is 1200 calories/day enough?

Options
Hi and thanks for any and all responses!
I'm looking for some tips on how many calories I should be eating... my current goal is:to keep losing weight, but I want it to be stricly fat(get a lower body fat %, and I want to gain more muscle) I'm looking to be more toned.
There are days where I find myself hungry and lacking energy but I don't eat because I don't want to overeat and gain weight, or 'undo' my workout by eating calories that are suppose to be my deficit.
Background info:
I'm 5'2, 22 years old, and weighing between 124-125lbs, goal weight-118. I have PCOS(insulin resistance) so losing weight has been a long journey(even though I've always been very involved in sports) & I can not allow myself to gain weight....this is why I'm so nervous to eat over 1200cal./day, but I need to be open minded as I know a body that is burning more needs more fuel..so,

my job is fairly sedentary(I'm a medical secretary), but I live an active lifestyle, i.e. I walk my dog on a daily basis for 30 min or more
I go to the gym about 3-4times a week, my gym routine includes: running HIIT and reg. cardio for 4-6 miles(every time)
Then depending on what muscles I'm targetting that day I combine either :
a.do 2 sets of 25 forward lunges(each leg), 2 sets of 25 backwards lunges, 2 sets of 25 squats, step/jump routine, 50 jumping jacks

b. 4 sets of tricep extensions(10 reps. each arm-10lbs.), 3 sets of bicep curls(12.5lbs), 3 sets chest press(20lbs.-10reps)2 sets of chest flyes(20lbs.-10 reps), 3 sets of lat. pull ups(20lbs.-10 reps)

c. abs routine 3 sets of: 10 crunches, 10(each side) obliques, 10 reverse crunches, 10(e. side) bicycle crunches, 10 leg lifts, 10 sit ups, and 4-5 1minute planks

MFP is suggesting 1200cals., should I try eating more on days when I workout? is 1400 enough or should I try 1800 calories? should I increase my workouts if I increase my calories? I know I can play around with these numbers alone..but I'm looking for advice from anyone who started eating at 1200 cals/day and ended up eating more cals./day (for similar reasons), working out, and still seeing progress, would be really great if any ladies with pcos have advice too....I'm so greatful and amazed with how much progress I've made thanks to MFP and so many helpful sites and I'm looking forward to whatever helpful tips I receive :) Thanks ladies and gents!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You only have 7 lb. to go. Set your goal to .5 lb. and be patient.

Your MFP calorie goal already has your deficit built in, but not your exercise. You must eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • maryanndameron
    Options
    You guys are so encouraging for achieving my weight loss goals. You are doing great with losing your weight. Remember to change up your excersice rountine to stimulate your metabolism.
    Mary Ann
  • Init2winIt79
    Options
    You only have 7 lb. to go. Set your goal to .5 lb. and be patient.

Your MFP calorie goal already has your deficit built in, but not your exercise. You must eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks, that link was actually a helpful reminder, I will try chaning my weight loss setting to.5 :)
  • Init2winIt79
    Options
    You guys are so encouraging for achieving my weight loss goals. You are doing great with losing your weight. Remember to change up your excersice rountine to stimulate your metabolism.
    Mary Ann

Thanks Mary Ann, I add an extra set or go up on my weights or distance(I also race myself, using previous running times for x amt. of mile)
    I wish you the best on your journey, you got this!:smile: