What do I do with this tofu?

Options
liftingandlipstick
liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
I bought tofu on a whim yesterday. I've eaten it before, know that I like it, but have never prepared it myself. So- throw some suggestions at me!

I am on Pinterest, and have looked around there a bit, but I'm looking for personal recommendations- recipes with a certified stamp of approval already attached :)

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    you could cook it up in a stir fry, usually people marinade it overnight in soy sauce to give it a flavor but you can also put it in a soup and let it absorb that flavor.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    - Tofu chocolate pudding
    - Tofu hash
    - Add it to your favorite protein shake recipe
    - Soups

It takes on the flavor of the dish. Take your favorite dish and add it to it.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I generally use tofu in a smoothie, but I've also used as a substitute for cream cheese in cheesecake.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You can do anything with tofu! Most of the time I just add it to dishes. For example, I add it to spaghetti, vegetarian stew or chilli for the extra protein. You can also curry and bake it. You can bread it and bake it (similar to Chicken Parm). Scramble it with taco seasoning and use on tacos.

I think the key is to press and bake it though. I press it (basically wrap in a towel and put something heavy like a pot on top for about 10-15 mins), slice it into 8 sections, lightly spray with olive oil, bake on 400 for 20 mins, flip, bake for 10 more, and sometimes broil for 2 mins at the end for extra crispness.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I generally use tofu in a smoothie, but I've also used as a substitute for cream cheese in cheesecake.

I am cutting out dairy again because I finally decided to stop giving myself asthma attacks on purpose, but cheesecake is the thing I miss most. How do you use tofu in a cheesecake? Is it a 1:1 substitution? Do you have to do anything else special?
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Tofu cat food.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Tofu will absorb most any flavor you apply. I like spicy oriental dishes of various sorts, so I keep some tofu in chili oil in the refrigerator to add to things. You might not like the heat as much as I do, but it's a thought.

You can add it anywhere you might have added ground meat-- vegetarian chili, scrambled eggs and omelettes, pasta sauces, and so on. If you want it to maintain its shape, you'd be best off with extra firm. Less than that tends to crumble, which is fine for some things.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Baked Tofu

Ingredients:
    1 block firm tofu, pressed and cut into triangles

Liquid
    3 Tbsp. mustard
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup flour
    black pepper and garlic powder to taste

Breading
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp celery salt
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1/4 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp minced onion
    1 pinch dried basil leaves
    1 pinch dried oregano

Dilute the mustard in the water and then whisk in the flour, pepper, and garlic powder. In a ziplock bag or a bowl, combine all breading ingredients. Take your tofu triangles, dredge them in the mustard mix, then in the breadcrumbs. Throw them on a greased baking pan and put them in the oven at about 400 degrees. Bake them until it looks like the crumbs are almost burned (around 25 minutes).

These recipes are also really good:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/10/spicy-sriracha-tofu-peanut-butter.html
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/06/baked-tofu-recipe-with-soy-and-sesame.html
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    throw it away
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Buffalo style tofu

Sooo easy and soooo good.

1 Container of extra firm tofu

1-2 Tablespoons of Hot Sauce (Franks)

1-2 Tablespoons of Water

1 Tablespoon Butter (I use Land O Lake Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil)

Slice the tofu and remove as much extra moisture as possible. Put the tofu in a skillet sprayed with a little cooking spray. Flip over once the first side is browned. Brown other side. Meanwhile combine hot sauce, water and butter and microwave until the butter is melted. Mix the sauce until combined. Remove from pan and pour over the sauce.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Tofu cat food.

Hush you!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Tofu banh mi. It's the only way I ever eat tofu these days. yum.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Quality tofu tastes great on its own. If what you purchased tastes like a sponge, and if you bought it at a regular grocery store it probably does, just throw it out.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I made Ma Po tofu the other day and it's amazing! Google for it. It has pork mixed with it.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas, folks! I may have to buy more if even half these turn out as good as they sound- definitely going to have to try the baked and buffalo, plus stir frys :)
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    sautee it and some veg with a little oil. Med-high heat. When it's golden round the edges add in soy sauce or Bragg's Aminos liquid and reduce a little. Serve over rice. Tofu absorbs flavor really well. Use firm for sauteeing and soft for smoothes, soups and such.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you like soups look up Hot and sour soup, it's amazing but spicy.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat it?