21 Day Fix - what is so special about it?

Options

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    $108/mo for Shakeology sure beats the heck out of spending $300/$400 a month on anti-depressants, bipolar medications, and all the things we kept trying for my digestive tract.

Woah there. Proper nutrition can absolutely help with lethargy, blood sugar balance, and general outlook. HOWEVER, as you are a brand ambassador, it is irresponsible to imply that those of us with a serious serotonin imbalance (chemical depression) will no longer require medication if we are on a healthy diet and exercise regime. Healthy living can improve your mood, but it cannot alter your brain structure, any more than it can make you taller.

I am actually looking into trying the 21 day FIX, I think it may jump start new habits for me, and the portion-control containers intrigue me, but I'm still going to require medical treatment for my medical condition, and it angers me when people imply that that's not the case.
  • Carver89
    Carver89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it!
  • Carver89
    Carver89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anything that specifies a fix in a specific number of days isn't going to help you in the long term. You need a "rest of your life fix" which is neither expensive nor hard to stick to. What happens after 21 days? Well, I know what Shakeology wants to happen after 21 days... you maintain your good progress by buying more of their products. If you go back to your previous lifestyle, the weight will come back on again. If you switch to a much less expensive programme of calorie deficit + exercise, you'll maintain your good progress, but then that would beg the question as to why bother with the 21 day fix programme... you'll get the same results if you just go straight to the calorie deficit + exercise programme, and save yourself a bunch of money.

^^ It is not meant to be 21 -day fix and that's it. If you knew anything about the program it's the START to a lifestyle change. The title "21 days" only refers to what has been researched to be the amount of days you need to stick a habit (like eating good clean food). I am only on day 4 but so far I have high expectations. The workouts are incredible and the food plan I am on gives me more then enough food to feel full all day. The shakeology was just a bonus (but can totally be done without for similar results) I really like the effect it is having on my digestive system. a god send really. I've already seen lbs dropping and I feel amazing!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious. Check out all these profiles with 1 or 2 total comments total throughout their entire history on MFP peddling this over priced slim fast/ protein shake hybrid. It's like copy and past marketing heaven in this thread for beach body coaches.

You don't need any of this crap. Of course if someone eats like crap and lives a sedentary life then all of a sudden starts eating relatively better (and I use that word loosely ) and starts moving around more then they are going to loose weight and feel better.

This is just the same fitness hype repacked over again and again throughout history. Nothing new to see here.

Can it be a path to getting in better shape? Sure! But so can spending 5 more minutes extra planning out meals and lacing up your shoes to go do something/anything. You don't need stupid pyramid schemes and regurgitated fitness videos to get in shape. You just need to get off your butt and eat better.
  • fatesgyrl
    Options
    i agree with that!!
  • kc_schmitt024
    kc_schmitt024 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So obviously you are going to get the opinions of those who love Shakeology and BeachBody and those who think it is all a scam. As someone who actually sees both sides and believes in a little bit of both sides, my opinion is that, no you do not NEED these programs. The 21 Day fix challenge group is just that, a group that all agreed to the same challenge and will be there to motivate each other and pick each other up at the end of the day. If you need that, then join them and give it a try. The 21 Day fix by iteself is only around $60 for the food guide and the workout DVDs.

If Shakeology makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to do it, just eat healthy. Shakeology is an option with the meal guide, but not a necessity. Personally, I really liked Shakeology when I did it, but it is insanely expensive. I drank it as my afternoon snack and I will say that I was so focused after I drank it. That is what I really noticed, was how easy it was to sit down and bang out a ton of work when I am usually distracted easily. That is why I stuck with it for so long, but it got too expensive and I stopped using it. I never noticed a ton of weight loss using Shakeology by itself, but I liked the focus factor of it.

The 21 Day fix is just an easy way to divvy out your food, get your portion control under control and give you a kick start to your exercise. If you are struggling, it might be a good wake-up to see what portions should really look like (they give you containers to measure everything out in, so it is easy to do/see), and how hard you should be pushing yourself in the gym.

