Why Women Lift

Options

Replies

• ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    To all the women who lift,

Did you start lifting after you had lost weight, or did you lift TO lose weight??

I really do like lifting heavy for all of the reasons above, but mostly because I love seeing my progress in how much weight I'm able to move ... but I am also obese -- clinically, medically, all of it. I also notice that I start to look more bulky when I lift since I still have alot of fat on my body.

My question is: Will I lose weight/fat/however you want to break it down, by lifting heavy?

I started when I was 235lbs, and have been lifting ever since. You absolutely will lose weight and fat doing so. It might not be the fastest way, but it is, in my opinion, completely worth the slower progress.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Something else I think about:

Many of us grew up disliking our bodies because they weren't skinny enough, or top heavy enough, or curvy or lean or whatever.

Being at a healthy weight is great for appearance and health, but that number of the scale I think dominates and overshadows any other way of measuring our self-worth.

A huge part of lifting for me was learning to like and appreciate my body a different way. I can say when I started this, I was "lifting" 2.5 lbs, now I'm lifting 30..and it is all my effort and determination.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I see tons of threads about woman lifting.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is encouraging ... as that is around the same weight I am starting out at! I've been thinking of working with a personal trainer to push me to my max and to help get results quicker
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I lift so that all 4'9 of me can carry my sleeping 46pd 7yo up a flight of stairs to bed :laugh:

I am smaller now than I ever was at a lower weight when I was younger, and that's after having two kids. That's pretty awesome in itself :smile:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It helps me to get through the endurance event that is my day to day life.

With a booty that makes men pull crying faces and do little dances.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I usually do Zumba for cardio but am interested in how to get started on lifting weights. I'm in my late 50's and don't want flabby arms or tummy. What's a good web site to learn from for beginners? Thanks!

Good for you for taking an interest :drinker: !

A couple good resources you can google:

- Starting Strength
    - Stronglifts 5x5
    - New Rules of Lifting for Women (book)

If you have access to a gym, I highly reccomend hiring a personal trainer for 3-5 sessions to get you started and teach you proper form. I would also come prepared with the workouts you want to learn (one of the above) so they don't start you off on the wrong foot (i.e. lifting pink dumbbells).

Good luck to you, you won't regret it!

I totally agree! I have only been lifting since October and can see a big difference in my strength and body. A trainer will help you with proper form. I've actually been approached at the gym and told you lift an awful lot for a woman!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for months, and I don't feel like it's doing anything for my butt. It's flabbier than ever since Ive lost weight. Hoping I can still firm it up somehow......
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for months, and I don't feel like it's doing anything for my butt. It's flabbier than ever since Ive lost weight. Hoping I can still firm it up somehow......

The inches coming off and things tightening up are pretty slow for me as well. I'm moving a lot of weight, too. I can tell a difference in my arms, my butt is lifting up and my back fat is slowly going away. I'm also seeing muscles that I've never had before. I've been lifting since the end of November. Just keep at it. It's slower for some people.
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started lifting because my doctor recommended it as I have bone density issues.
    I carry on lifting as I like the changes I am seeing in my body.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Are you going deep enough (Just past parallel)? Are you doing low-bar squats (these hit the butt easier/more)? If you've been doing it for a while you could drop to 3x5, then add in some things like lunges or barbell hip thrusts. Or really, since you are losing you might not have much luck building or shaping the muscle while on a deficit. You might have to wait until you reach your goal and are eating at maintenance. Then if that doesn't work you might have to eat at a slight surplus. People forget that often to shape and build up the butt we might need to GAIN muscle which generally requires a calorie surplus.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like feeling strong when I'm not working out. Example: Yesterday, had both dogs (total of 75-80 lbs. of dog!) out for a walk, huge amount of broken glass on the sidewalk and no way to walk around it, so I hoisted one dog up with each arm and walked over the glass for about 100 ft. and set them back down. The woman driving past me did a double take. :smile:
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You've heard of "Runners High", right? When I was lifting regularly, I got that same feeling. It wasn't even all about being firm, it just felt good. There was mental clarity and a sense of well being I hadn't had before, and currently don't have (hence, getting back into it). Plus, I suck at cardio lol. I do a little cardio only to warm up. Any other cardio is on my bike in the woods.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1. For my *kitten*.

2. For my *kitten*.

3. For my *kitten*.

4. Cuz muscle looks and feels fantastic.

5. For strong bones.

QFT :drinker:

QFQFT :drinker:

Oh yeah.

Like a lot of others here, I also enjoy being strong.
  • KHal11715
    KHal11715 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just recently started lifting again and I am so happy I did! It makes me feel strong and it's something I look forward to. Looking forward to seeing results and putting more weight on the bar!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Because it makes me feel strong and sexy

Because it actually does make me strong and sexy

Because it gives me the strength to climb walls and ropes and other challenges at Spartan races

Because I enjoy it

Because it lets me eat more.

I read this article today on this subject actually that I am now in love with: http://www.dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-diet/1200-calories/
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I've used weights for a couple years, but at the beginning of this year my focus shifted to lifting as heavy as I can :happy:

I'm short (5'2"), so my whole life people have probably viewed me as weak. If I asked for assistance with carrying something, they would take over, and it drove me crazy! Now I know I am capable of lifting and moving heavier objects. I don't have to rely on anyone else and I LOVE that feeling.

It's given me a confidence I didn't have before. I feel more sure of myself in my everyday life. I love the challenge and the feeling of being able to lift heavier. I feel like I'm starting to already notice changes in my body shape and that makes me feel really good about myself.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Marines delay female fitness plan after half fail pull-up test More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do three pull-ups, the minimum standard that was supposed to take effect with the new year, prompting the Marine Corps to delay the requirement, part of the process of equalizing physical standards to integrate women into combat jobs.

This is one reason why women should lift, so more can fight and die for the US. That and save my back when I move.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Our military standards should not be lowered for anybody. it's bad enough that the weight requirements were already relaxed years ago.

quote]
    Marines delay female fitness plan after half fail pull-up test More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do three pull-ups, the minimum standard that was supposed to take effect with the new year, prompting the Marine Corps to delay the requirement, part of the process of equalizing physical standards to integrate women into combat jobs.

This is one reason why women should lift, so more can fight and die for the US. That and save my back when I move.
    [/quote]
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I have switched to 3x5. I have the bar on my upper back; not my neck. I can't say that I go beyond parallel, though.

Are you going deep enough (Just past parallel)? Are you doing low-bar squats (these hit the butt easier/more)? If you've been doing it for a while you could drop to 3x5, then add in some things like lunges or barbell hip thrusts. Or really, since you are losing you might not have much luck building or shaping the muscle while on a deficit. You might have to wait until you reach your goal and are eating at maintenance. Then if that doesn't work you might have to eat at a slight surplus. People forget that often to shape and build up the butt we might need to GAIN muscle which generally requires a calorie surplus.