Gym membership or Kettlebell??

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
I know, it sounds like a ridiculous comparison. But, I really can't afford both right now. So... would I be better off buying a kettlebell to use at home, or get the gym membership for a month and see how that goes?

I have 35 lbs to lose and LOTS of toning to do. I've heard strength training can do wonders for toning (freeweights, which is what I'd be getting the membership for) but I've also heard that kettlebell routines are good for the same.

Opinions?

Replies

• thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells do wonders girl go for it!
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most gyms have kettlebells, plus tons of other equipment to use
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    Since the gym membership is only for a month get the kettlebells
  • healthyplans
    healthyplans Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership where I use their kettlebells of different weights... that is one of the benefits of gym membership--lots of variety. Sorry, I'm not much help... but good luck finding what works for you.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Since the gym membership is only for a month get the kettlebells

I agree with this. Fitnessblender.com has some great kettlebell workouts for free, as well as other types of workouts (cardio, yoga/pilates, bodyweight training, etc.) if you want to mix it up.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    A set of kettle bells will run you about 300 - 400 dollars USD.

or you just mean one kettle bell? It would be good for a week until you need to increase weight.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

This is my general take. While I'm a big fan of at-home workouts, you're likely to find a greater variety of programs and equipment at the gym.

The reason more of my exercise regimen tends to be at-home or running around the neighborhood is that it's easier schedule-wise. I don't have to worry about hours of operation or times when crowds get heavy. But I still use the gym twice a week to lift.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

this.

while a kettlebell is a pretty versatile piece of equipment, a gym is great and you have access to a lot of stuff.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If those are your choices, chose a gym that has free kettle bell classes. It is really easy to do the kettle bell moves wrong, so it would be good to start with someone that can check your form.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would say it is a personal preference to whether you want to work out at home or at a gym. What are your plans long term? If you are going to make this a lifestyle and like the gym environment then I would say do that, they would have everything you want (kettle bells, free weights, cardio equipment, etc). But again it will come down to your preferences, some people just prefer to work out at home over the gym...... Best of Luck....

edited to add:

I am 100% for the Gym, I prefer it because I have access to a vast variety of training equipment and classes.....
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    I based my response off of her saying that she'd only be able to afford a month of gym membership.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I would say it is a personal preference to whether you want to work out at home or at a gym. What are your plans long term? If you are going to make this a lifestyle and like the gym environment then I would say do that, they would have everything you want (kettle bells, free weights, cardio equipment, etc). But again it will come down to your preferences, some people just prefer to work out at home over the gym...... Best of Luck....

My long term will not be working out in a gym. I am mainly a runner but need some serious help in the mid-section and everything points to strength training to tone that up. At this point in time, I'd only be able to pay for a month at the gym and then would have to figure something out, which is why I was wondering which would be more efficient at this point.

Thanks!
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I say Kettlebell at least by the end of the month you would have something to show for it. If you ever needed to at least you can sell the KettleBell and get some money back out of it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Personally... I have found that since I invested in a few tools to use at home... I get a workout in MUCH more often. No excuses because you don't have to go anywhere. There are some awesome videos on youtube to help you get started with a good kettlebell routine.
  • TLHarwick
    TLHarwick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Kettlebells. I got a set at WM (3 - 5lbs, 10lbs, 15lbs) at WM for like $60.00.
    I have also been enjoying the free trial of the Daily Burn - they have a whole Kettleball workout progression set. It is easy to get hurt if you use them incorrectly, so the introduction to form and progressive difficulty was nice when I first got them.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What it comes down to is which one would YOU use the most? Personally, I'd pick the gym, becaue a gym membership gives you a LOT more options for workouts, but I also lack the self-discipline to workout at home the way I do when I'm around other people. It depends on your personality.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    deleted (duplicate post)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    sorry...server crashed at work and posted the same thing 3 times :ohwell:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

My long term will not be working out in a gym. I am mainly a runner but need some serious help in the mid-section and everything points to strength training to tone that up. At this point in time, I'd only be able to pay for a month at the gym and then would have to figure something out, which is why I was wondering which would be more efficient at this point.

Thanks!

Do either...

...but more importantly, do some reading about "toning" a specific part of your body. Of course, this depends on your definition of "toning". If you mean "building muscle", then absolutely, you can do that for a specific part of your body. However, if you mean "losing fat", then no, that's going to come from your overall calorie deficit. Assuming it's the latter (as it almost always is), then your diet will be the determining factor.

And whichever one you choose, when you have more funds available, try the other. Each approach has its own pros and cons that are very individually specific, and these pros and cons can vary for each person depending on other circumstances.

ETA: And as has been said, you'll need to find something you can do consistently over a much longer period of time than one month. Progress takes time...and then you'll need consistency to maintain that progress. Fitness is not a one-time destination where you achieve your goal and are then done.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I vote GYM. You could probably achieve a lot with just kettlebells, but outgrow them quickly.