I personally am a workout DVD junkie! I love them because they show me how hard I should be pushing myself, but I can do them at my own time on my own schedule. I bought the Insanity DVD set and it is the best money I have ever spent because I have repeated it so many times. I spent $110 for something that I have used for years. Certain DVDs are even my go to workouts. I have also done the Jillian Michaels DVDs as well and like a lot of those, too!

Everyone will find something for themselves that works to lose weight, but it is all about finding something that you like well enough to stick to for the long run. If you like the idea of doing this with your friends and having them keep you accountable, then do it! What do you have to lose. If you don't think this is for you, find out what is, and do that. You don't "need" anything to help you out, but you do need something to keep you going. Figure out what you like and have fun with it! Good Luck!
  • niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Anything that specifies a fix in a specific number of days isn't going to help you in the long term. You need a "rest of your life fix" which is neither expensive nor hard to stick to. What happens after 21 days? Well, I know what Shakeology wants to happen after 21 days... you maintain your good progress by buying more of their products. If you go back to your previous lifestyle, the weight will come back on again. If you switch to a much less expensive programme of calorie deficit + exercise, you'll maintain your good progress, but then that would beg the question as to why bother with the 21 day fix programme... you'll get the same results if you just go straight to the calorie deficit + exercise programme, and save yourself a bunch of money.

As stated above, the whole premise of the program is that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. The 21 days of diligence needed to do the program start to finish are meant to instill new healthy habits in your lifestyle, including portion control and exercise. It may not be the program for you, but it is doing wonders for others. My opinion is, if it's getting someone to change their habits and be healthy, let them spend the money. It is after all their money to spend. Different approaches work for different people!
  • jencapone
    Options
    I'm a nurse. I take care of people all day. Then I come home and care for my family. I cook healthy and the fridge is full of vegetables. I am battling genetics. My parents have both had cancer even tho my mom is in incredible health and is 67 and travels the world. I take after my dad. My sister in law takes care of my in laws, I get asked questions about their health. So who takes care of me?
    Beachbody. I remain one of the few nurses I work with who has normal blood pressure and a good back. I hate the gym. I don't run. But I can plank all day.

I'm 42 and stopped absorbing B12 and gained weight (I have to get shots now). 3 years ago they thought I had MS. I could barely move and wanted to die. I had been exercising and donating blood and eating well. And then my body changed. Stupid intrinsic factor...

Beachbody is how I choose to stay well so that I can take care of everybody else. It's nice to have a coach. So they make money? So does the Avon lady.

I love that Shakeology is fair trade. I love having someone tell me what to do next. I can't wait for the 21Day containers to get here so that I can create a plan for my dad... who is divorced and 72 and still trying to be athletic but has crap blood work.

To me... spending the money is cheaper than what my dad pays for meds. I don't buy shoes. I buy exercise dvds. I don't buy cupcakes (my friend is a wicked baker and charges $2.75 a cupcake and rakes it in) I buy Shakeology. I don't have a Kuerig or buy Starbucks every morning.

You're already spending the money somewhere. You're already doing what works for you. The dvds work for me because I do them. It's not a scam. It's a business... know what else is a business? Pharmacology. Have your cholesterol and blood pressure go out of control and tell me what those meds cost. Now there's a scam.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think it's for the same reason I can't go to a cosmetics counter in a department store without coming away with a "system." You're told "All these products work together to get you the best results." You see beautiful packaging. It's all designed specifically to attract you and get you to buy stuff.

It seems to me from just word of mouth that Beach Body works for a lot of people. And sticking with it works for the long term. Everyone has the choice to use a preset system that looks pretty, or work a little harder to put together their own system that might just be cheaper and work as well, if not better, in the long run.

With my tendency to get sucked in by packaging, I might have been seduced by the 21 Day Fix myself if I hadn't already set up my own program using MFP, TDEE, and hours of research for the best exercise plan for me. I'm really grateful for all the knowledgeable people on this forum who probably saved me hundreds of dollars!
  • dannie138
    dannie138 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, I have to say that other Beachbody programs (T25) have worked for me. When 21 Day Fix came out, I signed up to be a coach.

That being said, I'm in the second week of this program and love it. I lost 5 pounds in the first week. Portion size has always been my issue and as someone with PCOS, certain foods aren't my friends. I absolutely love the container system and while I thought the workouts would be nothing compared to T25, they definitely are challenging too. There are modifiers for those people that need them (I don't :)) and the people selected to be in the videos are all different shapes and sizes. It's nice to see people that aren't "perfect" bodies.

