Are You Happy With How You Look As You Lose?

Options
Wondering how people feel about how they look along this weight loss journey. All along my biggest fear has been ending up with loose skin. I wanted to only lose 1 pound a week in the hopes of preventing that, at least somewhat. Even though I increased my calories several times, I still lost two pounds most weeks until recently. I have done weight training all along to try to preserve muscle, but I'm not sure it's been working. I feel so flabby. And there sure isn't much left on the chest! i know it's still worth it for my health, and the way I look in clothes, but not sure otherwise!

Replies

• mdinms
    mdinms Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just hit a 40 lb loss, with about 35 more to go, and its taken about 6 months to get this far. I firmly believe that I will have loose skin on my tummy, (and my boobs have shrunk :( too ) and I have come to be at peace with it. I already look better in clothes, and I feel better, so I just take the good with the bad.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am doing some light strength training to hopefully tone up as I slim down & am ensuring I don't drop too quickly so my body can adjust, but that's about it. Generally speaking I look better than I did... I am MUCH healthier & that is enough for me! I also know that once I get to a maintenance phase my body will be able to spend more energy "catching up" w/ the weight loss.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, the younger you are, the better. Only wish I had done this sooner.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have lots of rippling, dimpling cottage cheesy skin and loose skin. And my face looks weird to me. I mean, better without the three extra chins and re-emergence of my neck, but different. I can get self-conscious about it, if I'm honest. But I also know I'm the only one noticing and that this is still better than the puffy, fat chick squeezing out of my chair or my pants or my bra. And after nursing, my shape is now pear instead of hourglass (esp with how I lose weight - hips last). And it's weird losing in different parts, so I'm in between random sizes (need a bigger size for my arms, but then things are loose on my chest, or whatever).

But it's still better than it was. So I focus on that. The end result will be a lot better, I think.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    hell yes. i love how I look. I love how I feel. I love the new lifestyle. =) it's a great feeling knowing I can buy smaller clothes. I just went from 3x to a Large. and I feel and look great.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    I am not seeing the flabby part yet, but only down 6lbs but I have worried too ! When I am shopping this week, I plan on buying a loofa or other roughish sponge to wash my tummy area with in hopes that that will stimulate the skin to shed faster and hopefully (maybe I'm dreaming) shed to the new right smaller size.

I could never ever afford any sort of plastic surgery to tighten any thing up and in truth am not a huge fan of cosmetic surgery - so can't imagine trying it if I could afford it; but for some it is a real possibility. Looking at some of the success story pics of folks who lost 2-300 lbs the amount of extra skin would be tough to keep clean, dry and healthy and if I was in that situation I might be more likely to consider/do it.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yeah I lost 1.5 stone so far but have stretch-marks, feel much better in general.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    very happy with how I look...but my weight hasn't changed that to be honest.

I am losing weight for health...I have always been confident in how I look...
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    lifting while losing helps a lot!
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I really can't imagine that. Must be nice.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I really can't imagine that. Must be nice.

I know lots can't...I think it was in my upbringing...I was always told how cute I was, what a cute little figure I had (I was never a small female but curvy) and as a women in my early 20's always had male attention...most call me conceited...hehe

I wont say that the "being smaller" part isn't nice it is...and yes Lifting helps a lot...
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, both of my parents had very low self esteem, and my Dad was not one to give compliments. I didn't actually have any positive role models in my life, so all of that didn't help.
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a general rule I am happy with the way I look with each pound lost. I have hit times where the skin grossed me out but it always seems to tone up and look more normal. I figure during those phases I look good clothed and not naked but I know I will get there!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have extra skin under my clothes that nobody sees versus weighing what I used to. Because everyone can see your shape when you are bigger but not everyone can see your skin. I'll take being smaller any day of the week. The speed at which you lose doesn't have as big an effect as your genetics and health does.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things. Age, and how long you have been overweight have a lot to do with it , also.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I notice sometimes i hate the way i look and then i will loose another 10lbs and i will be like oh i look so much better…but then after another five i'll feel lumpy again. I don't think you should judge yourself during the journey cause it is all gonna change. As you workout your gonna build more muscle and that will make everything tighter. I don't know if you will have what you think is a perfect body but you will look and feel better then you use to.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh part of loose skin is just genetics and age. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I promise you see it more than anybody else does.

I know women who have "loose skin" who have never even been overweight, simply had a child and got a little older. A little loose skin is just a natural part of life, Women who have flat washboard tummies after thirty are gifted genetically. A lot of us, no matter how much work we put in just won't look that way. Everybody's body is not the same. And you have to learn to be happy with your body no matter what size it is. You only get one. You might as well love it faults and all.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    And that being said. I feel fat no matter whether I am in a healthy weight range or not. We all have days where we love the way we look and days where we hate it. Losing weight doesn't necessarily stop you from feeling fat. It never did with me
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Im also 53 i have lost 25 lbs in the last 1 1/2 years so i definetly did it slow also have lifted the whole time. The most i ever lost (40 lbs) previously was in my 30 s and i dont remember having issues with skin.Whats weird is for the first time in my life i love my arms cant wait for summer and no sleeves ,the thighs are ok still have cellulite but im ok with that. What im having a hard time accepting is my abdomen, most women complain about a pouch,but my fatty area is above my waistlline and my lower stomach is flat but ive got loose skin,not the kind from massive weightloss but what i call old lady skin. I have it on my arms right above my elbows too, but you only see it when i reach down. I do ab exercises 5 days a week so i know there under there but yet i think i need some fat as filler so to speak. I would like to lose 10 more lbs but im probably just going to up my strenght training and hope the muscle will fill out these areas. Im wearing a bikini this summer, in florida theres lots of old saggy women on the beach so ill be fine :)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a little loose skin on my stomach but I think that has a lot to do with my pregnancy... I don't care about it in the slightest.

As I lose I get more and more pleased with the way I look. Strength training is the key!