Protein Powder

Options
What protien powder do you use and recommend and why?

Replies

• timoteokerrigan
    Options
    Syntrax. Minimal preservatives, different flavors instead of vanilla and chocolate. I recommend the iced tea flavor if you are a fan of instant iced tea. Also, its only 100 calories a scoop, cant beat that.
  • Funkenstein7
    Options
    Why do you need powder? Just eat fish, chicken and nuts?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use this in a 1/2 measure because it's cheap & vanilla doesn't add taste to different flavored smoothies. Just bought a container of Eas chocolate Fudge,a fav for years. Either one is used when low on protein,but often go wks without using the powder.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Powder-Vanilla-1.95-LB/10322404
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options

While I agree that whole foods are always preferable, sometimes there's caveats in a person's diet. If someone is vegetarian (for whatever reason) it's sometimes hard to get enough complete protein, especially if you are a person who lifts heavy.

Also, if you are a woman (or man of particularly small stature) who's trying to lose fat while maintaining muscle mass, you need a high intake of protein at a low daily caloric intake. This can make it difficult to get the protein required without going over your caloric intake.

Finally, it's a cheaper source of protein. Personally, at 6'6" 280lbs, lifting heavy, I'm taking in between 200 and 250g of protein a day. Say I went with just chicken today. That would be about 8-12 boneless breasts to get in me today. That's a lot of buying, a lot of cooking, and A LOT of eating. If I supplement a whole food diet with a handful of whey isolate powder, I can bump up my protein by as much as a factor of two for a couple bucks, and not have to eat 6 chickens worth of white meat.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Protein powder = processed useless crap. Just eat real food.

I'm a vegan and I can easily get mine through quinoa, lentils, beans, peas, all the veggies, all the fruits, all the grains.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    double post. apologies.
  • KLiburd86
    KLiburd86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK & I use The Protein Works - diet whey complex, seems to be helping so far :smile:
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard.

Currently trying some bodytech(vitamin shoppe brand) stuff because it was 30 bucks for 100 servings.
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    Protein powder = processed useless crap. Just eat real food.

I'm a vegan and I can easily get mine through quinoa, lentils, beans, peas, all the veggies, all the fruits, all the grains.

Some people need to consume over 200g per day of protein powder. Trying to get that high is hard, the supplement just makes it easier. There's nothing wrong with protein powder, and good powder is not processed crap, but thanks for your uneducated input.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pffft. I can't put fish, chicken etc in my protein pancakes, and it would be a shame not to make them anymore.

I use Optimum Nutrition natural vanilla (it uses stevia). I like Teras Whey too, it's organic, but much more $$, so I only get the chocolate flavor now as I don't use it as much. Typically, I only use them to add to oatmeal, yogurt, or pancakes.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard.

Currently trying some bodytech(vitamin shoppe brand) stuff because it was 30 bucks for 100 servings.

Every time this topic comes up, ON Gold Standard gets recommended. I use it, too - the double rich chocolate flavor is pretty good, and not that expensive.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I just use Body Fortress from Walmart. I usually have a shake after lifting or a killer workout, or the odd breakfast shake to get some protein in a snap!

And it's a whole bunch cheaper! haha
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Syntrax - I use a half scoop of the Vanilla Bean Torte in my morning coffee (temper it a bt first with a bit of soymilk)in place of flavored creamers. It disolves beautifully in hot liquids, tastes great, and they have a spectrum of great flavors. I order from Vitacost.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Because it tastes like chocolate and its guilt free? yummy way to meet your protein goals.
    anyway i was using muscle tech and it made me BLOAT. some people are talking about ISO 100. think I'm gonna give it a try
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Because it tastes like chocolate and its guilt free? yummy way to meet your protein goals.
    anyway i was using muscle tech and it made me BLOAT. some people are talking about ISO 100. think I'm gonna give it a try

This is exactly why. Plus per gramme of protein it works out a lot CHEAPER than buying a ****ton of meat that I don't have room for in my freezer. Fish and nuts don't taste like french vanilla. Fish and nuts can't be cooked into a pancake or delicious baked treats. Or at least they shouldn't be. Groce.
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I use Casein protein instead of whey, it doesn't spike my blood sugar(don't get hungry right after) and it's pretty filling. Specific brand, optimum nutrition and I've been using blueberry & cream. Also, it's only 120 calories for 24g of protein.

My experience: They say it's not as 'fast acting', but honestly taking it at night I recover a lot better from workout to workout. The only thing is it is difficult to mix. I drink off 3 oz or so of a bottle of water, pour some in and shake the crap out of it. They'll still be chunks, but honestly I don't care. I'm a picky eater, but it tastes fine to me.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Trutien is tasty
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Beause I can't get over 100 g in protein with 1400-1600 calories a day to play with.... too short and small.

I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition. So many flavors to choose from and lots of protein.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite Xt

It doesnt taste like protein powder
    Its delicious with any milk!
    Brownie flavor is awesome!!!
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    rebeccamurphy12979 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Intek Protein, has a blend of whey, casein and albumin, so reportedly is better utilized by the body. sweetened with stevia. Many flavors. I am a short, female endomorph and do heavy workouts several times a week, so I find the supplements help keep my protein up. I use a scoop of vanilla in my coffee, or greek yogurt.