Hams Soooo Tight!!!! - Rest / Recovery days

Options
I've been living with the same body now going on 43 years and I've noticed that I take longer to recover than most people. I've always been this way and I'm wondering if it's common or if there is a name for it. I also take several days for bruises to show up after an injury and I don't know if that's related.

When I work out, I'm almost never sore the next day. I usually feel it two days later which makes it difficult to work the same muscle groups on MWF like most people. What brought this up is that I pulled an airplane about 200 yards on Sat. night and my hamstrings were so tight this morning that I could barely run and stretching out was pathetic. I didn't have nearly the flexibility that I normally have.

Is this a sign of some fatal illness or is it fairly common?

Replies

• kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My son has this same issue. He joined the military, and basic training was horrendous for him. He managed to complete, but after returning from Iraq, he is a mess. I would strongly suggest you get a complete physical, and maybe even get some PT, so you don't end up hurt. From what I can understand with my son's diagnoses, it is a muscle issue that is genetic. I wish you lots of luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up properly and stretching after? Drinking plenty of water and getting enough protein?

Do you have a foam roller?

I've got recovery issues, and all those things ^ help. The foam roller has made a huge difference in my hamstrings after just a few uses. I highly recommend it. I also like to do an epsom salt soak after lifting and that helps slightly.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is hugely uncommon. There's a phenomena called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) which is pretty common. With DOMS, the worst of the soreness is 2 days afterward - you may feel sore at day 1 and day 3, but the worst is at day 2.

How to combat it? Regular training... If you work a muscle group every 7 days without fail, after 2 or 3 weeks you shouldn't get any DOMS at all on that muscle group. Of course regularly switching up your training can bring back some soreness (which means what you're doing is working), but the debilitating tightness of DOMS should stop as long as you keep up the frequency.

Don't know if that's what you're talking about, but could be..?

Jay
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm no Dr. but it doesn't sound like a fatal illness but if you are that concerned maybe you should see your Dr. just to be safe. It takes me longer to recover from workouts too. I have to remember that I am 38 not 28 even though energy wise I feel 25.
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    How to combat it? Regular training... If you work a muscle group every 7 days without fail, after 2 or 3 weeks you shouldn't get any DOMS at all on that muscle group. Of course regularly switching up your training can bring back some soreness (which means what you're doing is working), but the debilitating tightness of DOMS should stop as long as you keep up the frequency.

Just to clear the air, for some people the DOMs don't ever go away. I'm always sore after a leg day and for three days afterwards, even if I work legs twice a week for months. It's just the way my body works, and the DOMs are just as bad after months as they were on day 1.
  • jmill434
    jmill434 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Buy a foam roller and never look back. It's one of the best investments you can make for your body. I wish I had discovered rolling ten years ago. It will hurt like hell when you first start rolling, but after a while it just becomes simple maintenance that you can knock out in 10 minutes while watching the evening news. There are plenty of youtube vidoes to show you rolling techniques also. Between heavy deadlifting, squatting, C&J'ing and running I work out five days a week and with the help of a roller I'm able to stay in the game and drastically reduce soreness.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    drink water
    do mobility wods (kelly starlett- google that chit)
    buy a foam roller
    drink water
    breath into your stretching
    take up yoga
    keep doing the things.
    make sure you get your protein, carbs and fats (i.e. hit your macros)
    make sure you get enough sleep
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    drink water
    do mobility wods (kelly starlett- google that chit)
    buy a foam roller
    drink water
    breath into your stretching
    take up yoga
    keep doing the things.
    make sure you get your protein, carbs and fats (i.e. hit your macros)
    make sure you get enough sleep

Yes to all the above. Great list!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Water, plus a little carb and caffeine after your workout helps with muscle recovery.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies! (The fatal illness thing was a joke - BTW)

Sleep - check
    Water - check
    proper warmup - check
    stretching exercises - check
    regular physicals - check
    macros - check
    caffeine - check

I wasn't familiar with DOMS but that makes total sense.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Buy a foam roller and never look back. It's one of the best investments you can make for your body. I wish I had discovered rolling ten years ago. It will hurt like hell when you first start rolling, but after a while it just becomes simple maintenance that you can knock out in 10 minutes while watching the evening news. There are plenty of youtube vidoes to show you rolling techniques also. Between heavy deadlifting, squatting, C&J'ing and running I work out five days a week and with the help of a roller I'm able to stay in the game and drastically reduce soreness.

*everything* that this guy says.