Sugar withdrawals

Options
Has anyone ever cut sugar out of their diet? I've just done 3 days without it and I'm doing well. I am still eating a bit of fruit but that's natural

Replies

• leviclampitt
    Options
    No, not completely at least.

For a lot of people, too much stress = too much sugar cravings.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a simple carbohydrate that is hard to avoid in our society. It seems to be hard wired into our brains. The first 72 hours are the hardest part but if you can get past that you will be okay with some will power. Remember to eat frequently to help keep full and eat fruit every now and then to satisfy the craving. Artificial sweeteners make it worse because it makes you crave more real sugar.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out sugar but significantly reduced it by not drinking soda (which was a huge portion of my sugar intake). It really sucked the first few weeks. I was constantly craving it... but I don't recall anything other than that. It's nice now though because things that I used to enjoy I don't anymore because they're too sweet. I think in our society, everyone's tastes have been trained to want things that are super sweet and I've overcome that, somewhat.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut it totally but considering i was drinking at least 4 liters of pepsi a day down to none a day or 8oz it's a big cut. I had headaches for a while but i'm doing okay so far.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I can say i've never counted my suger/carb intake. I will say that when I cut soda I had killer headaches which is why I picked up drinking coffee.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I've replaced soda with sugar free zero calorie monster drinks but the come down is rough.
  • klove724
    klove724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have. ..and it's no easy task. Sometimes things you t hink would NEVER have sugar in them do. ..but once you steer clear of processed. . .it becomes a little easier to control it. I focus on finding alternatives to sugary things i like.. . .frozen bananas with peanut butter.. .very similar to candy. . .freeze a banana blend it until it's creamy and put back in the freezer and it has the consistency of ice cream and not a very strong banana taste. . .

I did have withdrawals my first few days though .. .strong cravings, headache. . .i felt like i was about to get sick and then it just subsided after a couple of days. . .
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I did cut out sugar before and I'm trying again now. I find I get very crabby now when my blood sugar drops too low after being used to eating sugar. Eating fruit when this happens helps. Hopefully my body will adapt soon. If you really like sweet stuff maybe try stevia. It's great for making kool aid with! Best Wishes:)
  • roy7lorraine
    roy7lorraine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    good for you...that is awesome...I did once and it cut alot of fat from my stomach...I am having a hard time cutting down on sugar. How did you cut down?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've read that taking glutamine can help keep sugar cravings at bay. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth doing some research if you're struggling.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    No I have never done that and never will. I love sugar and anything sweet and know if I personally would ever do this is could never be a life style change but only last a short amount of time. I say good for you for doing it and best of luck to you!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    No but I'm not a huge sugar fan unless it's fruit or chocolate. But even if I was I would have processed sugars in moderation. Though natural sugars from things like fruit when ever I want really. I don't see a point in cutting it out completely. Good luck.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yes, best thing I did. To get through just really crank up the fat content the first couple of days.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    No, and I see no reason to do so
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have cut it out since I started a low carb diet on Jan 31st
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    other than fruit I have cut out sugar and by day 3 my body was ached and I had headaches (and was very cranky) rough days at work and no chocolate was soooo hard. However I cut out coffee too.
  • Dressdrive10
    Dressdrive10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do think it is a good idea to cut out sugar as much as possible and trying to do this really makes you focus on eating healthily.

It means that you really do have to cook your own food and meals from scratch, since so many companies tend to shove sugar in most processed food and ready made meals.

But sugar is like a drug isn't? And giving it up is almost like giving up smoking. Such a difficult thing to do.

Good on you for going for it!

I'm trying to do the same.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever cut sugar out of their diet? I've just done 3 days without it and I'm doing well. I am still eating a bit of fruit but that's natural
    So you're still eating sugar, but claiming you've gone 3 days without sugar? Seems legit.