Do you log zero calorie foods in your dairy?

Options

Replies

• rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I try and log everything I eat so I have a good idea what my intake is.
    I tend to also weigh everything out or follow the portion suggestion. Trouble is when my hubby cooks he is very much a "I'll just add a bit of this, and a load of that" never know for sure my in take at those meals but I try and estimate as best I can!
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options

*hi my name is Pseudomuffin and I'm an intermittent food logger :cry:

lol...I hear you:ohwell:
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As others are pointing out, I refuse to let logging become tedious for me so I do not log things like spices and "zero" calorie items (though I rarely have "zero" calorie items). It may work great for some to log everything, but one of the things that has made this plan work for me is its ease. I'm not about to compromise that for a few calories here or there.

That said, I only log half of my exercise calories partly for this reason. I also tend to taste while I cook, and I just won't keep up with this plan if I have to stop and log while cooking.

I think what it really comes down to is that if what you are doing is working for your lifestyle and you're losing weight, great! If you're not seeing the results you'd like to see, then it's probably time to adjust.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    one pickle = 4 calories
    hot sauce = 0 calories

yes on the pickle no on the hot sauce.

I don't log mustard ether. :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Water is the only true zero calorie drink, but I still log it because I want to track my fluid intake.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't track drinks where the calories are negligible.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Diet soda, pickles, hot sauce, dried spices/herbs, fresh herbs and spices, medicine, a mouthful of celery. Why?
    1. Sodium. It adds up fast and a lot of low/no calorie items are loaded with sodium.
    2. Patterns. I can track my weight and see how my choices and cravings affect my day. Did I lose a lot of weight I added garlic to everything? Was I able to add basil to my eggs instead of salt to flavor them, or did I just crave more salt later? Did that hot sauce cause me to chug soy milk?
    3. Diligence. Not logging 2-5 calories here is a slippery slope. Sure, you'd have to neglect to log 5 calories for over 700 days (or 2 years) to gain a pound. But if you eat 2 pickles and then hot sauce with chicken on a bed of lettuce every day, it adds up. It also makes you more likely to get lazy with other low calorie foods,
    4. Vitamins and Minerals. MFP tracks your nutrition in addition to calories. I like that I know I'm getting enough potassium, Vitamin A, and Iron. Not logging those small things means you're not getting an accurate picture of your vitamins and minerals.
  • bdwill83
    bdwill83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't log lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, etc. I don't log coffee itself but I do log the creamer (milk or powder).
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wish that there was zero calorie dairy....
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to record everything I eat or drink, although very occasionally I will skip it if it's just one sip/bite (trying something my husband has for example). I'm mainly concerned with calories, but I'm also keeping an eye on my macros and sodium intake, and more data is better imo.

edit: also, part of the reason I record almost everything is that part of my goals with mfp is to be very honest with myself about how much I'm eating.
  • BackToWeddingWeight
    Options
    Yes, add them because although they might not have calories, they do have other things such as sodium, vitamins, etc. Also if you have enough they will have calories.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I log everything including vitamins. I take vitamin C 500mgs. I was very surprised when I learned that it has 9 calories. a calcium gummy has 15 calories.
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what about water? I drink the Sparking water and it has Zero everything.
  • greatfoodlady
    Options
    Yes, if it goes in your mouth....log it!! I keep track of more than just cals. Both of the items you listed are probably high in sodium, which is something I watch closely. You'd be surprised at the places sodium lurks....baby carrots for one! Totally threw me for a loop! And just about EVERYTHING has some type of cals in it, even if it says <1g. Enough of those "less thans" add up to something eventually. Example: a pack of splenda. If you aren't tracking other things and don't want to waste the time logging "little stuff", then I would suggest leaving yourself a small handful of cals at the end of the day to cover for those "zero" cal foods. Good luck on your journey!!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Log it all. You will not get a full nutritional picture if you do not log everything. Veggies contain a lot of nutrients and contribute to your carb count. Condiments like hot sauces contribute to sodium counts, which can get pretty high.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything except I don't log my daily coke zero, nor do I (generally) log tea (from bags, no added sugar/milk). I did add them on at least one occasion, but at 2 cals each, I decided that they weren't worth the login, since I generally only drink half the coffee I add in the morning. So if I have a cup of tea later, I figure it's a tradeoff. Not to mention, 2 cals won't put me over. If I ever have 10 cups of tea in a day though I'd prob log that. But 1-2? Not so much.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everything but spices, water, and the odd diet soda. I'm an all or nothing kind of person though so even slacking on recording a stick of gum just sets me up for getting lazy towards logging in general.
  • saraparkes
    saraparkes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log all of my "0" calorie foods, including my morning vitamins. It matters a whole lot if you are looking at your nutrition percentages. I was able to determine that I wasn't getting enough iron daily.