On a day when you're doing cardio AND lifting...

RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
Which do you do first? The strength training or the cardio?

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    I read something a while ago that strength first then cardio after. Was a while ago, but will try find it. Pretty sure it was a YouTube video.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    I strength train first because my goal is to get stronger. If I do cardio first I don't have enough strength to perform the lifts the way I desire.

Determine your goals and go from there.
  • EatTrainWin
    EatTrainWin Posts: 13 Member
    I do strength training first and cardio second. If my schedule permits, I split them up during the day.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    I lift first then do cardio IF i do cardio...I rarely do.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    I rarely do cardio on lift days.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Cardio last. If I'm going to be fatigued, it's not while I have a 200 pound barbell over my head
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    This will sound ridiculous but I'm wondering if the cardio I do could even be considered in this scenario. I start with about 15 mins of the treadmill prior to lifting. This isn't a run, it might even be considered more of a warm up than anything. Is this applicable?
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    If I must do both then strength first.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    This will sound ridiculous but I'm wondering if the cardio I do could even be considered in this scenario. I start with about 15 mins of the treadmill prior to lifting. This isn't a run, it might even be considered more of a warm up than anything. Is this applicable?

Unless you're going at a pace that will leave you noticeably fatigued that would just be a warmup and that's fine
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    I do 35 minutes of cardio first, followed by 20 minutes of lifting. Seems to work good for me.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I alternate cardio and lifting days. When I did do both the same day, cardio was last.
  • ixtee
    ixtee Posts: 5 Member
    -Boyfriend does 20min cardio warmup (elliptical usually), then lifting.

-I do 5-7minute warmup, then lifting. IF I do any additional high intensity cardio it's generally later in the day well after I've recovered, and never on leg day. I just don't have energy to do it back to back and I'd rather not give up proper form for the sake of cardio.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ideally, you should not combine them ..as strength training is taxing enough on your muscles…

I guess if you are going to, then you should do it after weight lifting…because you want to be fresh for your lifting session….

I would suggest not doing cardio on your weight training day,and do it on your off day from weight training...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Weights first, always.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    My warm up is somewhat cardio but otherwise I always do it afterward. I find I have more energy when doing lifts first.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I was told strength first (after the warm-up), then cardio. Don't remember why, though.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I do cardio in the mornings because it really wakes my up. Then I do my strength at night because that's when my husband works out and I get to go hang out with him in the weight room/garage. I really like separating them out because I found that if I do them back to back, I always end up not having enough energy to put my all into one no matter which one I do first. I only do about 1/2 an hour for each, so it's very easy to fit in and I can really give everything I have.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member

Unless you're going at a pace that will leave you noticeably fatigued that would just be a warmup and that's fine