Weekly calories?

Options
Has anyone here ever tried to stay within their weekly calories instead of doing daily? I have no issue eating all of my daily calories, but my exercising calories are a pain. I swim 4 times a week and rarely feel like eating the calories on those days. However, on Thursdays and Saturdays (two of the days I don't swim) I get hungry! Can I eat my exercise calories on the days in between my exercising?

Replies

• jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Dont see why not! It adds up daily, weekly. Give it a try n see how it works. If it doesn't, change it up again. I have never tried it likethat b4. Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Some people do choose to go by a weekly goal rather than a daily one, and some save their exercise calories to enjoy larger meals on the weekend. As long as your numbers are coming out the same in the end, it should be fine. :smile:
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That is kind of the theory behind some of the fasting day diets, so should be fine!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes you can.

Long answer: Generally I have found this works best swinging calories over a 48 maybe 72 hour period rather than a 7 day period. Certainly from a memory point of view also. If you are seeing the results (weight / inches you want and you feel energetic and not lethargic) then you are on the right track :)
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do it, and it's worked for me.

If you use the smart phone app, there's a weekly calorie count under the nutrition section, which can also be accessed at the bottom right corner of the diary.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried it though? I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to put a delay on the whole weight loss thing. I start law school soon and I want to get most of the extra weight off by then. Living healthy is what my life is going to be like from now on, but swimming 4 times a week wont be possible when class starts. The best I will get is walking/biking to and from class, and any time I can squeeze in between classes.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes you can.

Long answer: Generally I have found this works best swinging calories over a 48 maybe 72 hour period rather than a 7 day period. Certainly from a memory point of view also. If you are seeing the results (weight / inches you want and you feel energetic and not lethargic) then you are on the right track :)

I swim at least every second day, so that would work for me. Do you think I am so hungry on the non swimming days because the calories were burn on the previous day and not eaten?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sort of.

In theory, I aim for a -500 calorie deficit every day.

In practice, as long as in the long term it averages out to at least -300/day for the week, I'm happy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried it though? I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to put a delay on the whole weight loss thing. I start law school soon and I want to get most of the extra weight off by then. Living healthy is what my life is going to be like from now on, but swimming 4 times a week wont be possible when class starts. The best I will get is walking/biking to and from class, and any time I can squeeze in between classes.

Yes I do it all the time...watch my weekly.

Weight loss does not happen on 24hour increments your body doesn't care when you eat the food just that you stay in a deficet over a period of time.

For example this week I am over my weekly total by 529..so that works out to less than 100 a day but most of it happened on Friday/Saturday (I was hungry this weekend)
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This isn't the advice you were asking for . . . . but

As a recent law school graduate - I can tell you - if swimming four days a week is what you WANT to do, even while you are in school, then it certainly is possible. You just have to make time to do it - putting yourself and your health as an equal priority to your studies.

Love yourself and do the things you need to do for yourself, to create healthy long-term habits. :-)
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do that w my running. I eat some of my saved calories back on sunday which is my rest day. I'm still loosing weight with no problems. I think exercise acts as a appetite suppressant cause on sunday when i don't run i am starvinnnnng.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Yes, managing a weekly calorie budget works! During weight loss phase, I often stayed slightly under my goal during the week in order to have a "splurge" meal on the weekend and stay within my weekly goal. I experienced what you're talking about just this weekend. I did a long workout Saturday morning and didn't even feel like eating until dinner, so I had lots of "extra" calories that I didn't eat, but on Sunday, I woke up hungry which is unusual for me, so I ended up eating three meals as opposed to my normal two. In the end, it all evens out.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is the way I lost 50 lbs. It's definitely viable and adds some flexibility, especially since I don't always eat on a routine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go by weekly. Your body doesn't work on a 24 hour clock.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Yes, people do it. It's essentially what the TDEE followers do. We calculate our calorie expenditure with the assumption that we will do the exercise. We eat the same number of calories each day, whether or not we exercise. It's more than the base calories MFP gives but not as much as base + exercise. You may want to give that a try, in fact. You can google TDEE calculator, enter in your activity level (including exercise), and then multiply that by .85 to get a moderate deficit (or even by .90 for a smaller deficit). That would give you the daily amount to eat. I may be easier for you to calculate and keep track of than trying to balance the exercise days and non exercise days out.

Or, you can eat the more on your off days, especially if you're hungrier, and not eat back exercise calories on other days. Either way will work if you balance it over the week.
  • yewbic
    yewbic Posts: 37
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried it though?

yeah, for sure, it's called "calorie cycling." I've tried several different formulas for calorie cycling and my current one is def. the best one i've tried so far for several different reasons.

I like to go super low calorie, super low carb 4 days a week, then the last 3 days of the week i eat almost up to maintenance or only a 200 cal deficit. In the end im still at a 7000 calorie deficit for the week, and i've been consistently losing 2 pounds per week.

the reason why i think this method is great is because, after prolonged exposure to very low calorie deficits, your metabolism may begin to slow down a bit... and in my experience i always found that it usually took about 3 days of eating up to maintenance in order to reset my metabolism back to normal after having significantly slowed it down...

so, after much trial and error, what i finally did was design a weekly routine where i fit those 3 days of high calorie eating into my weekly cycle. 4 days of super low calorie + super low carb, followed by 3 days of high calorie eating whatever i want (up to maintenance). Those 3 days serve as a "metabolism reset" function in my weekly cycle, so my metabolism never really gets a chance to slow down, as its consistently being re-assured at the end of every week that im not starving.

the low carb is just a personal choice, i personally find that by eating non-starchy vegetables and protein during those 4 low cal, low-carb days i get full on a lot less calories, and im able to get a ton of natural vitamins, a ton of fiber. and without having to post links to pubmed, or PMC, there have been some studies that suggest low carb, ketogenic diets offer greater fat loss.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm very very late to the conversation, but I've been testing going by the "weekly" goal this week.

I've been VERY good at never netting below 1200 by eating most of my exercise calories back.

Problem is...WEEKENDS I tend to go over.

This week I've been "saving" up my exercise calories to see if it will help me not go over the weekly total on the weekends.

Is this correct thinking? (please don't beat me...lol.)