Um. I just ate a tub of ice cream and need help

Options

Replies

• RissyChris
    Options
    I want to suggest something different: stop eating the ice cream. You say you've been eating it for three weeks now. Obviously you are not in control of your bingeing behavior when it comes to ice cream. THrow away any ice cream in your house right now, and don't buy more.

Otherwise, you will just go right on negotiating and measuring and bargaining with yourself and giving yourself "treats" and telling yourself you're "maintaining," but the bad habits will creep back on. Soon you won't be measuring.

Get over this bump in the road and MOVE ALONG your road to fitness, you will be much happier if you just get the monkey off your back! Good luck!

go back and read comprehensively and then tell me why your advice makes no sense in this situation. i'm not explaining myself again.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a method that works for them. For some people, it is no sweets, for some they can have it in moderation. I didn't do a whole lot of reading the last 5 pages but just because someone mis-measured does not mean they have a binging problem or because they eat sweets everyday that they are going to gain so much weight. While that might be true for some, it is not in this case.

I still eat sweets (ice cream and candy) every day because I want to be able to live my life and know that I can have them and end my negative thought process with food. Probably makes me a bad person, but I have manged to maintain for over a year and started recently losing again (stupid illnesses) and I am okay with mixing it in with my diet. Do I eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? No, but I do eat a little everyday, and it makes me proud that I went from eating 2 to 3 bowls of ice cream a day down to 1 cup a day.
  • ddeal26
    ddeal26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are no mistakes in tomorrow
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I want to suggest something different: stop eating the ice cream. You say you've been eating it for three weeks now. Obviously you are not in control of your bingeing behavior when it comes to ice cream. THrow away any ice cream in your house right now, and don't buy more.

Otherwise, you will just go right on negotiating and measuring and bargaining with yourself and giving yourself "treats" and telling yourself you're "maintaining," but the bad habits will creep back on. Soon you won't be measuring.

Get over this bump in the road and MOVE ALONG your road to fitness, you will be much happier if you just get the monkey off your back! Good luck!
    no, thats all I got ...
  • Foulque
    Foulque Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it's of any consolation, I've been making the mistake of measuring ice cream in cup measures for the last while too. Normally I weigh things but the serving size given on my brand is "1/2 cup (125 ml)" - presumably direct from the Department of the Bleeding Obvious. So I'm not sure what I can do to convert that into a more accurate serving by weight but I certainly have been packing that stuff hard into the cups so really need to dial back on that. In retrospect the huge container did empty out surprisingly fast although it isn't only me eating it and I'm the only one 'measuring' my servings from it so I can't be sure how much damage I've done to myself.

Don't worry about these people telling you that you're some sort of out of control junk addict for eating things you enjoy. This was an honest mistake and I'm sure many will have made a similar error while completely ignoring the fact that the container didn't add up to the expected number of servings, or indeed perhaps noticing but not bothering to question it. You seem to be switched on, you're logging and monitoring and you're not in denial, and that is what counts.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of oatmeal a la mode, but it sounds like a bad idea.

I try to save all treats for after dinner/bedtime snack. But sometimes I slip up. We all do. Put it behind you.
  • Foulque
    Foulque Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it's of any consolation, I've been making the mistake of measuring ice cream in cup measures for the last while too. Normally I weigh things but the serving size given on my brand is "1/2 cup (125 ml)" - presumably direct from the Department of the Bleeding Obvious. So I'm not sure what I can do to convert that into a more accurate serving by weight but I certainly have been packing that stuff hard into the cups so really need to dial back on that. In retrospect the huge container did empty out surprisingly fast although it isn't only me eating it and I'm the only one 'measuring' my servings from it so I can't be sure how much damage I've done to myself.
    Quoting self to say I figured it out.

Weigh empty container. Weigh full container. Divide difference by container volume and multiply by serving size. That is the serving size in grams. Of course it can't be exactly perfect unless you check the stated container volume is perfectly accurate but it's a darn sight closer than ramming some ice cream in a cup measure. I have been eating just under 1.5 serving every time I 'measured' one serving. There goes my diary for the last week. Lesson learned!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Quoting self to say I figured it out.

Weigh empty container. Weigh full container. Divide difference by container volume and multiply by serving size. That is the serving size in grams. Of course it can't be exactly perfect unless you check the stated container volume is perfectly accurate but it's a darn sight closer than ramming some ice cream in a cup measure. I have been eating just under 1.5 serving every time I 'measured' one serving. There goes my diary for the last week. Lesson learned!

1 mL of water weighs 1 gram. I usually just weigh whatever it is the same way. It is probably closer with this than trusting the company who loaded the product to actually give you the correct weight to the slightest gram.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

1 mL of water weighs 1 gram. I usually just weigh whatever it is the same way. It is probably closer with this than trusting the company who loaded the product to actually give you the correct weight to the slightest gram.

This works for almost all liquids but ice cream has lots of air incorporated, you'd have to melt it first to be accurate. The empty/full container-weighing system works well, but you need an empty container first - I can usually manage that :happy:
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't eat ice cream every day, but I keep a container of Unreal chocolate candies (basically "organic" M&Ms) in my desk drawer. When I get those middle-of-the-day cravings, I count out 12 or 25 of them (50 or 100 calories) and enjoy a moment of chocolate bliss. If someone said I have to give up the one thing that gives me a bit of pleasure each day, I'd probably feel like the OP, too. I fit it in to my otherwise pretty healthy and balanced diet. Though technically I should weight them, I don't. If I'm one M&M over for 50 calories, not going to worry about it.

