Do you log zero calorie foods in your dairy?

Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
    Even coffee gets 3 separate line items, one for the Kcup, one for the splenda, and one for the soy milk.

Did you know that every pack of splenda is 4 cals and 1 carb?

Almost nothing is really zero. The law says you can call it zero if it's less than 5.

So if a serving is "one" of something that SAYS zero but is really 4, and you eat 5 servings, and think that's 5 times zero, it's really 20 cals, and 5 carbs in the case of splenda. Cals come from SOMEWHERE, so anything that has ANY calories MUST have a macro included.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't bother. I don't log things like sodium so I'm not going to waste my time with zero calorie stuff.
    ^^This. I don't even log the small amount of butter I use to fry my eggs. Gets way too OCD for me!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Born mainly out of laziness I do not log everything. If I know something is high in salt I do. Nutrient dense food I weigh and log. Salads I just usually underestimate. I am a bit of a grazer so I may bundle guess something things like mixed nuts. It is all a matter of whether you are going to use the information if you are not then the data is not worth much to you. I have never logged gum or Stevia tabs and rarely put tea in unless I add milk.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    No.. too tedious.. plus those "free items" unless they are tons of something else (eg - sodium) then it's not value added for me.. The -2-3-4 kcals that are in the items are a wash since I don't record any extra activity (running for the train, all the extra walking that I do in my commute or what have you) I figure it all balances out.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie chemical **** storms?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This thread has taken an unexpected turn (I guess that just goes to show how much I have to learn!) ... as I was thinking the same way, "... it's ONLY 5 calories.... who cares?!?!" But now I can see some value in tracking sodium, etc.

I am a little concerned that tracking every piece of gum, 0 calorie soda / lemonade, etc. could become laborious...

A diet coke has 40 grams of sodium in it. For some people that might not matter but for those that are trying to control BP it does. If you drink 4 or 5 a day that can add up.

I log 98% of everything. If I add a dash of pepper or some other seasoning while I am eating...I don't. I do however keep a 30 calorie buffer that I allow for those types of things.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I add everything. Cucumber are only 12 calories per 100gr, but I eat them daily so I add them everytime.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lean to the OCD side so I log everything. Every sauce, every bite, every Lifesaver (10 cals apiece in case you cared!). I would just rather be able to see everything than think over what I could be missing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I draw the line at adding minuscule amounts of next to no calorie items like spices, a tiny dash of sauce, cooking spray etc

Yes in theory they will add up but if I am doing this logging Long term it has to be user friendly - and I figure an extra calorie here or there is not really significant and evens out with things like walking ,say, 31 minutes and logging it as 30.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'll have a diet Coke once in a great while, the sodium is what I track. Of course, increased water and potassium balances that out and close monitoring from my doctor keeps me from being extra paranoid about a non existent problem (i.e. blood pressure, etc).
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    I track everything that goes into my mouth...

Multivitamins, fat burner, pre-workout, sodas, pickles, mustard...etc

It's good to see the spectrum of things outside of calories like sodium, sugar, vitamins, etc.
  • only1bones
    only1bones Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    High sodium intake can increase your weight from 5-10lbs.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I log everything because I need the accountability. If I eat too many things that are not logged it becomes too easy to not log. I need to log it all to stay in the habit. In my mouth = in my diary. It's different for everyone. I don't log it because I am concerned about the 4 calories -- it is the habit.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Most have sodium,please log.
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log spices, diet pop, tea/coffee etc. I understand there are some good reasons for wanting to (ie:sodium) but if your main concern is calories I wouldn't bother. Even at its best calorie counting is not a precise science. Most food labes are rounded to the nearest 5 calories so if you have 20 items in your diary thats a possible swing of 25-50 calories at the end of the day. Not to mention your BMR or TDEE are not EXACTLY the same every single day. It's all about the averages and the trends.

Basically, do your best to be accurate and weigh as much as possible but don't obsess over it if that's not like you. I just accept that weight loss is not exact and it will happen if I keep at it.
  • sunny4art
    Options
    A lot of good info and variety of styles of logging here. I guess I'm not that OCD either but I'll have to think about it. Don't log coffee, Diet Sierra Mist, etc.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee (drink it black). And I only sometimes log raw or boiled veggies. If it has sauce, I log that. My understanding of a "free" food, is not that it doesn't have *any* calories, but that the amount of calories it has does not compensate for the amount of calories it takes your body to digest it.
  • michelledusik
    michelledusik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even my daily multivitamin.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Pickles and hot sauce aren't zero calorie, just low calorie. I'd log both of those because of the sodium if not the calories, but I agree that it is probably not that important.

The only stuff I don't log is most spices. Especially since my husband cooks a lot of our food with a huge variety of different spices. I often sprinkle cinnamon or a bit of vanilla in things and do not log that.

I don't log sugarfree gum or my morning fish oil supplement. I have friends who do, but it's one of those cases where I don't feel it's that important.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I never log things like pickles, hot sauce or spices.