Borderline overweight and embarassed to go jogging outside!

Options
13»

Replies

• faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers! It's not like I don't know I shouldn't care, but it really helps to hear it from you.
    I think it's great that you all go out there and run, regardless of what other people might (or might not!) think.
    I think my problem has more to do with my self-confidence than my weight. I am very self conscious and for example, when I hear people laughing, I ask myself if they are laughing at me. Is that what you mean by "vanity issues"?
    I went for a walk to see where I could run, and there were a LOT of different people running, and nobody seemed to care. I might give it a try later today.
    Running with a group would probably no work for me, I like exercising alone and at my own pace.
    Thank you again for the encouragement!

I wouldn't call it "vanity issues." I'd call it being 23. By the time you hit 32, you will stop caring about other people. However, that's a long time to wait to run outside. Start now. Be a hottie when you are 32.

Not true, and kind of ageist to say :)

I stopped caring what people thought about me years ago... and I'm only 26. :)
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Do it for yourself. Most people either won't notice you or will think "good for her". I trained for 2 marathons at 180-190 pounds. People were so supportive on the course.
  • salvesol
    salvesol Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, a fairy new runner, and I run on a college campus. If I can do it, you can do it. :tongue:

Who cares what other people think - you're not out there for them, you're doing this for you. Get yourself some running clothes that you like and that make you feel awesome, then go run, and feel more awesome for doing it!
    Splurge on really cute work out clothes.

The majority of people will think you're awesome for getting out there. The other people will keep their comments to themselves. Even if I'm slow and jiggly, I enjoy the outdoors and my music, and think I'm a baller for being a runner at all.

I live on campus, and of course, for my first time jogging, I run into someone I know! I think this will happen a lot.
    I invested in a new running jacket that hides all the jiggly parts (and also protects me from the cold lol). I hope it doesn't get hot too soon :).

Seriously nice fitting clothes really help! Thank you for the advice
  • salvesol
    salvesol Posts: 15
    Options
    The low self confidence will turn into great self confidence and healthy pride the more you get out there and do it :) Trust me :)

I really hope so! I feel next time I go jogging it will be easier already!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In the words of the Angry Jogger, self doubt is a temporary mental barrier and you can overcome it. I think you are AWESOME for getting out there and doing it! Go go go!!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly people don't really think twice about it. I know if I see someone jogging my first thought is "good for them" not "what is that fat a** doing jogging?"

I second this, and I am overweight and I run outside all the time, way more fun that the treadmill. Teenage boys have yelled rude stuff at me before but that's it. Oh well, that's what happens when there is too much testosterone and not enough brains available. People I know who have seen me running all have very supportive things to say about it. All in all (positive or negative) their opinion does not matter, yours does! Go out and rock it and feel good about doing it :)
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I just finally started jogging outside after a month of running laps around my apartment. I'm 5'4" 168lb 23 year old woman, I look hilarious jogging, but I squeeze into my sports bra, zip up an oversized hoodie and turn on some music. It was hard to let judging strangers see me jogging in public, but I want to run a 5k by my birthday and that would be much more embarrassing to do without any real outdoor jogging under my plus sized belt.
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have run for years, and the only comments anyone has made to me that made me self-conscious was my ex as he used to say my form was dorky (hey, he's the only one that has ever said it and at least I'm trying to do something healthy)! Whenever I see someone larger running, I always think "great job" and good for them for doing it. You do NOT sound like a large person and I wouldn't think twice about what you looked like - just that you were doing something good for yourself and way to go.
  • Lizziebenz7
    Options
    I am 21 and nearly 14 stone, my weight fluctuates and goes from 13.00, to 14.9ibs. I need to do something about it but I have the same issue the thought of joining a gym with perfect bodies is just to hard to bare. I don't mind going on walks with friends but running alone by myself and other people's perspective makes me more anxious to go. When I was at my fittest, going to fitness classes my best friend told me about how anxious and paranoid I was of what other people thought of me, and now I refuse to go. The pounds are growing and I am only 21 someone help! xx
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When I see anyone jogging (or biking) I think to myself "Good for them!
    There are two people I see at my pool and I'm so humbled by them. One is a gorgeous woman who I suspect weighs close to 400 pounds. She works so hard in the water aerobic class for a full hour. Another is a woman who is well over 80. She's a tiny little thing all misshapen by osteoarthritis and its a struggle for her to even walk..it's so good to see her in the pool.
    Don't let what others' may think about you stop you from doing what is good for YOU!