Runners - what do you do during your run?

Options

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I always listen to music because I measure the lengths of my run in 'songs' haha.

So say if I want to run a 5k I'm like, OK right that's only 10 songs - that's so easy to make through I can do that. And I don't know why but it really helps.

Also if I'm feeling like giving up I imagine Jillian Michaels next to me screaming "Unless you puke, faint or die KEEP GOING" and it works.
    I've found your legs tend to be able to keep going as long as your mind does!

I agree.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Music is on but if its going well I tend to completely zone out.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill I watch tv while listening to music.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This

thatssotrue_com_1257_1329759570.gif

Not really, it's definitely this:

"Ok...breathe, there's a rock, ok...breathe, my ponytail is falling out, ok...am I breathing?, I think I know her, is this another hill?, ok...breathe...."
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I usually always listen to music, unless I am running a race, then I don't listen to music. I like to listen to other people...
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    "Listen" to music. I put that in quotes because I really tend to completely zone out during my runs; they're pretty much the only time when I'm not thinking... totally clears my head.

This. I have earbuds in and music playing, but I tend to zone out as well.
    Me three. As long as I can't hear myself huffing and puffing away, I won't poop out so fast.

I often run just to zone out with the music often times blaring to the point of questionable onlookers that I pass. Running is for mental clarity not exercise. For me. And, music is one form of therapy whether I pay attention to it or not must be going to keep me in the right zone.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    No music if I am running on streets or in the country. Good time to collect my thoughts and pray. If I am on an outdoor track I "might" listen to music or listen to German language courses. I say might because usually I prefer running without something in my ears. I cannot run on a treadmill without collapsing from boredom.

Mike
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Listen to music, concentrate on pace, and think about food.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running2

Haha.. me too!!! I'm always thinking about what I'm going to eat after the run!
  • susielou22
    susielou22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually run by myself at 6 am , not a person to be seen. When I'm doing those runs i use my zombie run! app, it's great! it's got a cool storyline, and mixes my music in too. the KM fly by :) sometimes when i'm going to the gym ( usually with a friend) I'll use the treadmill, so i'll usually talk to them. though tbh, my treadmill runs are usually crank it up high and try and stay on, so i don't have much time to talk :P
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill, I'll just watch TV or stare out the window. Outside, I count or sing a tune in my head to keep my pace as regular as possible.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Besides running? I like to punch old ladies, kick kittens, and stomp on puppies.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    On the dreadmill, I'll watch a tv show. Outside I will listen to music, audiobooks, or zombies!Run. The audiobook has to be really compelling and have a good reader and music has to be very upbeat (reggaeton/dance music rather than my favorites such as 10 years or breaking benjamin). I definitely don't zone out all of the way though that would probably be helpful. I'm always hyper aware of my surroundings, because you never know when someone or an animal might attack. Someone who isn't paying any attention is a perfect target.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Music when outside, Netflix/shows on my iPad on the treadmill.

This
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    There's so much to think about in terms of correct form:

posture, foot strike, relaxation, cadence, breathing

Getting my form right makes me run faster with less effort and less risk of injury.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I only run outside, not much happening this winter where I am BUT, when I run, I love listening to music - crank up the tunes and it's totally me time.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Also, with trail running, it's dangerous to think about anything besides where your foot is about to land. I don't trip and fall every time my mind wanders, but every time I fall down, I was thinking about something else besides where my feet go.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    long road runs - zone out, think through life/relationship/job problems, or sometimes think about what I would do if I won one of those 300 million dollar lottery jackpots (despite the fact that I do not play the lottery)

trail runs - mainly just concentrate on not breaking an ankle. Its good for when I need to clear my head and not really think about anything at all.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Listen to books. Currently re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe when I finish Martin will have published another book! <well, one has hopes anyway...>
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    listen to music when running outside, when inside on treadmill listen to music/watch TV.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Listen to music if I need motivation or just think if I need to relax. I try to steer clear of treadmills as much as possible. They are only good for icy days.