As far as instructor, I personally find Shaun more engaging than Autumn. There are more "salespitchy" videos in the 21 Day Fix too.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing my first Beachbody program, Body Beast and love it! I am not using Shakeology - I do think it's incredibly expensive plus I have a lot of food sensitivities and I eat paleo so the shakes don't fit my lifestyle. I have done a lot of programs before, been a gym member, done boot camps, other DVDs, but what I love about body beast is that it's not the same workout every day. It's challenging and I love that I don't have to come up with my own workouts. I have never seen results doing my own thing and for the first time I am seeing real definition. Now, I still struggle with my midsection, but that's because I am not being strict enough with nutrition. I plan on doing a round two of body beast and dial in the nutrition aspect and see if it makes a difference. Having said that, I was considering the 21 day fix and googled it, which is how I found this thread. I like the idea of having the guesswork taken out of meal planning and of course the structured workouts. I am thinking of doing this before my next round of body beast. My only issue is cost. I wish these programs were less expensive.
  • fricktion
    fricktion Posts: 10
    Options
    I am half way done my program and I have seen some pretty amazing results and I am addicted. I love Autumn, for me she's so much more motivating than Jillian Michaels or some other video coaches I've seen.
  • lisamatsonernst
    Options
    I'm waiting for my 21 Day Fix to get here! It keeps selling out so it must be good! I've seen some great results from friends doing this. I've done Insanity (my favorite all time workout), T25 and am now doing P90X3. I'm curious about Body Beast. Is there much cardio in this program? I'm just throwing this out there, but have you considered signing up as a BB rep so you can get a good discount on these programs? That's what I did! It helps a little with the cost. :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Body Beast is an intense weight lifting program. It was originally geared towards men who want to get huge but many women do it and love it. There are two different ways you can do the program - one is the huge program where it's 6 days of lifting, the other is the lean program, where there is 1 day of cardio thrown in. That's for people who want to lose body fat and is the one I am currently doing. The cardio portion is tough though, it's a full body workout - some exercises use weight, others do not. The good thing is that it's only 30 minutes!
    I'm waiting for my 21 Day Fix to get here! It keeps selling out so it must be good! I've seen some great results from friends doing this. I've done Insanity (my favorite all time workout), T25 and am now doing P90X3. I'm curious about Body Beast. Is there much cardio in this program? I'm just throwing this out there, but have you considered signing up as a BB rep so you can get a good discount on these programs? That's what I did! It helps a little with the cost. :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    If you like shakes, and don't have the budget for Shakeology, you might try Alive. It is about 1/3 of the price, full of the super foods and nutrition, and delicious. Got mine at Walgreens. Have only tried vanilla soy.

Do what works for you!:flowerforyou:
  • LULUREBEL
    LULUREBEL Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!

Just to update... I've lost 14 pounds now... woohoo! Long way to go but I'm still going. :) Hope you are all doing well.
  • Mandi_Nichole85
    Options
    I just ordered the 21 day fix. I am going to do the Nutrition plan with my P90X work outs. However, I ordered the 21 day fix without the shakeology. I find the meal replacement shake I am already doing has been working great.
  • maryleighmitchell
    Options
    i also do not want to have to commit to buying the shakes and things.. but would like a program to follow .... but i keep seeing this 21 day fix EVERYWHERE.. and am curious.. are there any programs out there that do not require you to buy shakes or other "program essentials"?????
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think the workout programs are probably amazing - if you do them. That's my problem - I buy things and then never use it, so I have stopped using it.

In regard to the shakes - I don't think they're at ALL necessary.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i also do not want to have to commit to buying the shakes and things.. but would like a program to follow .... but i keep seeing this 21 day fix EVERYWHERE.. and am curious.. are there any programs out there that do not require you to buy shakes or other "program essentials"?????

Since you asked... www.whole30.com

Don't have to buy a THING (except groceries). I always find great success with it and use it as my "go to" nutrition plan when I'm training for a race - keeps all the aches and pains at bay and I recover incredibly fast.