maintenance for a few days/weeks/maybe months. Don't aim for your deficit - you are struggling, you need to cut yourself some slack. Plan ahead - plan your meals, get your shopping in, don't buy stuff you know you'll be tempted by. Drink a LOT of water, forgive yourself and treat yourself gently. Identify your triggers and find ways to deal with them - mine are stress, anger and certain times of day. I notice I'm more likely to start going overboard at about 4pm, so I now have a big snack around 3.30pm. Don't aim for perfection - nobody is perfect, and eating something you didn't plan to doesn't mean that your whole day is screwed up - I used to fall for this all-or-nothing thinking but it doesn't have to be that way. Good luck :)