My point is the OP says she's eating well and logging/measuring portions. Good for her. If she can get a new scale and hide it from her dad so he doesn't bust it up, great. Weighing portions is far more accurate than measuring, we all agree with that. But I think the OP's dad may be more of the challenge here than her nightly escape with a small cup of ice cream.

My heart goes out to you because I can hear the "I feel so trapped" in your posts. I hope that you find the inner personal strength to deal with your family and support from the outside to help you heal and move on. There is a solution to this--you have to search (and possibly search hard) to find it. Don't give up.:heart:
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the advice to get a food scale. ALL solid foods should be measured with one.

Just a side note - while ice cream is an awesome treat, it seems like you may have a problem with self control with it. I was that way when I first started changing my eating habits. Moderation is the most important skill you will learn here. Long term it may mean the difference between success and failure.

good luck.
    I agree, get a food scale and keep to portion sizes. Nothing is off limits, so enjoy everything you like in moderation.
  • Annabel193
    Options
    Since you can't get a scale the best option here just seems to be to forget and move on. You know what your mistake was so in future you can use it to learn from.

Today I've spent like ALL day sat about on the sofa, I ate pizza and now I'm drinking beer. I know it's bad but I've had an insanely good week so tomorrow I'll get back to exercising and eating well. You need to do the same :) Don't obsess because that's when you'll start develop a bad relationship with food which won't help anything.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
  • Kevvboy
    Options
    The name of your topic is "Um. I just ate a tub of ice cream and need help." I took those words literally. That sounds to me like someone who ate too much ice cream and needs help. But maybe it's just me. Everyone seems very eager that you go right on eating the ice cream that is torturing you - and if that is your choice and it works for you, great! I was trying a different suggestion since none of the other suggestions seemed to please the diarist..
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Thanks for that idea. If I buy the same brand, that should work really well! For what it's worth, the ice cream I usually buy does NOT have serving size in grams so I've always struggled with a serving size of ice cream as well, trying not to pack too much.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Log nine and move on. Don't over obsess on stuff like that. It happened, can't be changed, the world's not ending, period.

This. One bad day won't kill your success, just like one good day didn't magically bring you to maintenance level. Give yourself the gift of shrugging it off and move on! :-)
  • EatTrainWin
    EatTrainWin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in any forbidden foods. Everything is fine in moderation. For best results, I use a food scale.
  • Kevvboy
    Options
    To quote from the original post:

"Last night I measured out 2 1/2 cups servings (serving per container: 12), then another 1/2 cup serving for myself. 300 calories. Ok. Then I gave my sister 3 sevings as well. I opened the tub today to make some oatmeal a-la-mode for breakfast. I was so hungry. I measured it out--one 1/2 cup serving. Good. Then I measured out 1/2 cup again. Then I caved and had another 1/2 cup."

I don't know what that sounds like to anyone else but as a binge-eater myself, I recognize some of the signs. OP, If you are not a binge-eater, my apologies, because you sound just like me on a binge. Only you know whether or not having the ice cream around is giving you problems or not, and if it is not, nothing to get angry or defensive about.

If it is giving you problems, then it's within your power to not buy more ice cream for awhile until the cravings stop. Another way is to buy a lot of it, so much of it that it fills the freezer and you don't feel compelled to eat it all up, the way you describe. That worked for me in breaking binge cycles early on in my weight loss. It's all contained in a great book called 'Overcoming Overeating" by Munger and Hirschmann that really helped me a lot.

If you don't want to do this - fine. Please disregard. It is only a suggestion. Since you say you measure your food "compulsively," you might want to examine why measuring it didn't keep you from eating 20 oz of it (by your count) in about a 12-hour period. But if that is not a problem, my apologies for thinking that it was. And best of luck to you!
  • BancroftLady
    BancroftLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have done a similar thing - with ice cream too.. I didn't measure it but I have learned that some foods are "trigger foods" and I am not good at controlling portion sizes.. unfortunately there are a few different foods that fit this category :( So for now I am not going to keep them in the house, maybe one day I will be able to but not for a while.. We do just need to move on, every day is a new start to make good choices :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Slow churned gets some of its fat and calorie savings from the air that is incorporated (it gets it's texture from including air rather than fat...oh, don't get me started) so it's almost impossible not to have it settle some when kept at the generally colder home freezer temps and very easy to pack it. To even try to measure volume without packing, you would want to let it soften just a bit, but not so much that it loses the air. You migth actually find it easier to pick a healthy standard ice cream and eat smaller portions.

Oh, and seriously consider moving out. even if you have to get 4 roommates. It's cheaper than therapy later.

so are you saying some of the 'calories' they list and the 'servings of 12' are actually like 8 servings and less cals?

She/he is saying that that 12 servings of Edy's (100 cals/serving, right?) is the same as 6-ish servings of normal ice cream (~200 cals/serving) with a whole bunch of additional air incorporated during the churning. That's what gets you the lower calories - they doubled the volume of the same ice cream base with air.

Like the difference between angel food cake batter and angel food cake - lots less calories in the same volume for the cake.