Breakfast like a King, Dinner like a Poor Man

Options
13»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread is zombie.

I don't eat until noon. Dinner is always the largest meal of the day, because that's how I like to roll. I don't lose any more or less weight not eating breakfast than I did when I did eat breakfast; the calories remain the same no matter when I eat them and that's what matters (for most people)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat much more in the mornings than the afternoons, and very little if anything in the even, iings. I do this, in part, so that I have calorie fuelled energy when I am active, which is daytime, and my most calorie depleted time is when I am sleeping. Hard for me to understand why someone would go hungry in the morning, for instance, so that they can have a before bedtime snack. You are about to lie still for eight hours, do you really need the energy then?

Yes, I do. Nothing kills a good nights sleep like waking up hungry at 4am.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat much more in the mornings than the afternoons, and very little if anything in the evenings. I do this, in part, so that I have calorie fuelled energy when I am active, which is daytime, and my most calorie depleted time is when I am sleeping. Hard for me to understand why someone would go hungry in the morning, for instance, so that they can have a before bedtime snack. You are about to lie still for eight hours, do you really need the energy then?

Right or wrong I'm not necessarily looking for energy in food, I'm looking for GOOD taste. I just don't crave that very early in the morning, just need sustenance. I also do not lie still for 8 hours (how I wish I did). I'm periodically getting up, packing a gym bag, picking/cleaning up around the apartment, watching tv - well, that is lying still :wink: Also coffee does a pretty good job energizing me in the mornings. Please don't talk to me until this cup of coffee I'm holding in my hand while walking down to my desk like a zombie is *in* me.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    There is no right answer.....just do what works best for you and your schedule
  • linkirving
    linkirving Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What matters most is sustainability. If I ate more calories at breakfast than at dinner, I would ragequit within 2 days and just go back to the lifestyle that made me a fat dude.

Do what works for you.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I hardly eat breakfast or if I do its later in the morning. I have to "save" my calories for later in the day. I get too hungry and then over eat if I eat most of my calories early.

I think as long as your total for the day is under your goal it dosn' really matter.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat much more in the mornings than the afternoons, and very little if anything in the even, iings. I do this, in part, so that I have calorie fuelled energy when I am active, which is daytime, and my most calorie depleted time is when I am sleeping. Hard for me to understand why someone would go hungry in the morning, for instance, so that they can have a before bedtime snack. You are about to lie still for eight hours, do you really need the energy then?

Yes, I do. Nothing kills a good nights sleep like waking up hungry at 4am.

Amen to that. I don't want to go to bed even slightly hungry or wishing I had had that chocolate cake.

PLUS, I cannot work out on a full stomach. If I eat a meal, I have to wait 2+ hours before I can do my usual workout, so it makes more sense for me to eat a big meal AFTER I get my major activities in. Also, I'm not hungry in the morning. I don't particularly like eating when I'm not hungry; conversely, I do like to eat food when I am hungry.

It's been working out quite well for me so far, so I'm just going to keep eating a ton of food before bed and then laying in all of that calorific glory all night long. :laugh:

Just do what works for you.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I do the opposite. Many of my breakfasts are 250-300 calories and dinners can be upwards of 600 depending on what I ate for lunch, or if I had snacks throughout the day.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    These recommendations (smaller meals for dinner) are not made based on weight loss goals/caloric needs but rather on the fact that eating large meals late at night is generally not recommended as it can mess with your sleep cycle. If eating large meals late doesn't mess with your sleep cycle... you do you!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories later in the day. That's how I prefer it. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning, but start getting hungry around lunch.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat in a way that increases the chance of adherence and helps the most with gym performance, lifestyle and energy levels in general.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, food timing is irrelevant. I eat 2/3 of my calories in the last two hours that I'm awake. Typically going to bed minutes after finishing.
  • tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry before noon and so I have stopped forcing myself to eat when I'm not at all hungry. (Starting to eat early in the day also gets my appetite going at a rate beyond what my available calories can keep up with.) Skipping breakfast gives me more calories to play with in the late afternoon and evening, when my appetite is at its greatest. Dinner is my major meal and I often save up some calories for a late night snack.
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily the best approach, but it depends what your day looks like and when you work out. Based on American Dietary Associations recommendations and my experience, the best approach is to eat evenly through out the day aligning with upper limits of carbs, proteins and fats.

What worked for me and per ADA is to eat smaller and more frequent meals spread out through out the day.

Good luck.